Chapter 18

Missing Pieces
Please log in to read the full chapter

Whispers from the crowd grew into a normal speaking level around Taehyung and his friends. Sehun was dragged away by his father almost immediately.

“Come on, Tae. Let’s get you out of here.” Victoria hugged him close to her as they pushed their way out the crowd and up to his dads. Chanyeol and Baekhyun hugged him silently as the tears began to fall down his face.

“I hate to do this so soon but, I need the three of you to come with me.” Himchan spoke silently as he looked at the family. Chanyeol looked up and nodded, directing Taehyung and Baekhyun to follow them. Himchan looked at his daughter and Jimin. “Help break up this crowd and find where Captain Joonmyeon has gone off to. Tell him to meet me in my office as soon as possible.”

They saluted him and Jimin left first. Victoria looked between her father and Taehyung’s family. “Will they be alright, dad?”

Himchan sighed and pulled her into his arms for a hug. “I don’t know sweetheart. But I will do my best to protect them. Now go and do as I told you to. I’ll come find you later.”

She nodded and walked off as they left down the hall. As the family continued to pass others, Baekhyun caught sight of Daehyun standing to the side of the hall. Their eyes locked and he noticed a realization came over Daehyun as he watched them walk away. Himchan led the way to his office, his stern expression keeping others from approaching the group. Once at his office, they had Taehyung sit outside first as the adults went inside.

“Have a seat.” Himchan gestures to the seats in front of the desk as he situates himself behind it. “While we’re waiting for Joonmyeon to arrive, I want to know if you knew about this Mr. Park?”

Chanyeol took a deep breath and nodded. “He had a bad day on his first day of school and when he was crying, I saw something...change. I didn’t understand it at first but once I confronted Baekhyun about it, it all began to make sense.”

Himchan looked between the two of them and sighed. “This is going to cause a lot of harm rather than good. Taehyung is the first of his kind and with the powers that come from EXO and the other features of Mato, it can be unpredictable how he will end up.”

“And that’s why we need to know who the Mato parent is.” Joonmyeon stepped into the room, closing the door behind him. “Sorry I’m late. I had to discipline my son. He’s with his mother now.”

“It’s fine.” Baekhyun spoke quietly. “I shouldn’t have kept it from anyone this entire time.”

“You’re right. You had nineteen years to tell not only your son but also the King, even me, what was going on. It was dangerous to even think to hide this about him. And it’s probably why his magic appeared when it did. My son is damaged because of what you created.” Joonmyeon moved to stand beside Himchan on the other side of the desk as he spoke. Each harsh word that came from him stung but Baekhyun knew he deserved it. Chanyeol placed a hand over his own for comfort.

“What’s done is done. Taehyung is still my son no matter what.” Chanyeol spoke up, earning a satisfied smirk from Himchan.

“That’s fine and all but what of the rest of our people? Will they take this news as well as you two have? Will they be as understanding?” Joonmyeon crossed his arms. “Who is the Mato parent?”

Baekhyun looks between Chanyeol and Himchan with a sigh. “Its…”

Daehyun stood with his family in the hall as Baekhyun and his family rushed to Himchan’s office.

“Did I hear that correctly?” Kenny said beside him. “Someone mated with an Exotyte and Taehyung is the result?”

Daehyun wasn’t paying him any attention as he continued to look at the path Baekhyun took.

“Dad!”

“Huh?” Daehyun finally turned to look at his son and sighed. “I need to speak with Himchan. I’ll be back.”

“Wait, why?” Kenny’s eyebrows scrunched together with suspicion.

Xelena stepped closer to her husband, placing a hand on his shoulder in concern. “Daehyun, do you know them?”

He nodded. “One of them was my roommate during the peace summit. I’m just...worried about him. We did become close.” Kenny cut his eyes at his father but said nothing. “I’ll be back soon.”

Daehyun took off down the halls towards Himchan’s office. He can’t be anyone else’s. Right? He thought as he rushed past the classrooms. When he found Himchan’s office, he paused when he saw Taehyung sitting outside of it with two other Matoki, one being Victoria. He took in the boy’s face and gasped. He looked so much like him, from his nose to the shape of his mouth. His eyes were still the beautiful emerald green that proved his Mato heritage that he could have only passed through to Baekhyun. If he didn’t know any better, he would have thought it was Baekhyun himself.

“I…” He started but then shook his head and ran into the office without warning. All eyes turned to him as he stood in the open doorway.

“Do you mind? We’re having a private discussion.” Joonmyeon started, his eyes beginning to twitch.

“It’s fine. He’s the Mato parent of T

Please log in to read the full chapter