Chapter 5

Missing Pieces
Please log in to read the full chapter

On Planet Mato, Daehyun was helping his wife Xelena set up the dining table for their last gathering before their son, Kunpimook “Kenny” Jung, and Himchan’s daughter, Victoria Kim, went off to MatExo Academy the next day.

“Can you believe they’re going tomorrow? My little boy all grown up.” Xelena said as Kenny walked into the dining room, a huge grin on his face. His black hair was pushed away from his face, revealing his forehead. His sharp eyes turned into little crescents when he smiled at his mother.

“Mom, calm down. You knew this would happen eventually.” He wore a simple red t-shirt and some dark blue jeans. He leaned against the frame as he watched his parents finish the last bit of set up. “I’m honestly excited.”

“Really?” Daehyun said, a teasing smile on his face. “I thought you were too afraid to leave the planet?”

“Dad, I was at least ten when I said that.” Kenny hung his head in embarrassment.

A knock on the door caused the family to look at it. “I got it”

Kenny walked over and opened it to let their guest in. “Uncle Jae is here!”

Daehyun smiled and walked over to the foyer to greet his friend while Xelena took a deep breath and went into the kitchen to begin putting the food on the table.

“Youngjae! Glad you could make it. How are things at the Academy?” Daehyun led Youngjae into the living room and they sat down on the couch.

“Pretty good. Relations seem to be getting better with the species. More friendships are blooming and that’s always a good thing.” Youngjae said with a laugh. “Though that’s all they’re comfortable with. Friendships are fine but when they want to start dating, Gods forbid.”

Kenny’s ears perked up at that and he turned to Youngjae. “Wait, there are some who want to attempt to date? What kind of foolishness is that?”

Daehyun placed a hand on his son’s arm to reassure him. “Son, there is nothing foolish about someone’s feelings for another, even if they’re from another planet.”

“You won’t catch me with one of those….things.” Kenny muttered under his breath before walking off to the hallway The two older males shook their heads at him as he walked back upstairs to his room.

“He’ll learn.” Daehyun mouthed to Youngjae as there was another knock on the door. Daehyun got up and answered it, leaving Youngjae to hold in his giggles, to see Himchan and his daughter, Victoria standing outside. “Himchan is here!” There was a thump upstairs and Daehyun bust out laughing. Kenny having an obvious crush on the Captain’s daughter made for entertaining evenings as he grew up.

“Hey Dae. Something smells great.” Himchan patted his shoulder while walking past him into the house.

“It better. I made ShiShi Stew.” Xelena said walking into the dining room with a pot in her hands. She placed it on the table in the center before walking over to greet Himchan. “Old friend, how are you?”

“I’m well. I’m exhausted with the students and research. I’m not as young as I used to be.” Himchan smiled and his eyes crinkled at the corners. Age was catching up to him faster than normal ever since the death of his wife ten years ago. The only light in his life now was his daughter Victoria. She stood beside her father with her hair flowing down her back in beautiful dark brown curls. She wore one of the many dresses her father bought her even though she preferred pants.

“That you are not. Come and sit at the table. Dinner is ready.”

Kenny stumbled downstairs in a white t-shirt with a dark blue button down over it and some jeans. Daehyun, Himchan and Youngjae all chuckled at Kenny’s display as he sat next to Victoria who was clueless, as usual, to the boy’s feelings. Dinner went by smoothly as they discussed the Academy and their plans after their time there.

“Daddy, what’s the Academy like?” Victoria asked looking at Himchan expectantly. “I can’t wait to go and meet the Exotytes.”

Kenny looked at her incredulously but said nothing.

“Hmm…” Himchan sat back and rubbed his chin, pretending to be deep in thought. “ Well the Academy is full of youth so I would like to say they are a handful like you are.”

Victoria chuckled as she took another spoonful of stew into .

“But overall, the Academy has built some great relationships between the species.”

“Hope its only friendships,” Kenny mumbled before taking a bite of his bread. Victoria unfortunately heard him and frowned.

“Why only friendships? I think it would be cute to see a romantic relationship between the species. At least then we would see what each of our people are really like.” Victoria retorted and Kenny looked up at her with a confused expression on his face.

“Because that’s sullying our people. Why would we want to distill our bloodlines more for peace?”

“You don’t get to choose who people love, Kenny.” Victoria huffed. “Plus, its not like every continent on our planet got along so well before now either. With ideals like that, you wouldn’t have even been born.”

“Young lady.” Himchan hissed and she sighed and went back to silently eating her food. Kenny did the same and moments later excused himself from the table.

The night ended awkwardly and soon it was time for everyone to leave. Kenny and Victoria were leaving the next day and everyone needed their rest. Youngjae stayed a little longer to help clean up while Daehyun went to help Kenny pack. He walked into his son’s room and found him playing with a fighting game on his holo-tv.

“Son, you alright?” He asked coming to sit next to the boy on his bed.

“I’m fine. Why?” Kenny’s eyes never left the screen as he pressed a series of buttons to let out a huge attack on his opponent.

“You just seemed upset at dinner. That’s all.”

“I’m fine dad.” He paused and put down the controller before turning to Daehyun. “I just...don’t like fighting with her.”

“Well if you like her, fighting will happen. One day you’ll tell her how you feel right?” He patted his son’s shoulder as he nodded. “But you have to see that she wants to try for peace and accepts things more than you. Try to open your eyes. There is nothing wrong with a romance between the species.”

Kenny groaned and rolled onto his stomach, away from Daehyun’s gaze. “Now you sound like her. What’s so special about those things anyway?”

Kenny yelped when he felt Daehyun smack him right in the back. “Don’t be disrespectful. I didn’t raise you that way.”

“Yes, dad.” Kenny grumbled into the bed. Daehyun smiled at his back before leaving the room. He knew his son still had a lot of growing up to do.

~~~

All students, please make your way to the main gymnasium for a meet and greet session. You will also be picking up your room assignments and keys and other impo

Please log in to read the full chapter