WINTER SEASON (1st story)

A Boy Meets... LOVE

A/N: PinkyElfyAngel is back for another heart-warming story of Haesica.

 

Enjoy the story occured during Winter.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I am not one of those who do not believe in love at first sight, but I believe in taking a second look.” –H. Vincent

 

 

 

 

For twenty-seven years of existence here on earth, I almost experienced all the feelings a man could feel except for one, the feeling of being in love. I never felt love and be loved in return. I never knew what it’s like to have someone you called your OWN. I never knew the feeling of hugging someone. Even the feeling of kissing someone you love, I didn’t know what it feels like.

 

 

Yes, I was one of those innocent people who never bumped into the word love all their lives. I was one of those people who spend life alone. I was one of those green-eyed people who were experiencing love through movies and novels. I admitted it, I was innocent in those acts lovers were doing when they’re together.

 

 

I thought that my life was never worth-living at all despite the fact that I have my loving family and supportive friends. Having them wasn’t enough. I was still looking for love that only one person could give and satisfied me. I mean, a woman who’s willing to spend her whole life with me until our last breath. But all my life, luck wasn’t on my side.

 

Snowy days and cold mornings

Dry and cold feeling

Like heart without love

 

It was a day before Christmas Eve when Mom and I had a serious talk about certain things. I could always count on Mom through my troubled and desperate times. I never thought Mom was worried about me, about my future alone. My heart was as cold as the temperature outside. No one warms it.

 

 

“Son, aren’t you worrying about your future?” Mom queried while busily checking stocks of food in the fridge.

 

 

“What’s with that question, Mom? Of course, I’m not worrying. I’m stable and I have savings.” I said with a serious face.

 

 

Mom sat across where I was sitting. She was now facing me. “That’s not what I mean. Are you not afraid of getting old without someone beside you? I mean a wife.” Mom uttered so straight.

 

 

At that very moment, Mom’s questions knocked me down in a deep thinking. I was silent for a minute when she tapped my shoulder. “Son, every parent wants a better life, a better living for their children. You finished your schooling; you have your good job. But aren’t you planning to get settle and built a happy family before you reach your thirties?”

 

 

Mom was right. I finished my studies. I graduated from one of the best schools in Seoul. I was one of the licensed architects in the country. I was working in a famous company. In short I have everything. I was a successful man.

 

 

“I want that Mom. But it seems that Mr. Cupid is still finding for my right partner. I wanted so bad to get married and have a happy life with my wife and children, but I don’t have a woman to ask if she could marry me.” I said with a despondent tone of voice.

 

 

Mom trod her way to me and wrapped his warm arms around me and said, “Son, I know you wait for so long to have the love you dreamed of all these years. But don’t get tired of waiting. God will send you a gift of love that you deserve because of your patience. Just wait and you’ll see.” Mom’s words were really calming.

 

 

Mom was right. It’s all in God’s time. I was so sure that He will give it to me in the right place, right time, and right person.

 

 

“You’re right, Mom.” I said, hugging her in return.

 

 

***

 

 

December is one of the best months in the calendar, simply because all the people around the globe celebrated Christ’s day. And my Christmas day was one of those Christmas worth-remembering. Relatives and close friends came to celebrate with us. It was really an awesome Christmas night I ever have.

 

 

But at some point I felt empty inside. Not because I didn’t feel love, but because I didn’t have my special someone, a girlfriend. I saw Mom and Dad approaching with a present in their hands.

 

 

“Son, Merry Christmas.” They said in chorused as they enclosed me in their arms. I felt loved.

 

 

“Merry Christmas, too, Mom and Dad.” I greeted and hugged them back.

 

 

“Here’s our present.” Dad said as they handed it to me.

 

 

“Thanks, Dad. Thanks, Mom.”

 

 

“I know it won’t make you totally happy. But I hope whenever you see that, it’ll makes you smile.” Mom said, pressing my shoulder.

 

 

I was curious about what Mom told me. So, I opened it hurriedly. It was a figurine of a man and a woman, hugging each other. I smiled when I saw it. Mom never failed to give me something that would give me strength. She knew love from a woman I loved was the only lacking in my life to made it complete. And through the figurine they gave me, I wouldn’t lose hope that one day I would definitely find the perfect one for me.

 

 

***

 

 

It was two in the morning, I was still awake. I was in my room, standing in front of the windowpane, watching snow as they fell down from the sky. I heard the door opened and Dad appeared with cups of hot coffee for both of us.

 

 

“Donghae, Son, can I come in?” Dad said as his face between the open spaces of the door.

 

 

“Yes, please. Come in, Dad.” I said as I turned to see him. Dad marched his way and sat in the black couch near the windowpane. I saw his reflections on the windowpane. Dad was eyeing me silently. I wondered what he was thinking.

 

 

“Son?” Dad said, breaking the silence.

 

 

“Yes, Dad?”

 

 

“Is there something that bothers you all this time?” he asked as he gave me a cup of hot coffee.

 

 

“There’s none, Dad.” I said, trying to hide it.

 

 

Dad trod and stood beside me. He patted my shoulder and smiled. I wondered what for is it? “Son, I know there’s something bothering you. You can talk me. Maybe I could help you.”

 

 

I thought for it twice before spilling the beans to Dad. He’s a man and I know he could help me, too. I inhaled a lungful of air before facing Dad with manly courage on my face. “I’m afraid I won’t have the chance to love and be loved again, Dad.” I blurted out.

 

 

“You know what, Son, there’s always a right time to love. We don’t have to rush over things especially when it comes to the matters of the heart. You’re not just the man who suffered like that; there are lots who suffered the same. And sometimes, they meet their perfect partner a bit late, but everything’s worth it.” Dad said then took a sip of coffee.

 

 

I pondered to what Dad have told me, but I didn’t understand anything. “What do you mean that everything is worth it, Dad?” I asked with furrowed eyebrows and a big question mark written all over my face.

 

 

“It’s worth it because they never spend their time loving wrong ones and ended up broken. Instead they waited patiently for the right love to come along and reserved their hearts to someone who will spend their whole life loving one another faithfully and purely.” Dad said meaningfully.

 

 

I thought of it a million times. And Dad was probably right. Why would I looked and spent love with someone who would leave me broken after? Loving a wrong person would just be a waste of time.

 

 

“I hope I helped you realize something about love.” Dad said, tapping my shoulder and then silently left the room. I was alone again with a cup of hot coffee in my hands. I faced the window and watched again the snowy scenario outside while Dad’s words were playing inside my head.

 

 

I realized that love wasn’t a game that two people play. It was something two people have to take seriously. It was something that would make two people grow better not just a couple, but individually as well.

 

 

I woke up not worrying anymore about love. I should wait for it patiently until it arrives at the right place and time. A month to go before spring came. The coldness I was feeling would soon reach its end. And I hope that like flowers blooming every spring, my heart would bloom, too because of love in it.

 

January is on its way

And love is in the air

Keep me warm, please?

 

December reached its ends while January just started. I didn’t know days quickly passed me by. Yesterday we’re just celebrating Christmas, and then now, New Year came—a year of new hope. I wondered what was waiting ahead of me. I was imagining of what great experience was bound to happen very soon.

 

 

I decided taking walks before snows disappeared around the pavements. I wanted to take last glimpse of the surrounding covered with white and dry snows like cotton candies.

 

 

I was trudging all alone while enjoying the cold white scenery around me. Chills caressed me as cold breeze blew slowly. I suddenly felt unhappy as I saw sweet couples holding hand in hand. How I wish I could do it to someone I love.

 

 

I continued walking very dispirited until I reached the park filled with children, playing happily. Laughter was all over the place, echoing still as group of children from my side naughtily throwing balls of snow at each other. On the other side was group of little girls playing on the swings. Staring at them made me warm inside. I noticed I was smiling all alone just by looking at them.

 

 

I was feeling delighted when my eyes caught the gloomy part of the park. I saw a companionless woman seating on the bench. She was very despondent. I just stared at her for half an hour. I felt worried as she was still and unmoving.

 

 

Little by little I walked paces towards her. I noticed her pale white face was wet and glistened. The beautiful woman was crying quietly alone. Her face was calmed.

 

 

I sat slowly beside the woman. I heard her breathing. But her breathing was different from mine. I wondered if she’s not feeling well.

 

 

“Who are you?” the woman uttered in a calm and soft voice. There was something in her eyes that I couldn’t figure out. She was really pale in color.

 

 

“Sorry if share a seat with you without asking for your permission. I just want to ask you if you’re feeling okay.” I said with a worried face. I was feeling nervous as I didn’t know how to approach her rightly.

 

 

She placed her hands on her lap and inhaled a lungful of air. “Actually, I’m not feeling okay. Something unexpected happened. And it was very stressful.” Tears started to fell from her eyes. She tried holding it back, but she bursts like volcano—too unpredictable.

 

 

“By the way, let me introduce myself to you. I’m Lee Donghae. I know I’m a stranger, but I want to help you with what’s bothering you inside. You can share it to me, if you want.” I said, staring at her.

 

 

“I was engaged with my long time boyfriend of eight years when he backed out. He told me that he didn’t love me anymore. That he loved someone else for a year.” She said crying hard.

 

 

“So, you mean you’re boyfriend cheated on you for a year already?” I queried, trying to clear if I heard it right.

 

 

“Yes. He cheated on me. And it’s so painful. I didn’t know how to start with my life again after it.” She said, covering . She was grasping for breath as she was still crying hard.

 

 

“Hush...you don’t have to waste tears with someone who doesn’t worth it. I know you can stand up and lived on. It’s not the end of the world for you.” I said, giving her a shoulder to cry on.

 

 

“I hope so...Thank you...” she said, forcing a smile.

 

 

Looking at her, I saw pain and sufferings. I didn’t know that it hurts too much when someone broke a woman’s heart. She wiped her tears while staring at nothingness.

 

 

“Uhm, Donghae, thanks for comforting. Even though you we just met today, you help me chased away my blues. But I need to go. I have to meet my Mom. Thanks again...” she said, leaving me without hearing what I was about to say. I still stared at her though she was too far away and slowly vanishing from my sight. She walked very calm. Observing her acts, she was a woman who moves very femininely. She was so demure.

 

 

Days and weeks passed without meeting her again in that same spot where I saw her for the very first time. I was walking my way their every afternoon, hoping to see her, but it never happened. I wondered where she was. Maybe she was healing her heart alone. Maybe she was starting her life in scrap again. And maybe, little by little she glued her broken pieces of heart. Looking up in the sky, I prayed for the fast recovery of her heart.

 

 

“January ends still no Jessica....God, when will I meet her again?”

 

Last month of winter

My last hope, last wish

Wishing to see her again...

 

February came in and the chills wouldn’t stay for long, that’s what I thought. Twenty-seven days was long, but for me who waited for someone, it’s just a short period of time. What I felt for the past months was really weird. I just met her once and see her once. I had a chance to talk to her once. And it never happened again.

 

 

Patience is a virtue. And that’s why I have it inside my heart. Waiting patiently to the girl I met once somewhere in the month of January. My mind and heart was in trouble. I couldn’t think of what to do, so, I decided to have a talk with Mom again.

 

 

It was nine in the evening when I went down stairs and saw Mom having her habit of sipping a cup of tea before going to bed. She was sitting erectly and knitting on the couch in the living room. “Mom, can I talk to you for awhile?” I said, sitting beside her.

 

 

Mom stopped from what she was doing and placed it in her lap. “Why? Is there any problem in your office?” Mom said, trying to figure out what was wrong with me.

 

 

I leaned back and took a deep breath and uttered, “No. Mom, it’s not about work. It’s about what happened to me last month in the park.” I said, looking at the ceiling.

 

 

“Why? What happened to you last month?” Mom queried, taking off her glasses in her eyes.

 

 

“I met a girl in the park, her name is Jessica. She was so broken hearted as her boyfriend broke up with her because of other girl. I comforted her and after that day, I never see her again.” I said.

 

 

“And what’s the problem with that? I’m happy that you helped the woman that’s a stranger to you.” Mom said, patting my lap.

 

 

“The problem is that, I kept searching for her, waiting for her. And as days passes by without seeing her, it drives me crazy.” I said straight to the point.

 

 

Mom smiled a meaningful smile. I wondered what she was thinking while smiling at me so weirdly. “Mom, what’s with that smile?” I asked her with a wrinkled forehead. I was really clueless.

 

 

“I think you’re in love, Son.” Mom replied shortly.

 

 

“Is that what you believe, Mom?”

 

 

“It’s a mother’s instinct, Son. And believe me, you’re in love.” Mom said, looking at me very sure of what she was telling me.

 

 

“Well, I believe in you, Mom. Thanks for your instinct. I have to sleep now. You should sleep too. Good night.” I said, leaving a kiss on Mom’s forehead.

 

 

I tried assessing myself. But I couldn’t fully assess myself because I didn’t experience love at all. I was still innocent about it. But I knew when I saw her again; my troubled mind and heart would soon be vanished.

 

 

***

 

 

Second week of February easily arrived. After a tiring day of work, I decided taking a walk in the park. Unlike before, the playground was too quiet. No children were happily playing around. Deafening silence surrounded the place.

 

 

While taking steps towards the playground, there I saw her again. She was sitting on the swing—unmoving. I marched hastily to reach her before she could disappear again without hearing what I was about to say.

 

 

“Hello” I greeted her happily as sat on the vacant swing near hear.

 

 

She glanced at me and forced a smile. “Hi.” She said.

 

 

“How are you?”

 

 

“I’m feeling unwell. I feel very tired as I walked my way her. And my joints are bit in pain. Maybe, I’m just sick, flu, I think.” She said in a calm voice.

 

 

“Do you visit a doctor for a check up?” I said worriedly.

 

 

She smiled a mischievous smile and uttered, “Well, I hate doctors. That’s why never in my entire life I go to see a doctor.”

 

 

“I see. I won’t force you to see one, then. By the way, how’s your heart?” I asked her, hoping to hear a positive answer from her. I secretly crossed my fingers.

 

 

“I’m still mending my broken heart. But if there’s someone who could help me fix this, my recovery would be fast.” She answered with starry-eyes while her left hand was above her chest. Maybe feeling the beat her heart was making.

 

 

Hearing those from her made my heart throbbed like never before—an unfamiliar throb and it felt weird. I felt weird again. “Will it be okay if I’m that someone who could help you to fix your broken heart?” I said so sudden. My tongue has the life of its own. It was after I realized that I uttered or rather asked her a weird question.

 

 

“Are you serious? If you’re serious, then, let’s try...” she said as she looked at me straight to my eyes and flashed a sweet smile.

 

 

I knew it would be hard for me. And if Jessica was the answer to all my prayers, then God already gave me the answer. God sent her over just at the right time, right place, and in the right person.

 

 

It was somewhere in January that I met this calm woman and I didn’t know that love already bumped into me in a woman like Jessica.

 

 

“Will our hearts bloom like flowers during spring? Will our hearts find the right way to love? I hope so...”

 

 

 

>..comments are very much welcome and appreciated..<