An Awaiting Decision

The Love Replacement
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Song inserted in this chap: At Close by Kyuhyun & First Love by Donghae. (credit to owner)

 

“Wah… I didn’t know the scenery in Central Park is so beautiful. I should have come here earlier.” Park Shin Hye said with a lovely smile.

“I’m glad you didn’t.” Lee Min Ho said, looking at her.

Shin Hye turned to him and raised her brows. “Wae?”

“Because if you come with another guy, then you wouldn’t be so surprise when I bring you here now and I won’t have the chance to see your amazing smiles today.” He replied.

“Another guy?” He means Jong Suk? She chuckled. “Oh yeah, I almost forgot. We just met today and we are just normal friends, right.” She smiled and shook her head softly. “You and your role play game.”

“What? Don’t you think it’s fun to meet someone out of the blue in the middle of this beautiful city. And I think it’s romantic to stand here in this beautiful bow bridge, watching over at this beautiful and calming lake right in front of our eyes…” Min Ho paused and looked at her. “… with someone you love.”

Shin Hye smiled lightly as she looked back to the front. “I thought we just met.”

“But I also told you that I already fall in love with you at the garden just now. I guess that’s what we called love at first sight.” Min Ho said.

Turning back to him again, Shin Hye couldn’t help but laughed softly. “It’s really hard for me to cope with this cheesy side of you. I’ve never seen you like this before.” She took a deep breath before she changed the topic. “What’s the name of this bridge again? Bow Bridge?”

Min Ho nodded. “Yes. Bow Bridge was the first cast-iron bridge in the park and the bridge is named for its graceful shape, reminiscent of the bow of an archer or violinist. Like a Victorian confection reflected in the waters of the lake, the Bow Bridge gracefully gathers lovers in real life. This bridge is one of New York’s most romantic settings.” Looking back at her, he smiled. “This bridge is one of the reasons I bring you here to the Central Park today. There were a lot of lovers who had their proposals and weddings here. Able to stand here together with you is one of the most romantic thing that ever happened to me.”  

Shin Hye inhaled softly as their eyes locked at each other. “I didn’t know you are such a romantic and sentimental person.” She smiled. “I think I know one more new thing about you today.”

Looking at her for a long second, Min Ho’s expression slowly turned serious. “I just thought that giving you some sweetness could somehow faded the bitterness that I have caused to you all this while.” He looked down at her hand and held it gently. “Since I was a kid, I seem to get everything too easily and because of that, I seems to neglect the importance of something or someone to me… not until lost it.” Holding her gaze firmly, he squeezed her hand softly. “You were too easy on me in the past. I don’t need to try even a slightness to get a precious person like you. Don’t make the same mistake again.” He paused as he inched closer to her, slowly closing the gap between them. “You are given a chance now. Grabbed it and make it hard on me. Make me chase for you like a crazy man. Make me fall head over heels for you like a desperate man.” He paused again as he grinned slightly. “Although I already am.”

 

♩ ♪ ♫ ♩ ♪ ♫

So your back was really pretty

I finally realized this after seeing you leave

So my heart aches when when tears fall

I finally realized this after seeing you cry, after seeing you leave

♩ ♪ ♫ ♩ ♪ ♫

 

Shin Hye pursed her lips as she moved closer until her lips were just inches apart from him. She tried to suppress a smile but just couldn’t help it when Min Ho gasped nervously with their sudden closeness. Looking deep into his eyes, she smiled. “I’ll try my best to do that. But for the start, you have to stop holding my hand and touch me whenever you want without asking my permission. We just know each other today, remember?” She as she pulled her hand away and lengthened their gaps. Her grin grew wider when she saw the disappointment on his face.

“You are such a tease.” Min Ho bit his lip.

Shin Hye laughed at him. “You set the rules and I just follow.” Putting both her hands behind her back, she stepped back with her head tilted to the side and asked with a cute expression. “So where is our next stop, Mr Romantic?”

Min Ho chuckled as he sighed helplessly. “Since we are at the bridge now, let’s take a romantic paddle around the lake. Enjoyed the lovely view of the lake and feel the soft wind blows against us while row boating. I guess it can be very romantic too. After that, we can have our lunch at the boathouse restaurant. You like cheesecake, right. Their mascarpone cheesecake is a must-try.”

With her eyes narrowed at him, she asked curiously. “Have you been here with any of your girlfriends before? You sounded very familiar with this place.”

“Yah, what girlfriends? You know I only have one in the past besides you.” Min Ho said defensively.

“Are you sure? It has been 3 long years since both of us left you. How can you stand to be alone for such a long time?” Shin Hye again. But to be honest, deep inside of her, she wanted to know whether was there any other woman besides So Ra and her. Even if it’s just for the sake to satisfy his physical needs, she wanted to know too.

Averted his gaze, he ignored her question. “I’ve been here once with a friend and just have a short walk at the garden. But because of this trip, I’ve done a lot of research online. I haven’t tried the food in the restaurant before but they have very good reviews.”

A slight disappointment hit Shin Hye’s chest when he didn’t answer her question. However, she forced herself to forget about it since he tried so hard to make her happy today. She smiled lightly. “I thought you come here for a business trip. How come you are so free today and spend time with me?”

“I am. After tomorrow, I won’t be able to accompany you like now. I will have to attend a lot of meetings to settle the problems for the new project here.” Min Ho sighed before he continued. “I’m sorry but I’ll try my best to finish everything as soon as I can. No matter how busy it is, I’ll make sure the meetings end before 6pm and I’ll come back to have dinner with you.” He promised.

Shin Hye shook her head. “Don’t worry about me. I’m quite familiar with New York. I can take care of myself. Concentrate on your work. I don’t want to disturb you.” She said, assured him with a soft smile. “Okay, my stomach started to growl again. The mascarpone cheesecake you said just now keep appear in my mind. Should we change our plan to eat first before going for the row boating, Lee Min Ho-sshi?”

Min Ho smiled, looking at her. “Anything you want, Park Shin Hye-sshi. Let’s go”

 

--------------------------------------------------------------

 

“So… where are we going now?” Shin Hye asked after they were done with the row boating.

Min Ho glanced down at his watch and it was 3pm now. He smiled before looking back at Shin Hye. “The timing is just right. I think everything is ready now.”

Shin Hye raised her brows in confusion. “Meo? What is ready now?”

He grinned. “You will know it later. Let’s go.”

Shin Hye looked at him suspiciously before she followed behind him.

 

“Ta da…” Min Ho curled his lips into a wide smile when he saw the surprise expression on Shin Hye’s face. “Carriage Ride in the Central Park. Do you like it?”

Shin Hye parted her lips in awe as her eyes were looking at the beautiful Cinderella look-a-like white carriage with a gorgeous white horse. She glanced around at others carriage but all looked the same and none of it was like the one in front of her. She slowly turned to Min Ho and looked at him in disbelief.

“H-How… how…” The words just couldn’t form and it stuck in .

“You mean how come this one is so different from the others?” Min Ho asked, completed her question for her.

Shin Hye nodded.

He grinned as he took a step closer to her. “Because you are different from other people. I woke up very early this morning to make an arrangement for this custom carriage ride.” He paused as he looked at the carriage. “It might looked fairy tale to you but…” He turned back to Shin Hye again. “I want you to feel like a princess today.”

Holding his gaze, Shin Hye bit her lower lip, trying to hold back the tears that were threatening to leak out her eyes. She forced a slight smile at him. “Is that mean I need to make sure I have to be back by 12 midnight today?”

Min Ho chuckled. “And make sure you leave one of shoes for me to find you before you disappear.” He took another step forward and lifted his hand up for her. “Shall we, princess?”

She inhaled a soft breath before giving her hand to him.

 

As the carriage turned into the park, Shin Hye could feel the cool spring breeze blowing softly against her. She closed her eyes and let out a soft smile. She has never been so relax before.

“Do you know it worth every single effort, every single penny just to look at this smile on your face now.”

Shin Hye opened her eyes instantly when she heard Min Ho’s voice. She turned to him and looked into his eyes. “Do you know you are very good in fluttering a girl’s heart? A made-up of coincidence encounter, a peaceful walk in a beautiful garden, a chat at a romantic bow bridge plus a romantic row boating. And now you turned everything into a fairy tale, riding in a Cinderella carriage.” She said as she laughed softly.   

Min Ho smiled. “Did your heart flutter then?”

Holding his gaze firmly, her smile slowly faded. “You are trying very hard to make me happy. Everything was so beautiful. I felt like my incomplete heart started to join the broken pieces back together.”

Min Ho inhaled deeply, still looking into her eyes. “I supposed to do all these earlier but I was 3 years late. It was not easy to get you on the plane with me and fly 11203 miles away from Korea. I’m grateful that after all the bad things I did in the past, I was still given a second chance to sit with you like this. That’s why I need to grab this chance tightly and try harder. Although I’m anxious to know how much time you need but because it’s you, I will wait until your heart completely joined together and become whole again.”

Shin Hye felt her eyes stung by the tears that were flooding in her eyes. She inhaled a deep breath before she spoke. “I’ll give you my answer by the end of this trip.”

He smiled slightly as he exhaled sharply. His heart was thudding impossibly fast and he wasn’t sure he could really wait until the last day of this trip. “No matter what is your decision, I will respect and accept it. If you choose to let go, I promise I will not appear in front of you ever again.” He paused as he looked down and held her hand gently before looking at her again.

“But if you decide to give me another chance, I will not let go of this hand for the second time.”    

 

♩ ♪ ♫ ♩ ♪ ♫

It’s too late but I’m sorry, I didn’t realize how good you were

I’m such a fool, I’m such a fool

Don’t leave me, although you will leave even if I hold onto you

I’m so pathetic, I’m so pathetic

♩ ♪ ♫ ♩ ♪ ♫

 


--------------------------------------------------------------

    

“Wah… I’m very full. The dinner was fantastic. The grilled lamb and the dessert, the blueberry cheesecake is so delicious.” Shin Hye said in a satisfying tone as her hand was caressing her flat stomach. Lovely smiles have never leave her face for the whole day. She was very happy. It has been a long time since she smiles so much. Walking with him at night in the middle of New York City just feel so good and so right.

“Ah, chamna.” Min Ho looked at her as he shook his head in disbelief. “You are lucky that you won’t get fat easily. How come I didn’t know you can eat so much last time? You eat two pieces of cheesecake after your main course just now. And you had one this afternoon during the lunch in Boathouse.”

Shin Hye giggled. “How do you know I won’t get fat easily? I didn’t eat so much in the past.”

“Then why did you eat so much today?” Min Ho asked.

“Because I’m happy.” She smiled. “I had a good sleep last night. I had a delicious breakfast with a beautiful harbor view in front of me this morning. I went to the Central Park for the first time. I saw a lot of beautiful and colourful flowers. I had a yummy mascarpone cheesecake for my lunch. I rowed a boat in a beautiful lake. I even took a Cinderella carriage and rode around the Central Park. How can I not be happy? It was just like a fairy tale.”

Shin Hye turned around, looking at Min Ho while continued walking backwards. She smiled sweetly at him. “And I met a handsome new friend today.” She said, pointing at him.

Min Ho chuckled as he narrowed his eyes. “I didn’t order any wine just now but how come you look like you are drunken? You look high.”

She laughed. “You are right. I think I was drunk and a little bit high. I was… ahhh…” Her sentence was cut off when her back almost hit the lamppost behind her. Fortunately, Min Ho was fast enough and quickly held her in his arms securely before it hit her back.

He let out a deep sigh as his hand was wrapped around her waist, holding her firmly in place. “Yah, be careful.”

Looking up at him, Shin Hye bit her lip. “You are crossing the line again. You are touching me again without my permission.”

“This doesn’t count. I was saving you from falling down just now.” Min Ho said with a slight grin. Tightening his arms around her, he creased his brows. “Why are you so cold?” He sighed before he pulled away from her, took his scarf off and wrapped it around her neck. “It’s late now and it’s getting cold. We should go back to the hotel to rest. Fairy tale for today officially ended now.”

Shin Hye pouted her lips slightly before she nodded.

Min Ho looked down and held her hand tightly before putting their entwined hands into his coat pocket. “Kaja.”

 

When they reached their hotel rooms, both of them stopped and looked at each other for a long moment, standing in front of Shin Hye’s room.

“Thank you for today.” Shin Hye was the first one who broke the silence.

Min Ho smiled as he nodded. “My pleasure.”

Pointing at the door, Shin Hye smiled awkwardly at him. “I… hmmm… I’m going in…”

“I… I don’t get invited for a coffee or something?” Min Ho cut her off, looking at her expectantly.

She looked at him, taken aback by his request. “Hmmm… drinking coffee at night is not good for health.”

An obvious disappointment was written on Min Ho’s face. “O-Okay… I’ll see you tomorrow then. Good night.” He sighed softly before turning away; ready to walk back to his room next to hers. But before he could take the first step, Shin Hye suddenly grasped his arm and stopped him from walking away. It happened so fast that he wasn’t sure the soft lips that pressed against his right cheek were really a kiss or just his illusion.

“Good night.” Shin Hye whispered into his ears before she quickly opened the door and stepped in before Min Ho could react.

Closing the door behind her, Shin Hye leaned her back against the door and heaved a deep breath. She pressed her hand against her chest, trying to calm her heartbeat that was hammering so fast and hard inside. Her lips slowly curled into a soft smile as she brought her hand up and touched her lips softly. Although it was not the first time kissing him but this time was so different. It felt so real and so right. Still smiling widely, she slowly walked into the room.

 

After taking her shower, Shin Hye walked towards the huge viewing window. Her room was facing the beautiful New York Harbor and with the telescope provided by the hotel, she could look out across the waterfront as the Statue of Liberty stands proudly over the harbor.

Sitting by the window, she wrapped her arms around herself, her gaze was darted at the beautiful night view. Just when she was so immersed into the gorgeous scenery, her phone rings. She turned to the table beside her and took her phone. She smiled when she saw the caller ID.

“Yoboseyo.” She answered the call while her eyes looking out the window.

“Sleeping already?” Min Ho asked in a deep voice.

“No.” She replied.

A soft smiled spread across his face as his gaze looking straight at the Lady Liberty that was standing far away from him. “I wonder are we doing the same thing now.”

Shin Hye smiled again. “You should ask… are we looking at the same thing now.”

Looking down at the necklace he was holding in his hand now, he caressed the “H” pendant gently. “I wish you are here.”

Shin Hye chuckled softly. “I am. I’m just next door.”

“I mean… I wish you are right here… in my arms.” He said, looking out the window again.

“We just met each other less than an hour ago. Already miss me?” Shin Hye .

Min Ho inhaled deeply as he tightened his grip on the phone he was holding. “Even if you are standing right in front of me, I still miss you a lot. I just couldn’t convince myself that you are really here with me.” Bringing the necklace to his lips and kissed it softly, he continued again. “This is the first time we chat on the phone like this, right.”

“Eo. In the past, I used to call you but our conversation just last for about 5 minutes.” Shin Hye replied him.

“You must be very scared of me last time.” He said with a weak smile. “I already gave you a very bad impression the first time we met.”

The memory of their first meeting replayed in Shin Hye’s mind as she smiled. “Indeed. I was so scared when I first stepped into your room. It’s VIP room number 7, right.” She laughed softly. “Your expression was so cold and when I looked into your eyes, it was so intense and it was like your eyes could look into my soul. I couldn’t even take my eyes off you. You are so handsome and I thought I’m going to get a heart attack when I fell down on your lap. But I would never forget that gaze in your eyes. It still pained my heart whenever I recall it.”

Min Ho smiled slightly. “That was the first time in that torturous 3 months when I finally feel my heart started to beat again. When I saw you, the whole world was like stop spinning and I couldn’t feel any other thing except you.”

“Because I remind you of So Ra.” Shin Hye completes his sentence.

He inhaled a deep breath. “At that moment, yes. I thought the feeling you gave me was because of So Ra. It was because I have never felt like that before except for her. The way you make my heart trembled for you scare me. Just only that few minutes meeting you, the desire for wanting you, owning you was so strong. I couldn’t get you out of my mind… just like now.”      

“Your sweet talking really improved a lot.” Shin Hye said, trying to brush off the sensitive topic between them. It was a happy day for both of them today. She doesn’t want to think about the past.

Falling silent for a moment, Min Ho looked down in disappointment. “You think all those are just sweet talking?”

Shin Hye sighed softly as she looked out the window again. “To be honest, I’m happy that you are fighting so hard for me. It felt like a dream come true.” She paused and inhaled deeply. “But thinking rationally, do you think we are possible? Do you think fate will really be this kind to me this time? Ever

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter