9

Patience
Please log in to read the full chapter

----------------------

The flight from Seoul to Wuhan was brief but the few idle hours provided Zhou Mi with enough time to sleep. Although things were finally beginning to head in the right direction both for himself and for Siwon, he was still physically and emotionally exhausted. They'd gone to their first scan together only a few days ago and while it had been more of an emotional experience for Siwon than it had been for Zhou Mi, Zhou Mi was beginning to warm up to the idea of being a mother sooner than he had expected. He was even starting to get a little excited about it, too. Since realizing that he really could tell Siwon everything, Zhou Mi really had been able to turn to his husband for support. He had always wondered why couples fawned over ultrasound images so much and even seeing his own baby didn't really change his lack of enthusiasm.

"Do you think we're just shaping out baby's identity before they're even born?" Zhou Mi started, as Siwon took his hand while they walked across the parking lot to the car after the appointment.

"What do you mean?" Siwon asked with interest, gently rubbing the back of Zhou Mi's hand.

Zhou Mi bit his lower lip. He knew that he could share even his most cynical thoughts with Siwon now; he just didn't know how to phrase his thoughts.

"I guess... It just seems a little selfish, don't you think?" Zhou Mi fiddled with his words. "Or maybe I'm just the one whose selfish..." He trailed off, losing confidence.

There was still a part of him, no matter how comfortable he was around Siwon, that wondered about the validity of his reflections. As a mother to be, he felt ashamed of how negatively he regarded his child, but he couldn't help it.

"No you're not," Siwon smiled, kissing Zhou Mi's hand as they got in the car. "You can tell me what you're thinking."

Zhou Mi couldn't help but to return Siwon's smile, although he sighed a little as he struggled to phrase his thoughts.

"I mean... why do so many people choose to have children...? It's to complete their family, or at least, their dream to have a family, right? And when the child is born, they're cared for, but they're expected to become what the family wants them to be... Finding out what your baby looks like, whether they're a boy or a girl... It's all part of social expectation, isn't it? And it's all selfish... parents decide on the child's identity before they even have a chance to form their own... But I don't know... You probably think I'm crazy," he laughed a little dryly.

"I don't," Siwon squeezed Zhou Mi's hand reasuringly. "I like talking to you about thi

Please log in to read the full chapter