A Painful Choice

The Love Replacement
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Song inserted in this chap: Can You Hear Me by Taeyeon (credit to owner)

 

3 years ago…

 

“Congratulations, Park Shin Hye-sshi. You are 4 weeks pregnant.”

“What?!” Park Shin Hye almost shouted. Confusion glimmered through her widening eyes. “B-But… it’s impossible. I was on birth control pills all this while.” After she did it with Min Ho for the first time, she knows she have to do some protection to prevent things to get more complicated. She was on birth control pills and she thought it was the safest.

The doctor raised her brows, looking at Shin Hye in surprise. “Perhaps… you miss taking the pill on one or more days?”

Shin Hye parted her lips and wanted to say no but then something crossed her mind. The word immediately got stuck in . The doctor was right. She missed the pill during the week when her grandmother passed away. She was very sad and totally forgotten about the pill. And she was still being ually active with Min Ho. She gasped softly as a cold shiver shot through her body. She slowly looked up at the doctor with her face turning pale.

“I-I… I think I did missed the pill for few days.” She said with a quivering voice.

The doctor nodded. “Birth control pills can be up to 99% effective in preventing pregnancy if you taken it correctly. However, women who are taking birth control pills would occasionally get pregnant too. When this happens, it is most often because of something the women did and not because the pill itself somehow failed to work. Neglects to take the pill on one or more days is the most common mistake that always happens.” She explained before she looked down at the file again. “According to your record here, you are not married yet and you are quite young. I presumed that you have a boyfriend to discuss about this.”

Shin Hye’s mind went completely blank as her hands were balled into tight fists. She was pregnant. This was something that has never cross her mind before. She was only 21 years old and her relationship with Min Ho was somehow uncertain. Although he wanted their relationship to continue as it is but everything was still bind under a contract. There were no clauses stated in the contract on what will happen if she got pregnant. How is she going to tell Min Ho about this? He will freak out or might think she did this on purpose to trap him.

“Park Shin Hye-sshi…?”

She quickly looked up at the doctor again when she heard her name.

“Are you okay?” The doctor asked.

Shin Hye smiled awkwardly as she nodded her head. “M-May I know is the… baby healthy?”

The doctor laughed softly. “You are only pregnant for 4 weeks. It’s still too early to arrange for an ultrasound to check the baby’s heartbeat. In most cases, where there are no problems, you will have two ultrasounds during your pregnancy. The first will be your dating ultrasound that is booked between 10 weeks and 13 weeks. During your dating ultrasound, the sonographer will put gel on your belly and move a transducer over your skin. You will then be able to see a view of your baby and hear the heartbeat.”

Shin Hye looked down at her flat stomach and gently placed her hand against it. A slight smile slowly spread across her face. The fear inside of her was now slowly replaced by happiness. It sounds so good when the doctor said the words “her baby”. It makes her feel not alone anymore. She will have a family again. She has a baby inside of her, a baby that belongs to her and Min Ho.

But then she looked up at the doctor and asked worriedly. “I didn’t know that I was pregnant and I was still taking the pill this morning. Will this cause any problem to the baby?”

The doctor pursed her lips as she looked at her. “As I said, you are just 4 weeks pregnant. It’s still too early to know whether the baby is healthy or not. Everything has to wait until your first ultrasound. But looking at your condition now, I would say everything is normal. Taking birth control pills during early pregnancy doesn’t appear to increase the risk of birth defects in most of the cases.”

Shin Hye let out a sigh of relief but then turned worried again. “But I was bleeding a little this morning. I thought I’m having my period.”  

The doctor smiled. “If it’s just a little then it should be fine. Bleeding during pregnancy is common especially for the first trimester. It usually doesn’t cause any problem. Don’t worry too much. The most important thing that you need to do now is to get enough rest and sleep. During your first trimester of the pregnancy, morning sickness can strike at anytime of the day or night. You will continue to suffer for a little while. I’ll give you some vitamins and I will schedule your next visit 3 weeks later. But in case you have any unusual pain in your stomach or the bleeding doesn’t stop and keep increasing, come to see me immediately.”

Shin Hye listened very carefully at what the doctor said as she nodded her head. “I will be very careful.” She smiled and bowed politely at the doctor before she walked out of the consultation room.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------

 

Shin Hye was mindlessly stirring the soup in the pot and didn’t notice that Min Ho was silently tiptoed his way to her and suddenly embraced her from behind.

“Ahhh…” She screamed, startled by his sudden attack. She sighed softly and hit his arm. “You almost gave me a heart attack. I’m holding a ladle and this pot is very hot. It’s very dangerous. You might get hurt if I drop the ladle on you.”

Min Ho smiled as he rested his chin on her shoulder. “I’m sorry.” He said. “What are you doing?”

Shin Hye turned slightly to the side to look at him. “Can’t you see? I’m cooking for our dinner.”

Min Ho raised his brows. “Cooking? I didn’t know you know how to cook.”

She laughed softly. “I used to help my grandmother to cook last time. Although I don’t cook very often but I’m quite confident with my cooking skill.” She said proudly.

Min Ho smiled as he pinched her nose playfully. “Why are you making yourself so tired? We can just go out to eat like we used to do every night.”

Shin Hye stopped stirring the soup as she put the ladle down. She turned around and wrapped her arms around his neck. “I heard older people said that in order to keep a man’s heart, we have to make sure his stomach is well fed. Once the man couldn’t live without that woman’s food, he will not be able to run away from her anymore.” She pressed herself closer to him and smiled. “Will you dare to try? It might be a poison that only I have the antidote.”

Min Ho narrowed his eyes at her. “Are you trying to scare me? Why do I feel like you are becoming more and more dangerous?”

Looking deep into his eyes, Shin Hye moved closer. “Dangerous how?” She asked softly.

“Like you are trying to tie me up and lock me in here.” He whispered seductively as his hand pointed at her chest.

Shin Hye smiled slightly. “It’s only fair if I lock you inside because you have already locked me in there.” She said as her hand pressed against his chest.

Min Ho held her eyes for a long second. Trying to change the topic, he pulled back slightly and looked at the pot. “What are you cooking? It smells delicious.”

To prevent him to see her disappointment, Shin Hye quickly turned around, took the ladle and started to stir the soup again. “It’s galbitang. I know you like beef. I saw the recipe online and thought of trying it out.” She then turned her head to the side and looked at him. “Wait outside. It will be ready soon.”

He leaned over and kissed her cheek softly before he nodded. “Okay.”

Staring at his back, Shin Hye moved her hand to her stomach and caressed it softly. She was actually planning to tell him about her pregnancy tonight since he was in a good mood today. But with his reaction just now, she was sure the feeling she have for him was still one sided. He may like her but it’s not love. She sighed silently before turning back to the stove.

 

“Oppa, do you like it? This is my first time cooking galbitang. Give me some comment.” Shin Hye asked expectantly as she looked straight at Min Ho who was taking another spoonful of soup into his mouth.

Min Ho creased his brows, looking sourly at her. “Hmmm… it tasted…” He paused and bit his lip.

The smile on Shin Hye’s face immediately vanished. “It can’t be that bad, right. I tried the taste just now and it was okay.” She took the spoon up and tried the soup herself. After she took a sip, she looked up at him. “It tasted okay.”

Min Ho laughed and pinched her nose softly. “I was just teasing you. This is the best galbitang I have ever tasted.” He said as he continued to eat the food. 

Shin Hye smiled as she begins to eat too. Stealing glances at him every now and then, the words she wanted to tell him stuck in . She needs to be honest with him before he find out about it later. She took a deep breath and straightened herself up on the chair. She cleared before looking at him.

“Oppa…”

“Yes?” Min Ho looked up at her.

Shin Hye parted her lips slightly but she just couldn’t find her voice to continue.

“Wae?” Min Ho asked.

Clearing again, she looked down at her bowl. She bit her lower lip nervously. “I-If So Ra didn’t run away and both of you are married, did you plan… to have children with her?” She immediately regretted the words as soon as they escaped . Pabo Park Shin Hye. She scolded herself inside. Out of so many ways, she used the worst one by mentioning about So Ra.

She sighed silently before looking up at him slowly. Once their eyes met, her body went rigid instantly. “I-I’m sorry. It was just a curiosity…”

“No.” Min Ho cut her off.

Shin Hye froze her eyes at him. “No?” She asked in confusion.

Min Ho sighed deeply. “We never talk about that before. But I know she love children. I guess if we are married, it won’t need any planning.” He smiled. “It will come naturally and no matter how many children she wants, I will give her. As long as she is the mother of my children, I will be more than happy.”

Told you it was a stupid a question. You are just giving him a chance to hurt you. Shin Hye scolded and laughed silently at herself. She moved her hand to her stomach and in a sudden; she felt a slight pain inside. She wonders was it the reaction of her baby after hearing what his/her father said. She felt a slow burning pain building up in her chest. She put a spoonful of rice into , trying hard to hold her tears.

“But it will never happen. She is gone now.” Min Ho continued. The pain in his voice was evident.

Swallowing the rice forcefully into , Shin Hye looked at him again. “She will come back. Even though I don’t know when but I have a feeling that she will come back. At that time, you will get your happy ending.” She smiled at him.

A sudden consciousness hit his mind hard when he saw a glimpse of hurt in her eyes. “Shin Hye-ah… I-I’m sorry. I didn’t mean…”

Before she could let him finish his sentence, she felt a wave of nausea rolled over her. Her stomach lurched and she wanted to throw up. She put the spoon down and rushed to the toilet.

“Shin Hye…” Min Ho was frightened by her and quickly got up, following her from behind and found her kneeling in front of the toilet bowl throwing up. He squatted down besides her, gently her back, soothing her. “Are you okay?” He asked worriedly looking at her pale face.

After throwing up what was left in her stomach, she flushed the toilet and with the help of Min Ho, she walked to the basin and washed . She took the face towel at the side and wiped her face.

Still looking at her, Min Ho said worriedly. “You look very sick. Let’s go to the hospital.”

Shin Hye put the towel down and turned to him. She smiled slightly. “I’m okay. I’ve seen the doctor today.”

Min Ho walked to her and pulled her closer to him. “What did the doctor say?”

Shin Hye looked at him as she bit her bottom lip. This is the best opportunity for her to tell him but something inside of her was holding her back. She was scared. The fear of him leaving her was the thing that was holding her from telling him the truth.

“The doctor said…” I’m pregnant, pregnant with your baby. She was screaming inside. She inhaled a deep breath. “She said… it was just a minor intestinal infection. I’ll feel better after taking some medicines.”

His brows furrowed together as he caressed her cheeks. “Why didn’t you tell me? And you still cook for me when you are not feeling well?” He sighed. “Are you feeling better now? Do you still want to eat or you want to rest?” He asked with concern.

She has totally loss her appetite after hearing what he said during the dinner just now. She would prefer to rest and stop herself from thinking too much. “I don’t feel like eating anymore. I’ll wait until you finish and clean up. I’ll rest after that.”

“It’s alright. I’ll clean. You should just go to rest. Have you taken the medicines?” Min Ho asked again.

Shin Hye nodded softly.

“Okay.” Min Ho pulled her out from the bathroom, walking towards their bedroom and laid her down on the bed. her head gently, he tucked the comforter around her. “Sleep. I’ll go to finish up the food and clean the dishes.”

Shin Hye smiled as she closed her eyes. After she heard the door closed, she slowly opened her eyes again. Tears began to well up in her eyes.

“What am I going to do now?” She whispered.

 

♩ ♪ ♫ ♩ ♪ ♫

Even though it hurts just a little, tears form

My heart screams out

If I pass in front of you, beside you

You were my whole world, I want only you

But I can’t breathe when I’m in front of you

♩ ♪ ♫ ♩ ♪ ♫

 

Shin Hye had no idea when did Min Ho came into the room but when she woke up in the middle of the night, he was already sleeping beside her with his hand wrapping securely around her waist. She turned her body very softly to his side and looked at his sleeping face. She slowly lifted her hand up, his perfect jawline with a feather-light touch. Listening to his slow and steady breathing, she took in every little detail of his breathtaking handsome face. Her lips slowly curled into a soft smile. Big attractive eyes, tall straight nose, full lips, powerful jawline. She wished that the baby in her stomach were a boy. She wants him to look exactly like him, a small version of him. A sudden picture of them holding their son popped in her mind.

But then, her smile slowly faded when her senses brought her back to the cruel reality. Is that even possible? She asked herself silently. He said it very clearly during the dinner just now. Only So Ra qualified to be the mother of his children. She was definitely not in the list. She was just lucky to accidentally run into his life and got a precious gift from him. Even though he said he likes her and wanted to continue to stay at each other’s side, but it doesn’t mean he really wants her. He just needs her to be with him while waiting for So Ra.

She took a deep breath and cuddled close to his chest, feeling his strong and steady heartbeat. Time was running out. There were only 3 weeks left until their contract end. She needs to make a choice. First one, be honest with him and tell him she was pregnant. Take the risk, hope that he will be responsible and never leave her again because of the baby. But if his reaction was the opposite, she might lose her baby and him at the same time. Second choice, run away with the baby and leave him after the contract ends.

Both were difficult choices for her. She knows happiness hates her and will not come to her easily. She wouldn’t be so lucky to have the man and the baby at the same time. Both of the choices will also lead her to lose him. She really loves him so much that she wanted to stay with him as long as she can. She closed her eyes and tightened her arms around him.

Baby, please hold on for a little longer. Eomma just need a little more time before telling your appa about your existence. We must have faith on him. One day, he will love you… and love me…

 

 ♩ ♪ ♫ ♩ ♪ ♫

As if you weren’t my destiny

As if this was just a fleeting moment

Next to you, who just let me go so easily

I go closer to you step by step

Although I cannot move at all

♩ ♪ ♫ ♩ ♪ ♫

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

Min Ho: Where are you? Have you taken your lunch?

Shin Hye: Eo. I ate something before I came out. I was just hanging around at a shopping mall nearby.

Min Ho: You should rest at home. Your face is so pale and you still look very sick. Have you taken your medicine? Are you sure you are okay? It has been like this for a week already. Do you need to see the doctor again? I can ask Secretary Kim to arrange for you.

Shin Hye: I’m fine. I felt so much better today. Staying at home doing nothing is very boring. I just want to walk around and breathe some fresh air. I’ll take care and go back before dinnertime.

 Min Ho (sighed): Okay. Call me immediately if you are not feeling well. I’ll come to get you.

Shin Hye: Okay. See you later.

She let out a deep sigh after she ended the call with Min Ho. She looked at the baby clothes in front of her and a soft smile spread across her face. She took a cute tiny blue top and stared at it for a long moment. She then looked down at her flat stomach and another sigh escaped . She was 5 weeks pregnant now and she still couldn’t find the courage to tell Min Ho. She knows she couldn’t drag it any longer. No matter how hard it is, she decided that she has to tell him tonight.

She put the baby shirt back to the rack and just when she was about to walk away, a sudden sharp pain hit her lower abdomen and cause her to yelped in pain. She panted deeply, grabbing tightly onto the edge of the rack beside her. She pressed her hand against her stomach and breathed in breathed out, trying to make herself feel better.

“Ahhh…” She screamed softly when another wave of pain gripped her abdomen again. She fell down on the floor with tears rolling down at the corner of her eyes.

“Agasshi, are you okay?” A lady promoter came and kneeled down beside her. She scanned Shin Hye from top to toe and her eyes widened in shock when she saw blood flowing down her leg. “Oh my god, you are bleeding.”

Shin Hye looked down at her leg and started to panic. She quickly grabbed the promoter’s hand and spoke in a quivered voice. “Please send me to the hospital. I’m pregnant.”

 

------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“How is my baby?” Shin Hye asked worriedly when she saw the doctor arrived at the ER.

Reading her file, the doctor let out a soft sigh. “The bleeding has stopped. We have did some test for you and found out that your HCG level is dropping.”

Shin Hye clenched her hand tightly together. “W-What is HCG?”

“HCG is a kind of hormone called human chorionic gonadotropin. It’s produced during pregnancy and made by cells that form the placenta that nourishes the egg after it has been fertilized

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter