SPRING SEASON (2nd story) -part one-

A Boy Meets... LOVE

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Love is when you look into someone’s eyes and see their hearts.” –Jill Petty

 

 

 

 

 

Twenty-seven years of waiting and being loveless, now I knew I found the right one for me. And every waiting was fine when she came along. My life wasn’t worthless anymore, but worth-living because I just didn’t have my family, but I have someone I could call my OWN.

 

I thought I would always lived in dream land—dreaming of a perfect love, perfect partner, and perfect relationship, just what I read and saw in movies and novels. Slowly I could feel the sweetness of love.

 

Bye winter, hello spring

Two hearts that’s ‘bout to bloom

Blooming like flowers

 

The first month of wooing her was tough for me. It’s because I didn’t experience to woo a girl before. We already ate outside—lunch dates and dinner dates. And doing it everyday was getting boring. When the sunset came, we walked side by side near the Han River. During weekends we spent our time sitting under the cherry blossom tree where we first saw each other just killing our time chatting and laughing. We did those things alternately for a month.

 

I was running out of idea when the second month of spring came. I was about to ask Jessica for a dinner date again when she called me up an hour before the scheduled time. It was 30 before 7 in the evening.

 

“Donghae, I can’t come.” She said on the other line. Her voice was soft and gloomy.

 

“Why?” I said, feeling bad.

 

“I’m not feeling well. My head is aching, my neck is swelling and I have fever early today.” She said.

 

I felt worried and not feeling bad anymore. I wondered she became sickly these past few days. I remembered last month, we were on the swing, and she told me her joints were in pain and not feeling well, too.

 

“Okay. Let’s just do it when you’re already feeling much better. Just take a bunch of rest tonight.” I said sweetly.

 

“Thanks. I’ll make it up to you when I get better. Bye, Donghae” She said, and then already hung up.

 

I wanted her to see a doctor, but whenever I told her about it, we started to argue. So, I decided to never bring up that conversation again.

 

I took off the suit I was wearing and changed it into a plain tee and blue pair of pajamas. I didn’t know what to do that evening. I was sitting at the end of my bed when my eyes caught my DVD cabinet, marched to where it is and started searching for an interesting movie to watch.

 

I slid my forefinger horizontally as I took a quick looked of the each titles. A familiar cover of a movie caught my eyes. A Walk to Remember. It was my favorite movie of all time. I missed watching it. It’s been years since the last time I played it over. Since I have nothing to do, I planned watching it to kill my boring hours alone in my room. And though I watched it for the nth time, it still touched my heart. It has still the impact of making me crying. The message of the movie was really heart-melting. I wonder why it has such heart-wrecking moments. While watching it, I was praying it would never happen to me—to us.

 

When the movie ended, I laid down my bed, looked at the ceiling and my mind was occupied by the thoughts of her. I still remembered the first day I saw her. She was wearing a very simple dress, sitting very calm and looking very innocently. It has been five months and counting still she was wearing those kinds of dresses. Unlike other girls who loves mixing and matching different kinds of dresses, Jessica chose to wear dresses that look very feminine. She seldom wore make-ups. She was contented with a powder and a lip shiner. I never saw her wearing heels, maybe flats made her comfortable. She’s really simple yet still beautiful to look at. Well, as the saying goes, Simple is beautiful and she proved it’s true.

 

Thinking of a lot of stuffs I noticed about her for a good hour, and then suddenly I felt asleep without my knowing.

 

The next morning, I woke up trying to remembering what exactly happened to me last night. I paused for awhile, and then Jessica occupied my mind again. I ran quickly to the bathroom to take shower though I wasn’t yet on myself. It seemed like I was still dreaming. Almost an hour has passed and it was 15 before 7. I was marching the stairs down to the door when Mom called me.

 

I pretended I never heard her and walked my left paces hastily. But Mom suddenly blocked me when I was about to open the door. She stood right in front of me smiling sarcastically. She stood in front of me as fast as a lightning volt. Geez.

 

“Where are you going at this very early in the morning, Son?” Mom queried while her both arms were laying horizontally on the door.

 

“I’m going to visit Jessica, Mom.” I answered very straight while my eyes still widened.

 

“At this very early in the morning? You can visit her later. Let’s have breakfast first together with your Dad.” Mom said, trying to please me.

 

“Mom, Jessica is sick and I’m worrying a lot about her.” I said as I looked down dolefully.

 

“All right, I understand. Don’t forget to bring her a basket of fruits.” Mom reminded me, and then slightly tapped my shoulder.

 

I smiled to Mom and kissed her on her cheeks. Then she opened the door for me. I walked to where my car parked and opened the car door on the driver’s seat. I was about to step in when Mom yelled.

 

“Drive safely, Son.” She said, waving at me.

 

“I will Mom.”

 

While I was on the road, I my IPod and played one of my favorite songs from the movie I watched last night. It was sung by Mandy Moore.

 

There’s a song that’s inside of my soul

It’s the one that I’ve tried to write over and over again

I’m awake in the infinite cold

But you sing to me over and over again

 

So, I lay my head back down

And I lift my hands and pray

To be only yours, I pray, to be only yours

I know now you’re my only hope

 

Sing to me the song of the stars

Of your galaxy dancing and laughing and laughing again

When it feels like my dreams are so far

Sing to me of the plans that you have for me over again

 

So, I lay my head back down

And I lift my hands and pray

To be only yours, I pray, to be only yours

I know now you’re my only hope

 

I give you my destiny

I’m giving you all of me

I want your symphony, singing in all that I am

At the top of my lungs, I’m giving it back

 

I was entertained by the song that I played repeatedly. I didn’t notice I was getting closer to Jessica’s house. A few minutes more and I reached the front yard of their house. Maybe the old woman outside was her Mom. She was humming while busily watering the plants. I stopped and turned off the car’s engine then stepped out of the car.

 

I didn’t know how to start the conversation, so I greeted her first. “Good morning, Madam. Is Jessica here?” I said politely while bowing my head.

 

“Good morning too.” She said as she turned to face me and bowed her head. “Yes, she’s here. May I know you are?” she said, eyeing me.

 

“I’m Donghae. I’m her f—friend.” I said, stuttering. I couldn’t decide if I should tell her I was a suitor, so I just said I was a friend.

 

“I’m her Mom. Just call me Aunt. Madam is a way too formal.” Mrs. Jung said, grinning from ear to ear.

 

“Okay. Can I visit her today?”

 

“Of course you can. She’ll be happy to know a friend came to visit her. Come, let’s go inside.” Mrs. Jung said, turning off the faucet.

 

“Wait, Aunt, I will just get something in my car.” I said, getting a basket of fruits I bought. Then I walked to where she was with a basket on the hand.

 

When we entered the house, a deafening silence welcomed me. It was very quiet and peaceful. There was something in their house that made me feel comfortable. The living room was very refreshing as you can saw a lot of color white—from the couches  and throw pillows, until to the carpet and picture frames, even the vase and the flowers are color white. My eyes were enjoying the ambiance when Mrs. Jung came.

 

“Have a tea, first while I call for Jessica. She was sick for the past few days, so I’ll check her first if she can manage to come down.” Mrs. Jung said, handing me a cup of hot tea.

 

I was alone for I didn’t know how long. Thank God I saw some magazines and photo albums under the centre table. I scanned it while waiting for Mrs. Jung’s return. I grabbed a pink photo album revealing some bay pictures of Jessica. She was too cute during her younger years. One thing I noticed was the color of her skin. It was really pale since then. I wondered if she has illness or it’s just the normal color of her skin.

 

“Donghae…” a sweet yet husky voice greeted me.

 

I looked up and saw Jessica’s pale face. She has noticeable dark eye bags below her beautiful eyes. I thought if she was still feeling unwell.

 

“Jessica…how are you feeling today?” I queried as I helped her sat down beside me.

 

“I’m feeling better compared yesterday.” She said, flashing a small smile on her lips. “What are you doing here?” she added.

 

“I came to visit you.” I said as I closed the photo album I was looking.

 

“And he came with a basket of fruits for you.” Her Mom suddenly bugged in.

 

“Thanks. By the way, Mom, he’s Donghae. The man I once mentioned to you, the one wooing me for a month.” She said shyly. A sudden reddening of her face appeared.

 

“Oh, really she was the one you’re talking to? Sorry I didn’t know he even introduced himself as a friend awhile ago.” Her Mom said, eyeing me mischievously.

 

“Sorry about that. I thought you never knew about me.” I said, ruffling my hair at the back of my head while forcing to smile.

 

“Don’t be sorry about that. I should be the one saying those words to you because you always came here to fetch my daughter and then delivered her safely after your every date, but I didn’t have the time to meet you and say thank you because I was way too busy that time. I’m sorry.” Her Mom explained, looking at me apologetically.

 

“Its fine, Aunt. At least today, we managed to know each other.”I said.

 

“Yeah. I think I should finish what I’m doing outside. Princess, entertain your prince well.” He Mom said, winking an eye and then went outside. Jessica just gave her Mom a nod. When Mrs. Jung disappeared, I caught Jessica staring at me.

 

“Why are you looking at me like that?” I queried in surprised.

 

“I just missed looking at your face. Sorry for delaying our dinner date, Donghae.” She said with an apologetic look.

 

“No, that’s fine. We can do it anytime of the day. Besides, your health is more important.” I said, not to make her feel sorry for what had happened.

 

“When I get better, I’ll make it up to you.” She said as she smiled lovingly.

 

“Uhm, when you get better let’s spend our time wisely, doing things we never did before. Maybe watching movies, reading books, or stay at home baking delicious meal will be fine.”

 

“That’s a good idea. And when summer came, let’s hit the beach or let’s stay up at night under a starry sky while having bonfire.” She added still smiling.

 

Looking at her that time, I forgot she was sick. Her voice was lively, her face suddenly brighten up. It was like a long ago since I last saw that kind of face from her.

 

“Jessica, for your fast recovery you should eat some apples that I brought you.”

 

“Why?” she asked with wrinkled forehead.

 

“It’s because an apple a day keeps the doctor away.” I said, trying to maintain the happy atmosphere between us. And I wasn’t a failure because I heard her laugh.

 

“You’re right. I hate doctors, so, I should eat plenty of apples everyday.” she said, laughing hard.

 

Laughter enveloped the whole room. We’re both in good spirit and having a good time. I didn’t expect it would be one of the happiest days of my life. The first day she came was the first happiest day of my life and I kept treasuring my happiest moments with her and I was hoping she was doing the same.

 

Cherry blossoms scattered round

Like love surrounding us

Fragrantly sweet

 

After several days, Jessica was feeling fine again. Time swiftly passed us by again. It was third week of the second month of spring when we decided to watch a movie on my parents’ house where I stayed since I hate being alone at my own house. I fetched her on their house at exactly three in the afternoon. We’re having a great time while we’re on the road—but a sudden silence between us when my favorite song started to play.

 

There’s a song that’s inside of my soul

It’s the one that I’ve tried to write over and over again

I’m awake in the infinite cold

But you sing to me over and over again

 

So, I lay my head back down

And I lift my hands and pray

To be only yours, I pray, to be only yours

I know now you’re my only hope

 

Sing to me the song of the stars

Of your galaxy dancing and laughing and laughing again

When it feels like my dreams are so far

Sing to me of the plans that you have for me over again

 

So, I lay my head back down

And I lift my hands and pray

To be only yours, I pray, to be only yours

I know now you’re my only hope

 

I give you my destiny

I’m giving you all of me

I want your symphony, singing in all that I am

At the top of my lungs, I’m giving it back

 

“What’s with a sudden silence from you?” I said, stealing glances of her and at the road at the same time.

 

“Nothing. It’s just that the song has a hard impact on me, on my heart.” She said, her face started to become a garden without sun—very gloomy.

 

“I see. It’s one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite movie. I felt that way too when I first heard the song. Well, it was a bit sad because the movie was sad, too.” I said, trying to inform her about the song.

 

“Really? We’re going to watch movie today, right? Will it be okay if we watch that movie you’re talking to? What’s the title of it again?” she asked while leaning his back at the backrest and took a breath.

 

“It’s all right with me. A Walk to Remember is the title of the movie. I should give you a box of tissue later because it will surely make you cry.” I said, taking a glance at her again.

 

“You should do that.” she replied as she glanced at me, and then looked away outside the window. She didn’t talk after it.

 

When we reached home, my parents’ really welcomed her. Dad and Mom were smiling all the way while I introduced Jessica to them. Mom asked several questions to Jessica and after it they got along well, like mother and daughter’s bonding. Dad just observed them. He laughed when they laugh. I was enjoying looking at Dad’s face. Maybe she was still shy towards Jessica. When Mom left us to cook dinner, Dad started a conversation with her. I thought Dad would remain cold to her. Thanks God they got along well, too.

 

It was seven when Mom called us for dinner. The kitchen was filled with smells of different delicious meal she cooked. And we all felt really hungry.

 

“Jessica, have a seat beside me.” Mom said. Looking at Mom’s gestures, she was getting attached to her. Jessica obediently took the seat beside Mom; I face them as I sat beside Dad.

 

“Eat a lot and don’t be shy, Jessica.” Dad said as she placed pieces of veggies to Jessica’s plate.

 

“I will, Uncle.” Jessica said happily. She ate well.

 

I wasn’t able to talk to him because Mom and Dad were having a good time interviewing her. At the same time, Jessica answered their questions politely. Hearing their conversations, I noticed Jessica was a witty woman. She has a lot of things Mom and Dad didn’t know. I didn’t bother intruding their getting-to-know moment. When finally finished eating, we went to the living room and continue chatting with each other. And this time, I was included in their world.

 

“Son, what makes you fall for Jessica?” Mom asked, looking at me teasingly.

 

“I don’t know, Mom.” I said shyly, fiddling my fingers.

 

“That’s love, Son. When you love someone, you don’t need any reasons why you love that person, because the reason of falling in love is really unknown.” Dad said, patting me on the shoulder.

 

I felt my cheeks turned warm. I didn’t know he knew a lot about love. Whenever I asked questions to him or to Mom, they have answers that give me. And I felt satisfied and enlightened at their every answer. I wondered where they got such answers to my questions, maybe through their experience. I remembered a particular teacher from college, he once said that, Experience is the best teacher”, and tonight, I proved that the saying was true.

 

“Why you allowed my son to woo you, Jessica?” Dad asked, looking straight to Jessica’s eyes.

 

“Honestly, I thought he would help me to forget my past relationship with a man who doesn’t deserve everything about me.” Jessica answered while pivoting her eyes to Dad and then to Mom. Her face was serious.

 

“You thought right, Jessica. For you to forget the past love, you have to open your heart to another love. You don’t have to dwell on it because the long you dwells on it, the more it becomes painful. And wasting your tears to someone who don’t deserve it is a foolish act to do. It’s good to cry for at least once. Crying is a remedy to a pained heart.” Mom said as she held Jessica’s clasped hands resting on her lap.

 

“I didn’t know you have such philosophies in life about love, Aunt.” Jessica uttered.

 

“Your uncle and I, we’re both learned something about life, about love as we started spending time together. Life taught us lessons that we want to impart to you. And I’m looking forward to you and Donghae as a couple.” Mom said cheerfully, and then stared at Dad. Dad just nodded.

 

“Mom, don’t force Jessica. Let’s give her time to think about it clearly. When it comes to love, we should think a thousand times if a person is worthy our heart, if he or she is worthy of stealing it inside our chest.” I uttered out of the blue, looking at them with a wrinkled forehead.

 

“All right, Son. It’s just that we like Jessica for you.” Mom said, raising her eyebrows up and down.

 

“Honey, stop that. Don’t pressure, Jessica. Come on, let’s leave them alone.” Dad said, trying to convince Mom to give us time alone.

 

“Okay. Excuse us, we’ll go then. Good night in advance, Jessica. Drive her home safely, Son.” Mom reminded me and then stood up from her seat.

 

“After the movie, you should deliver Jessica home, so, that her Mom will not worry about her, okay, Son?” Dad said, placed her arm on Mom’s shoulder, and then left the living room.

 

When my parents’ was few steps away from us, I opened the TV and DVD. A few minutes more, we’re already watching the movie. Jessica was unmoving from her seat; her eyes were totally glued on the movie we’re watching. She didn’t even bother talking to me. I pretended watching the movie, but she didn’t notice that I was actually looking at her—observing her breathing, her eyes.

 

I was enjoying stealing glances at her when a tear suddenly fell down her cheek. I ran hastily to get a box of tissue and gave it to her. She dried up her cheeks, but the tears kept on rolling down. She even blew her nose and it started turning red like tomatoes. I didn’t know she was such a cry-baby.

 

“You’re too focused on it that’s why it makes you cry.” I uttered as I moved closer to her.

 

“I didn’t know it’s a heart-wrenching story. Jaime has a leukaemia and she died. Isn’t it a sad ending?” she said, still wiping her unstoppable tears.

 

“That’s why I told you that I have a box of tissue for you. That movie is really tearing your heart out. I wonder why God let it happened to those couple.” I said, handling her pieces of tissues to blow her nose up.

 

“Well, we will just know the answer if it will happen to us.”

 

On our way home, Jessica was tight-lipped until we reached their house. Outside their house, her mother was sitting on wooden swings beside the front of their house.

 

“Jessica…” her mom called out her name as Jessica stepped out of my car.

 

“Why are you still awake, Mom?” Jessica said, embracing her Mom tightly while kissing her cheek.

 

“I’m waiting for you.”

 

“Stop worrying, Mom. I’m fine because Donghae is with me.” Jessica said, standing beside her Mom.

 

“Good evening, Aunt.” I greeted her as I bowed my head.

 

“Good evening, too. Thanks for delivering my daughter here safely.” Mrs. Jung said, snaking her arm around her daughter’s waist.

 

I didn’t know what to say, so I just nodded shyly to Mrs. Jung.

 

“Thanks for this wonderful night, Donghae. You can go home now. It’s already past 10 in the evening.” Jessica said, walking three steps to face me.

 

“You’re always welcome. I’ll go then. Good night.”

 

“Drive safely. Good night, too, Donghae.”

 

Our evening ended with exchanging of sweet goodnight. I never felt this happiness before. It was like my heart was jumping up and down inside my chest. I loved the feeling I was feeling. I couldn’t compare it to any sweets. We spent the last week of the second month of spring on boating. I never thought Jessica never experienced riding on a boat. She would love to ride on it if she’s with someone she loved.

 

“If Jessica come with me, is she already falling in love with me?”

 

 

 

 

 

>..comments are very much welcome and appreciated..<

 

 

 

 

 

================================================================================================

 

A/N: Sorry if I updated this story just now. I'm still working on others and my mind is  not functioning well, so my ongoing stories is still not updated.. for this one, i got my inspiration from up above..so, here it is~Spring story and this is not yet done, there's a part two..it'll be posted one of these days..

Enjoy reading! ^__^