02.

Tangled Fates

02.

 

Her breath hitched in as she eyed the male approaching and suddenly she felt self conscious, did her make-up smudge? Did she have anything on her lips—or even worse did she have something stuck between her teeth?

 

A laugh rang in her ears and she shot Sarang a glare who shrugged in return—‘’You look fine’’ she mouthed and Jenny nodded, slightly awaiting the male his arrival and when he did her heart skipped several beats. She heard him apologizing and she slowly turned around again, smiling at the male.

 

‘’No, it’s alright things like that happen’’ she waved him off and a grin took over his lips, ‘’It’s not alright I mean I let someone as beautiful as you wait for me’’ he frowned as he took a seat right next to her while Jenny blushed a wild red, she didn’t expect a comment like that.

 

She noticed EunBi, Jennifer and two others glare at her while she shrugged it off—hey who said older woman still didn’t have it?

 

‘’Nice to meet you, I’m Kim Jaejoong’’ he smiled at her genuinely while she nodded, repeating his name several times in her head before she heard Sarang coughing. Oh right.

 

‘’Jenny Park’’ she returned the smile and he nodded, ‘’What about Korean name?’’ ‘

 

‘’Park Bom’’ she took a sip of her wine while he nodded, ‘’So the beautiful lady also has a beautiful name’’ he smiled at her again and she couldn’t help but stare. He had the most gorgeous smile ever and his facial features we’re no joke either. His dark hair was ruffled up in different ways and he had a few spikes up along the way. He wore a dashing suit that fitted him at the right places and his shirt was slightly ed—enough so she could see his y milky white skin and collarbones.

 

‘’Oh gosh, maybe we should switch seats so we could know each other better!’’ Jennifer chirped and Jenny eyed her—of course, she always did that whenever she was interested in someone that was seated far from her.

 

‘’Definitely, I call dibs next to EunBi!’’ a male  grinned and just like that they switched around and Jenny mentally groaned, ‘’Great’’ she muttered as she took a bite of her steak after sitting herself down next to Sarang who let out a laugh, ‘’There there’’ she mumbled and Jenny shrugged her off, unaware of the looks Jaejoong gave her.

 

--

 

‘’How about karaoke?’’ Suho let out a laugh while the rest of the group cheered as they exited the restaurant. ‘’Which one should we go to? They have pretty nice places here in Hongdae’’ EunBi looked around sheepishly as she linked her arm with Suho who grinned like there was no tomorrow.

 

‘’Well, I’ll be going from here then, you lot have fun now’’ Jenny smiled at the group of youngsters as she turned around ready to leave but when she felt a grip on her arm she paused, slightly turning around.

 

‘’Oh.. umm… I…’’ Jaejoong scratched the back of his head as he nervously looked away making Jenny laugh mentally, he was being too cute. Her thoughts we’re interrupted once she heard his voice again and she smiled.

 

‘’Should I drop you off Jenny-sshi?’’ He gave her one of her most charming smiles and she let out a small chuckle, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear as she looked at him, ready to answer but when she heard a female whine she mentally groaned, cursing Jennifer inside her head as she rambled on.

 

‘’Jaejoong you should come with me, let’s have some fun alright!’’ she chirped loudly with Jaejoong slightly frowning as Jennifer tried to drag him while Jenny watched the two. ‘’It’s alright, you take Jennifer safely home alright?’’ she gave him one last smile before she turned around, sighing.

 

‘’What made you sigh so loudly?’’ Sarang bumped her shoulder with Jenny’s who shrugged, ‘’Youngsters have so many energy, don’t you agree?’’                        ‘’Well depends, you act like a grandmother for godsake’’ Sarang gushed and Jenny gasped, ‘’What!?’’                ‘’My point is, you could’ve kept him, all these youngsters eye their prey and are determined to get it, you eye your prey but let it go once another female steps in’’                       ‘’I can’t help it’’ Jenny mumbled and Sarang smiled.

 

‘’Well, you did catch his eye though, he didn’t let you off his radar once’’ Sarang while she blushed a furiously deep shade of red, ‘’No way he didn’t’’ she muttered while the latter let out a laugh, ‘’Deny all you want, I witnessed it’’ she bumped her shoulder once again before waving her hand—‘’I’m off this way, you’ll be alright on your own?’’                        ‘’Definitely’’ Jenny smiled as she waved by to Sarang who rushed crossing the street and Jenny let out a sigh as she looked up at the sky.

 

‘’Kim Jaejoong huh?’’ she muttered, crossing him off the list she made inside her mind before she hailed a cab.

 

--

 

‘’Yes mother, can you stop bugging me so early in the morning?’’ Jenny groaned as she rolled towards the other side, eyeing her alarm clock on her nightstand. She let out a sigh as she noticed it was only 6.30 AM,

 

‘’I told you I’ll stop bugging once you get married’’ Mrs.Park cried and Jenny mentally cursed. She had put her phone on speaker-mode as she rumbled through her closet, picking suiting outfit for work today.

 

‘’I’ll get married when I meet someone decent, what’s so wrong about that?’’ She frowned as she looked in the mirror, the outfit made her look too pale so she hurriedly put it away, fishing out her favourite black pair of skinny jeans and her black lacy top with blue stripes.

 

‘’It’s so wrong because something like that isn’t suitable for your age! Also your job, how long do you want to work so high class?’’ Mrs.Park let out a frustrating groan while the latter sighed, ‘’I get it, but my job is also a good paid job. I’m saving for my future Ma, nothing wrong with that right?’’                   ‘’I told you already to just marry Lee Dongwook! He’s almost turning forty but he’ll still keep you happy, promise’’ she rattled on and Jenny mentally cursed.

 

The marriage talks was something she got daily and also the ‘’Lee Dongwook’’ talk. Dongwook was that childhood friend everyone had, he used to be my neighbour till he moved to his own condo but he regularly visits his parents who still live in that very same house, right next to ours. It also doesn’t change the fact how our parents had become the best of best buds and thus the marriage talks we’re often brought up at family gatherings.

 

‘’Ma, I got it I got it, I need to get ready now, call you sometime later alright?’’ Jenny hurriedly bid her goodbye as she stared at herself in the mirror. What was wrong about Lee Dongwook?

 

Nothing.

 

He was perfect—the reason why it was wrong.

 

--

 

‘’Good morning’’ Sarang grinned at Jenny who eyed her suspiciously, ‘’What got you all smiley so early in the morning?’’ Jenny grabbed her cup before pouring in some hot coffee while Sarang shrugged, ‘’Nothing really’’ she smiled again and Jenny eyed her weirdly, ‘’Alright, I’ll just go with you either didn’t have your cup of coffee or you chugged down the wrong cup’’ she let out a laugh while Sarang rolled her eyes, ‘’Whatever, I was grinning about your outfit’’                                ‘’Too much?’’ She looked at her unsure while Sarang quickly shrugged it off, ‘’Ofcourse not, it’s just—you look hot. Jeans always make your long legs pop out, damn I’m jealous’’ they both laughed while Jenny shrugged it off,

 

‘’Well these killer blue heels do actually do their magic’’                   ‘’Oh stop messing, everyone knows even barefoot your leg game is just too strong-…’’

 

‘’Oh my god, Jenny you look hot’’ EunBi and Jennifer grinned while the latter shrugged, ‘’But that aside, have you heard about the two new employees joining us?’’ EunBi squealed in delight while both Jenny and Sarang flinched, rubbing their ears from the impact.

 

‘’I think you forgot we’re right next to you Eun’’ Sarang frowned while the latter looked sheepishly at the both.

 

‘’I heard one of them is that hottie from the department above us’’ Jennifer dreamily sighed while Jenny shook her head, ‘’Focus, no office romance is allowed’’ She flicked her forehead with the latter frowning as she rubbed her forehead, ‘’Rules are meant to be broken, besides I heard our head department is dating an employee himself’’ she muttered and Sarang looked around warily, coughing a bit with Jenny sighing.

 

‘’Isn’t he married? You do know spreading false information about our head could get you fired’’ she let out another sigh while Jennifer zipped her lips—‘’You heard nothing alright’’ she hurriedly ushered out the kitchen while Jenny let out a small laugh, ‘’We should get going’’ she mumbled with the rest nodding as they hurriedly made their way towards the office.

 

‘’Thankyou director for accepting me, I’ll work hard’’ The male bowed while the other male sheepishly looked around before introducing himself.

 

‘’See see, look that’s the Lee Donghae every girl is after’’ EunBi sheepishly sighed while Jenny shook her head, ‘’It’s so surreal how he will work in our office’’ Jennifer sighed dreamily while Jenny walked over to her desk, a sigh escaping her lips.

 

‘’Isn’t the new kid cute too?’’ Both Jennifer and EunBi gushed with each other while Sarang and Jenny shrugged, getting back to their work while the younger male turned towards the employees.

 

‘’Good morning, my name is Xi Luhan and I’m newly signed to this department. This is my first office job so I hope you all will kindly guide me through’’ Luhan smiled as he bowed while the employees nodded at the male.

 

‘’Looks like they’re getting younger and better looking I guess’’ Jenny stared at Luhan. He was utterly handsome and looked like a Chinese prince, for a second she gaped at him but hurriedly snapped her back to her senses. Sure he was prettier then a girl and maybe had skin every girl would die for, but he was now a co-worker. A younger co-worker that is.

 

She fumbled with the keyboard while Sarang nodded with a smile. ‘’All right’’ she mumbled, finishing her report until a certain cough caught her attention.

 

‘’Excuse me?’’ The male muttered and Jenny looked up, only to be greeted by the new employee. She eyed him for a split second, taking in his features from up close again. ‘’Hmm?’’ she questioningly looked at him while he gave her one of his trademark smiles, ‘’The director told me to use this desk’’               ‘’Alright then’’ Jenny nodded at him as she turned back to her work until she saw him stand right next to her desk.

 

‘’It’s nice to meet you, I’m Lu-…’’               ‘’You already introduced yourself.’’              ‘’Right’’ Luhan nodded as he turned around, heading back to his seat across Jenny while the few around them giggled faintly. Shrugging them off she finished off the report and got it ready to print out as she got a notepad to write something on it until she noticed something from the  corner of her eye.

 

‘’No no, we’re not students anymore, any mistake you make while writing shouldn’t be crossed off like that. Please remember that when making a mistake always use white-out’’ she handed Luhan her white-out while he sheepishly nodded at her, ‘’Thankyou’’ he mumbled as he got ready to use it but paused as he looked at Jenny.

 

‘’Umm, what should I call you?’’                ‘’Just finish filling that out will you?’’ she smiled at him while he awkwardly nodded, erasing his mistake until he felt a grip on his shoulders. ‘’Just leave it to me’’ Donghae grinned as he turned towards Jenny with a grin.

 

‘’I’ve been with the company for nine years, what about you?’’               ‘’I ha-…’’      ‘’Normally if you’ve been working for that long, even without thinking about promotions you would’ve naturally risen up the ranks right? Why are you still with this office?’’ Donghae eyed her intently while she looked at him ready to share a piece of her mind until her cut her off again.

 

‘’Ah, if it’s like this, you earn quite a bit don’t you? There’s no reason for your salary to go up or down’’

 

‘’I see’’ Luhan nodded while Jenny let out a sigh as she rubbed her temples. ‘’All your graduation class must be married by now right-…?

 

‘’Are you sir, picking a fight?’’ Jenny eyed him intently while he shrugged it off, ‘’Pardon me, my name is Lee Donghae. When meeting first, it seems to be proper to exchange introductions right?’’

 

‘’Right, I’m Jenny’’ she gritted her teeth as she smiled at the two—Donghae grinning satisfied as if he won a fight while Luhan slightly got up from his seat, bending over the desk as his eyes shot to Jenny’s chest who awkwardly put her hands near it, ‘’The hell are you doing!?’’ she mumbled while he smiled at her. ‘’Please kindly guide me, Jenny Park sshi’’ he politely smiled at her while she let out a sigh.

 

‘’Likewise’’ she mumbled, ignoring his extended hand while the female employees around her cackled as she got up, walking near both Donghae and Luhan, clearing .

 

‘’I’ve been in the business industry for eleven years, thank you so much for asking’’ She nonchalantly looked at them while the rest of the employees eyed the three, the female ones grinning widely.

 

‘’I’m actually quite above there out in the ranks but an employee wouldn’t feel the need to brag about it right? As for why I am in an office like this is to keep employees like you in place, and also I earn a lot and it’s called being a contracted employee, but of course you wouldn’t know since you need to show a bit more of yourself to get one right?’’ She gave him one of his friendliest smiles while he gaped at her, completely taken a back along with Luhan.

 

‘’As for marriage, I could say the same for you right? I’m sure your graduation class must have twins by now, but seeing your file… where are yours?’’

 

Jenny grinned as she knew she hit homerun as she blew on the imaginary dust on her nails, ‘’Oh but where are my manners. It’s Jenny Park, nice to meet you’’ she batted her lashes innocently before walking out of the room leaving them both flabbergasted while the rest of the room burst out into chuckles.

 

‘’Fiesty’’ Luhan whispered while Donghae let out a groan.