A Mistake

The Love Replacement
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

14 years ago…

 

“Are you okay?”

Lee Jong Suk quickly wiped his tears and looked up when he heard a very sweet voice in front of him. His grip tightened on the card he was holding when his gaze met a pair of big and beautiful eyes that was looking at him. His heart immediately raced as he straightened himself up on the swing he was sitting.

“I-I’m okay.” He stuttered nervously.

The little girl who was standing in front smiled sweetly at him. She walked towards the swing and sat down beside him. She peeked at the card he was holding before he looked up at him again.

“Your report card?” She asked.

Jong Suk glanced at her and then looked back at his report card before he hid it behind him. He turned away embarrassedly.

“You are crying because of your results?” She asked again.

Jong Suk slowly looked back at her and nodded his head softly.

“Can I take a look?” She asked cautiously.

Jong Suk shook his head vigorously. “My result is very bad. You will laugh at me.”

The little girl smiled at him. “I won’t. I know how it feels when you get very bad results. I’m sure mine are even worse. Let me see.”

He doesn’t understand why but the smile on her face and the soft voice that came out from make him feel so comfortable and relax. Without thinking further, he slowly took his report card out and handed it to the little girl.

She took the card and her eyes slowly widened. She turned back to him and parted her lips in awe. “You call this bad results? You got A for all the subjects. Your average marks are 85. And you are crying because of this result?”

Jong Suk let out a soft sigh before he looked down. “In my father’s eyes, this result is under average. Compared to what my brother got in school, 85 is considered as fail. He is the best student in the school and he only aim for 100, a perfect score.”

The little girl bit her lip and looked at Jong Suk with sympathy gaze. “How can you compare like this? Everybody have different strengths and weaknesses. Just like me. I’m not good in my studies but my music teacher said I’m a genius in piano. At the age of 6, I can already play impossible pieces fluently. I’m sure you have something that you like very much and can do better than your brother.”

Jong Suk titled his head and think for a second. “I’m very good in basketball. My brother always lost to me. He can’t even do a three-point shooting.”

The little girl smiled. “That’s right. He might be good in his studies but not in sports. And your studies are not bad either. You might not be the best but as long as you keep trying, you will be on the top one day. You have to be confident with yourself.”

Jong Suk let out a wide smile as he nodded. “I will try harder. Thank you.”

“You are welcome.” She smiled back at him.

“May I know what’s your name? I’m Lee Jong Suk.” He asked as he lifted his hand to her.

She took his hand and shook it softly. “My name is Kang So Ra.”

“Why are you in my house?” Jong Suk asked.

“So Ra…”

Both of them turned around when they heard someone calling her from behind.

Lee Min Ho smiled as he ran towards the swing. “You are here. I was looking for you around the house. The lunch is ready.” He said to So Ra before looking at his brother. “Jong Suk, what are you doing here? Abeoji was looking for you just now. He said you got your report card today.” He then looked back at So Ra and continued. “Have you meet So Ra? Her mother is my mother’s best friend. They just moved back to Seoul from Busan. She will come here to play with us more often from now onwards.” He said with a wide smile.

So Ra glanced at Min Ho before turning back at Jong Suk. “You are Min Ho oppa’s brother?”

Jong Suk smiled slightly and nodded.

So Ra looked back at Min Ho giggled. “Oppa, let’s go to play basketball later.”

“Meo?” Min Ho asked in confusion.

So Ra laughed softly before looking at Jong Suk. “Remember what I told you earlier.” She smiled at him sweetly. “Jong Suk fighting!”

Min Ho held So Ra’s hand and pulled her with him. “Let’s go. They are waiting inside.”

Jong Suk stood still and just looked at Min Ho and So Ra who was running back into the house. Suddenly, his mother’s voice rings in his ears.

“You have to remember. Everything that your brother like and want, you can’t fight with him. You can only take the remaining things that he doesn’t want. If we want to stay in this house forever, you have to be good and don’t fight with him, arasso?”

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

12 years ago…

 

Jong Suk stood at the side, looking at So Ra helplessly. She has been crying for few hours now but he couldn’t do anything to help her. He wished he could do something to take her pain away. He slowly walked towards the bench she was sitting and handed a tissue to her.

“Don’t cry.” He said softly, her back trying to soothe her.

So Ra turned to him, leaning her head on his shoulder and continued to cry. “What am I going to do now? Appa and eomma left me. I have no one now.” She cried painfully.

“You are not alone. You still have eomeonim, abeoji, my eomma, hyung and me. We are all your family. I… I will stay by your side and take care of you.” Jong Suk said softly.

So Ra shook her head fierce. “No. I’m alone now. I don’t have family anymore.”

“So Ra!”

Jong Suk and So Ra looked up when they heard Min Ho’s voice. So Ra quickly pulled away from Jong Suk and ran towards him.

“Oppa… I’m very scared. The doctor said appa and eomma is dead. Oppa…” She cried as she threw her tiny body into Min Ho’s arms.

Min Ho hugged her tightly and gently her hair. “Don’t be scared. Oppa is here with you. I won’t let anything happen to you. I will take care of you and protect you. You won’t be alone. Oppa promise.”

So Ra sobbed as she nodded her head. “Oppa don’t leave So Ra.”

“Okay. Oppa won’t leave So Ra.” Min Ho promised.

Jong Suk slowly stood up of the bench and looked at the two entwined bodies in front of him. This was the first time he felt the pain in his heart. So Ra’s tears ached his heart and make him breathless. He wanted to protect her and take care of her. But as usual, whenever anything happened, she still chose to run to his brother. He said the exact same thing as what his brother said just now but the effect was totally different.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------

 

8 years ago…

 

“Yah, why are you crying?” Min Ho asked as his fingers busy wiping the tears on her cheeks.

So Ra sobbed and looked up at Min Ho sadly. “Did you watch this drama? The girl is very pity. Her husband doesn’t believe her and accused her to have an affair with his brother. They were fighting and she lost her baby.”

Min Ho let out an exaggerated sigh. “This is just a drama. It’s not a true story. I really don’t understand woman. How can all of you cry because of a fake story? This is how the entertainment industry earns their money.”

So Ra glared at him as she hit his chest softly. “You are heartless. Anybody who watch this kind of drama will cry even it’s not a true story.” She pouted her lips and hit his chest again. “You are a very boring person. You only spend your time in your studies and learn about business. How about me? You promised to take care of me but you always leave me alone in the house.”

“Even if I’m not at home, Jong Suk is here. He is around your age and I’m sure both of you have more things to chat. You are not alone.” Min Ho said, trying to suppress a smile.

So Ra looked at him angrily. “Jong Suk is different from you. He is like a brother to me but you are…” She paused and bit her lip.

Min Ho grinned as he moved closer to her. “What about me? What is so different about me?” He asked softly. Their face was only inches apart.

So Ra’s face immediately turned red. She averted her gaze and inhaled a deep breath. “You know you are different.” She whispered.

The grin on Min Ho’s face grew wider. He gently tilted her chin up, forcing her to look at him. “You are different too. No matter how much I love to study and learn about business, you are always in my heart. Everything I did is for our future.”

So Ra looked at him with questions clouded in her eyes. “Future?”

Min Ho nodded. “You are only 16 years old and I don’t want to scare you. I was planning to wait until you turn 18 before I confess to you.” He took her hand and brought it to his lips, kissing it softly. “I love you.”

So Ra widened her eyes and looked at Min Ho in shock.

Min Ho chuckled. “Why are you so shock? Is this even a surprise to you? I thought you already know about it.” Staring deep into her eyes, he continued. “Since the first day your mother brought you to our house, my heart has already captured by you. When your parents passed away, I tell myself that no matter what happened, I will not let you cry again and will take care of you.” Smiling at her, he caressed her cheeks softly. “Although I didn’t say anything but deep inside my heart, I already treat you as my girlfriend. Give me 5 years. I will work hard and give you a beautiful future. I want you to be the most happiest woman in the world.”

Tears started to well in So Ra’s eyes again. She don’t even need to say anything because she was very sure everyone in this house know how she feels about Min Ho. Being able to be with him was the biggest dream that she wanted it to come true. She smiled as she nodded her head. “I’ll wait for you.”

Min Ho smiled too before he leaned forward and kissed her cheek softly.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

5 years ago…

 

“Do you think Min Ho oppa will like this tie? Will it look too old for him?” So Ra asked as her eyes glued at all the ties in the rack. When she didn’t get a reply from Jong Suk, she turned to him and pouted her lips.

“Yah, Lee Jong Suk. What are you doing? I need your help to choose a birthday present for Min Ho oppa. But you just stand there without giving me any idea.” So Ra said.

Jong Suk looked at her and sighed. “No matter what you buy for him, he will like it. Even if you don’t buy anything, he will be very happy just to see you.”

So Ra smiled sweetly as she looked back at the tie she was holding. “I know. But I really want to buy something for him and make him happier. It’s his birthday tomorrow. He was so busy lately with the new project in the hotel. He doesn’t even have enough time to sleep. I wanted to give him a surprise.”

Jong Suk inhaled sharply. His previous bad mood was now turned even sour. “Just buy this tie and put it in his room. I don’t think he even remember it’s his birthday tomorrow. He only came home passed midnight almost every night. Do you think he will come back early to celebrate his birthday with you? You won’t be able to see him. What surprise you can give to him? Hide in his room and give yourself to him?” His face hardened when he saw her blushing. “Yah, I’m just joking. Don’t even think about it, Kang So Ra.”

So Ra bit her bottom lip and her face blushed deeply. “It’s a very good idea.” She whispered softly.

“What you say again?” Jong Suk asked.

So Ra looked up at him and smiled sheepishly. “Nothing. Let’s go to pay for this tie.” Without waiting for him to reply, she turned away and walked towards the cashier.

“Yah, Kang So Ra…” Jong Suk called as he followed behind her.

----------

Min Ho glanced at his watch and it was already 2.30am. He just finished his work and came home. He rubbed the back of his neck tiredly as he looked at the door of So Ra’s room. He sighed softly. She must have sleep already. She called him when the clock strikes 12 just now and wished him happy birthday. He felt very bad for not be able to spend more time with her. But they have a five years agreement and he will work hard for their future.

He sighed again before he opened the door and stepped inside his room. He closed the door behind him and before he could reach the switches to turn the lights on, someone embraced him from behind.

“Happy birthday…”

His lips curled into a soft smile when he heard the soft voice. He turned around and looked down at So Ra. He could only see her eyes glistening under the soft light seeping through the window. He wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her closer to him. “What are you doing in my room?”

So Ra smiled sweetly as she encircled her arms around his neck. “To give you a surprise.”

Min Ho narrowed his eyes and smiled. “What surprise? You can give it to me when you see me tomorrow morning. It’s so late now and you still have class tomorrow. You should sleep early.”

So Ra bit her lip before she slowly pulled him towards the bed. She motioned Min Ho to sit on the bed before she sits on his lap. Her face reddened when she heard a deep gasp escaped from his mouth. Her heart was pounding so fast and hard against her chest and she was very sure he could hear her heartbeat.   

“W-What are you doing?” Min Ho asked as he shifted uncomfortably on the bed with her sitting on his lap.

“Giving you a surprise and let you claim your birthday present.” She whispered. Taking another deep breath, she leaned forward and kissed his lips softly as her hands started to undo the buttons of his shirt.

Min Ho widened his eyes and quickly grasped her hand, stopping her from doing what she was about to do. Looking into her eyes in the dark, he breathed heavily. “This is not what I want from you.”

Feeling a slight hurt in her heart, she bit her lip again. “You don’t want me?” She asked.

Min Ho sighed harshly. “Of course I want you but not by taking advantage on you during my birthday. And you are… still a student.”

So Ra smiled softly as her cupped his jaw, moved closer to him. “But I’m willing to let you take advantage on me. Didn’t you told me that you will give me a beautiful future? Being with you is already my beautiful future. I’m already 19 years old. I love you and I want to be yours.”

Inhaling a sharp breath, Min Ho wrapped his arms around her and looked at her with a serious expression. “Are you sure? You wouldn’t regret?”

So Ra shook her head. “I’m very sure.” She said firmly.

Min Ho brought his hand up and caressed her cheeks gently. “I’ll be very gentle.” He whispered as he leaned forward and kissed her forehead.

So Ra closed her eyes and nodded her head softly. She could clearly feel her face burning red. She inhaled a breath before their lips touched and both of them fell onto the bed.

 

Leaning his back against the wall outside Min Ho’s room, Jong Suk’s eyes were burning in rage as his hands were clenched into tight fists. When he heard So Ra opened her door and went into Min Ho’s room just now, he know the woman he love will officially belongs to another man tonight. No matter how much pain his heart need to suffer he still needs to force himself to endure it because this is his fate, his life. He was fated to be a son of a mistress and have no right to fight for anything with his brother even for the woman he loves.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------

 

4 years ago…

 

So Ra widened her eyes in shock as she covered her parted lip with both of her hands. She looked down at Min Ho who was kneeling in front of her.

“W-What are you doing?” She asked nervously.

Min Ho smiled as he put his hand into his pocket and took a small box out. He slowly opened it and brought it closer to So Ra. It was a beautiful diamond ring. He took her hand and looked into her eyes.

“Since the first time when I saw you, I know it’s you. The way you smile when you are happy, the way you cry when you are sad, everything was so precious to me. You are not only beautiful outside but you have a very beautiful heart inside too. For me, you are like an angel, a goddess that I want to own forever. I remembered I make a request asking you to give me 5 years so that I could work hard for our future. I’m now the CEO of Lotte Group. Although I still have a lot of imperfection but I swear that I will work harder from now onwards. I will continue to love you and bring you to the beautiful future that I promised to give you.”

He paused and took the ring out from the box before he looked up at So Ra again. “I hope you will agree to spend the rest of your life with me. Will you marry me?”

So Ra breathed deeply as more tears were rushing down her face. She never thought that he would propose to her. She slowly kneeled down in front of him and smiled with tears keep rolling down. She took the ring from him before meeting his gaze. “Being with you has always been my dream. Marrying you is my dream come true. Even if you didn’t propose to me, I was already yours and I’m more than willing to spend my life with you.” Looking down at the ring, she slid the ring onto her finger. She then raised her hand up, showing him the ring that was securely encircled around her ring finger. “Yes. I will marry you.”

Min Ho laughed before he pulled her into his arms and hugged her tightly.

----------

‘The CEO of Lotte Group, Lee Min Ho, the most wanted bachelor in South Korea was spotted having a romantic candle light dinner with the y Kpop idol singer, Kim Seol Hyun in Japan.’

So Ra put the newspaper aside and leaned her back against the couch. Her face was pale and she felt something heavy stuck in her chest causing her difficult to breathe. She almost jumped up when her phone rang beside her. She looked at the caller ID and her eyes immediately stung by the warm tears that were threatening to fall. She took a deep breath, forcing some air into her lungs before she answered the phone.

Min Ho: So Ra? So Ra? Is that you?

So Ra: Wae?

Min Ho: You have to listen to me. Don’t believe what you read in the paper or watch in the news. It’s not like that.

So Ra: Where are you?

Min Ho (silent): …… Japan.

So Ra (inhaled deeply): Is that the reason why you cancel our trip to Maldives? You told me you have something urgent to do in Japan and you can’t postpone it. You told me the client you need to meet is very important. So… Kim Seol Hyun was the important client you need to meet.

Min Ho (sighed): No. I mean… yes. Our Lotte hotel will be opening in Japan 2 months later. We need someone from Korea who is very influential to be our spokesperson. Kim Seol Hyun is very popular in Japan. We have been discussing the contract with her management company since 3 months ago and until now they still don’t want to give us a confirmation. This project is very important for Lotte to go into Japan market. I can’t let anything happen to it. I know Kim Seol Hyun is having a fan meeting in Tokyo this week and that was why I have to fly here personally to talk to her.

So Ra: Talk to her how? Make her happy by offering yourself to…

Min Ho: SO RA!

So Ra (silent): ……

Min Ho (inhaled sharply): I assume you are mature enough to think before you speak. There are lot of things that no matter how angry you are, you cannot simply say it out loud. Don’t say something that will affect our relationship and hurt both of us. We have been together for so long. You should know what kind of person I am.

So Ra (sniffed): ……

Min Ho (sighed): I know you are jealous and angry because of the news and I can’t go to Maldives with you. But please trust me, have confidence in me. We are getting married very soon. I won’t do anything to hurt you. You know I love you.

So Ra (silent): ……

Min Ho: I’ll come back tomorrow night after I signed the contract with them. I swear to God that there is nothing going on between Kim Seol Hyun and me. I know you wanted to go Maldives very badly. I promise you that we will go during our honeymoon, okay?

So Ra (silent): ……

Min Ho (sighed): So Ra?

So Ra: Okay…

Min Ho: Don’t cry, okay? I’ll see you tomorrow.

So Ra: Okay…

----------

After a long hour of revision in his room, Jong Suk came o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter