Chapter 8

Tied Like Puppets

"I'm so ing angry at you right now." Yoongi was sitting beside Seokjin's hospital bed. Seokjin had been idiotic enough to catch hypothermia the night he ran out into winter, and he was still cold, still warming up. Yoongi's hand was the warmest thing touching him; his shoulder was the warmest part of his body.

"I can't believe you're so stupid as to collapse in the snow for five ing hours. We almost lost you, you know? You could have died all because you're too chicken to make out with a couple of cute boys." Yoongi said. He sighed and pulled his hand from Seokjin's shoulder. "But you know what? I'm not that mad. I'm just really happy you're not dead right now, you ."

Seokjin stared at his bed for two minutes, thinking. Yoongi was right. He was so right, and he had been all along, and Seokjin could do it. He and Taehyung and Jungkook could have a relationship as beautiful as the sun looked to a pretty day. It would be JungkookandTaehyungandSeokjin rather than JungkookandTaehyung and Seokjin. They could be something. They could have something.

"Thanks." Seokjin muttered eventually. Yoongi didn't say anything in return, leaving the two of them in silence for a good ten minutes.

"They told me they loved me." Seokjin said, and it was the first time he'd truly said anything about Taehyung and Jungkook to Yoongi. Yoongi looked at him, and Seokjin looked away. "They told me, but they didn't... they've never kissed me, never touched me- I mean, they offered me to join them, but I don't...."

"Do you doubt them?" Yoongi asked, and it was the first time he'd been gentle with his words on the subject. Seokjin looked at him, and he shook his head.

"I just...." Seokjin looked down at his hands. "I don't know. I kind of feel like they're just bored or something, and that's why they love me. They're bored of each other but they still love each other but they want someone else to love."

"So you do doubt them." Yoongi said.

"I guess so." Seokjin whispered. Yoongi didn't say anything in return.


"Yoongi-hyung's been real mean to you, hasn't he?" Jimin asked. Seokjin was back into the normal swing of things, making coffee in the morning, only Yoongi wasn't beside him anymore- Jimin was. And, strangely (but oh-so-expectedly) enough, he was making his coffee the same way Yoongi had been making his recently. "He keeps telling me that you're stupid, but I think you're just scared- right, hyung?"

"Yoongi really can't keep a secret, can he?" Seokjin chuckled. It was true, though; he was scared, and he was pretty stupid, and Yoongi had every right to be mean to him. Who was he to doubt Taehyung and Jungkook's feelings, really, when he had no idea how they were feeling? He was destroying three people when he could be making everyone really happy. Jungkook had fallen into a sort of depression lately. He wouldn't talk to anyone, hardly looked at Taehyung, and would only eat if Namjoon was sitting beside him. (Seokjin wondered why.) Taehyung also wasn't talking too much lately, and he definitely wasn't being himself.

"I think I'm a coward." Seokjin said after a few minutes, but by then, Jimin was already gone, slipping into his room with Yoongi on the other side of the door.


"You can do this, Jin. You can do it. Just knock on the door. Knock on the door. Now." Seokjin had gotten into the habit of talking to himself lately. For the most part, it was for motivational purposes- like right now, convincing himself to go into his own room. But sometimes he whispered to himself, late at night, when he was lonely, and he missed the sound of Jungkook and Taehyung sharing secrets.

"Jungkook? Taehyung?" Seokjin called instead of knocking. He waited for a few minutes, half-hoping that the door wouldn't open. He hadn't been very luckly lately.

"Hyung," Taehyung whispered. He had Jungkook a step behind him again, peeking over his shoulder like a little kid being forced to greet a family member they'd never met before. Seokjin stood there for a good thirty seconds with nothing to say. (Taeyung spoke for him.) "You haven't slept in our room for a while. Do you feel better? You aren't cold anymore?"

"Uh- no. No more chills." Seokjin said. He shifted a little, scratched the back of his head. "I actually- I wanted to talk to you two. About... like, about us. All three of us. And our relationship and stuff."

Taehyung stared at Seokjin for a while. He glanced back at Jungkook who, just slightly, shook his head.

"Hyung, we... we're a little sick of being hurt." Taehyung said. He leaned against the doorway; his hand slipped off the door knob. "We know you're not trying to play with us but we kind of feel like puppets right now. You play with us for a little while and then you just abandon us for whatever reason-"

"I won't... I won't abandon you this time. I promise." Seokjin said. He stood up a little bit straighter. "Look, I've just been really insecure lately. Not about myself; I know you guys love me, I'm not stupid enough to believe otherwise after you've told me to my face that you do. I'm just... a little bit of an idiot- you know that. I'm so stupid, stupid enough to believe that we couldn't work out a three-part relationship. I'm dumb enough to not believe in you guys or myself. And I'm- I'm really sorry."

"You were scared." Jungkook said. He sighed heavy, rolled his eyes. "Everyone's always scared, hyung, in every ing book and movie-"

"I'm sorry!" Seokjin said. "I couldn't help it- it's new and different and scary for me because I just, I care about you guys a lot and I'd rather not let everything crumble at my feet because I make a mistake or I mistreat you guys or I get between you or I-"

"It's not always you, hyung." Jungkook cut him off. "There go your insecurities again. You keep saying you'll up. How do you know that? How do you know one of us won't up? How do you know someone else won't up? How do you know that anything will  up?"

"Because I think...." Seokjin scratched the back of his neck. He didnt want to voice his doubt, but how else would he tell Taehyung and Jungkook he didn't want to be in a relationship like this? How else will he explain why? "I think you guys are... bored. Like, you still love each other but you're-you're young and you want to love someone else."

Silence. It was ing deafening, and Seokjin wasn't brave enough to look at them. He didn't want to see their expression, or the look in their eyes- oh, their eyes always had a story to tell. This time, it was either truth or anger or disappointment or-

"Okay, hyung." Taehyung whispered, and Seokjin looked up. Taehyung had tears- tears in his eyes, and he was looking down a little, wouldn't make eye contact with Seokjin. Jungkook was behind him still, and his face was hidden, but dammit, Seokjin wanted to see. It was torture, and he rather the boys not cry like that, but he wanted to see- he wanted to know what they were feeling so maybe, if it was a problem later, he could work on fixing it early.

"You'll sleep with us still, right?" Taehyung whispered, and his voice cracked harder than it did when he'd been singing too much. Seokjin gulped; he couldn't find an answer. He had tears creeping up his own eyes, a sob sliding up his throat, and he couldn't respond.

"I'll take that as a no. Another no." Taehyung sighed. He finally made eye contact with Seokjin, and Seokjin found himself wishing he'd never looked up, had never even seen the tears in Taehyung's eyes. Taehyung shifted, and Seokjin saw Jungkook, too; he was crying.

"I'm-"

"Don't say sorry, it's okay." Taehyung wiped his eyes. "We're tired."

"Okay." Seokjin whispered, stepping back five times. Taehyung gave Seokjin a small smile and shut the door. Seokjin heard the faint click of a lock, and his shoulders dropped. There it went- there it ing went. Seokjin's throat tightened up and he had to clamp a hand over his mouth to prevent a sob from coming up.

Seokjin turned down the hall and walked towards Jimin's room. He didn't care if they were or weren't sleeping- he needed friends, and he needed them now. He knocked on the door, once, twice, and Yoongi was the one to open it.

"Jin?" Yoongi whispered, and his voice was so soft that Seokjin couldn't hold back the sob.

"Jin." Yoongi muttered, and he sounded a little disappointed, but it was mostly concern. He wrapped Seokjin up and hugged him tight- Jimin's arms soon joined. Yoongi pulled him into the room and shut the door behind him, and Seokjin gave Yoongi and Jimin his heart in a way he'd never had to before.

"I'm so stupid." Seokjin muttered, wiping his eyes with the palm of his hand. "I can't believe- why would I say that to them? They're too young to be pushed around and ed with. I'm-I'm their hyung, you know? I shouldn't be doing this to them."

"You're not sure, Jin." Yoongi said. "What have Taehyung and Jungkook done to prove their love? They've told you, sure, but sometimes saying isn't enough. You have every right to believe they're just bored, honestly, because it's hard to tell with them. They're so young."

"But I'm their hyung, Yoongi, and they- they cried." Seokjin said. "When I told them that, they both cried. That's not fake. Sadness isn't fake."

"That's true." Yoongi muttered. He stared at his thighs for a minute, two, three. Jimin spoke before Yoongi could think of something to say.

"Maybe you should tell them how you feel- explain yourself." Jimin said. "Tell them you do love them and you do want to be with them, and then explain why exactly you think they're bored. Maybe they'll show you they're not. Maybe they'll really forgive you this time."

"Maybe." Seokjin muttered. He stood. "I'm going to sleep, okay? I'm tired."

"Stay here." Yoongi said, standing up. He pulled back the blankets on the extra bed. "Jimin and I won't make too much noise."

"Okay."

❝ ♥ ❞

A/N: I added a little bit more to this than I intended on having when I first started out. It was actually going to end with this chapter, but I decided to expand a little bit. We'll see how that goes.

Thank you guys for the awesome comments! You're all very sweet and very worried about Jin's favorite pillow a couple chapters back, haha. Thanks for being awesome readers! <3 This sounds like a goodbye message omg, but the story's not over yet! I'll update soon, x