Smiles & Lies

Tokyo Nights (HIATUS)

Conversation in Korean will be denoted by cursive letters.

“Oh, I thought she would be Korean,” whispered Coco-chan to Kimura-san. Junsu noticed how all around the kotatsu conversation broke for a split second, when the door opened and a young Caucasian hostess came in. He, too, was surprised to see a Gaijin hostess being the one who spoke Korean. He remembered that this hostess had just started working at the Shiroryuu and one could read the insecurity on her face. Rather than confidently striding into the room like the other hostesses had done, she stopped and turned, probably waiting for Yumi-chan to come in and introduce her, but Yumi-chan just nodded politely and closed the door. The young woman was also dressed differently than the other hostesses: She wore a simple white knee-long summer-dress and high-heeled sandals, which stood in strong contrasts to Yamaa-san’s companion, Chi-chan, who wore a glossy skin-tight pink mini-dress, which barely concealed anything. Her make-up also wasn’t as heavy, which made her look younger than the other hostesses, but also was refreshing.

Talk politely became quieter again when the young woman approached the kotatsu, bowed and introduced herself: “Hajimemae. I am Rie-chan. Yoroshiku onegai shimasu!” There was united “Hajimemae” and then everyone returned to their conversation. Rie-chan stood there desperately searching the present parties with her eyes to find the unaccompanied guest, so Junsu awkwardly raised his arm and waved at her to come over. She spotted him, flashed an insecure smile and came around the kotatsu to sit down next to him.

Kimura-san and Coco-san made room for Rie-chan and she sat down. “Nice to meet you,” she repeated in Japanese, folding her hand in her lap. “I mean… nice to meet you,” she corrected herself, letting out an insecure laugh. “Nice to meet you,” said Junsu. He tried to imagine that he was on a blind date – he had been on one once before – that way he could maybe talk more naturally. He was glad she hadn’t recognized him as an idol, that way he could enjoy himself more easily and make a better impression on the Pearl Station employees.

What is your name?” Rie-chan asked, interestingly revealing a Japanese accent in her Korean. He should ask her where she had grown up. “My name is Kim Junsu,” he replied. “Where are you from?” “I am German.” “Really? Your Japanese sounds very good and, well, you have a Japanese accent when you speak Korean!” “I do?” Rie-chan laughed insecurely again. Then her smile faded and was replaced by a puzzled look. “I don’t want to be impolite, but… do I know you?”

Usually Junsu got this reaction from elderly ladies, who needed their time until they remembered that they had seen him on TV a while back. It was strange to see the same reaction time in a young woman. He hesitated. He didn’t want to lie, but he wasn’t keen on signing autographs. But then again – if she hadn’t instantly recognized him, she couldn’t be a big fan.

I’m a musician,” he said.

Ah, I remember. Are you part of Dong Bang Shin Ki?”

Her words stung him sharply. Most people were sensitive enough to no longer address him as DBSK member. Rie-chan obviously didn’t know about DBSK’s history and had no intention of hurting him, but he couldn’t help getting a little upset. He cursed himself, that he couldn’t ignore that little mistake, which made him even madder: “No! I am not,” he snapped at her more angrily than he wanted to. Taken aback, she apologized.

There was an uncomfortable silence, where Junsu’s eyes caught a worried look from Yamaa-san and Chi-chan. Determined to prove that he could make it through a hostess night, Junsu turned his head back to Rie-chan and apologized, too: “I am sorry. You didn’t know of course. That band broke up. I’m in a different band now.” “I see,” said Richardis a little coldly.

Chi-chan and Yamaa-san were again shooting worried looks. “Everything’s fine!” Junsu assured them. He ruffled his hair in desperation, while Rie-chan continued to stare at him with her large brown eyes. He decided it was time for some desperate action, if he wanted to save the evening: “Look, you are paid to do this, correct?” “Correct.” “Then – since no one else speaks Korean – do you mind making it seem as though we are getting along really well?” She gave him another stare and replied: “Like do you want me to laugh at everything you say?” “Could you?

She laughed and this time it was not the insecure laugh of a little girl, but a loud shower of silvery sounds. “Like this?” she asked. “Ehm, yes.

 

What the hell was going on? Richardis felt like an idiot. She couldn’t tell if she really had been ignorantly rude to Kim Junsu, or if he was playing some sort of game. She didn’t know what had happened to his precious Dong Bang Shin Ki and she didn’t really care, she just wanted to do well while she was still in her training period and he was giving her a hard time. She had already felt tired when she had come home to Ayame’s apartment, by now she was completely exhausted and her nerves were on edge. He wanted her to laugh? Sure! Whatever…

Then what are we going to talk about if it’s just acting?” she asked him. “I don’t know,” he said, “Anything I guess.” She chuckled. “Okay, then tell me what you honestly think about this kind of place?” “What kind of question is that?” he said perplexed. “You wanted to talk about anything at all. I proposed a topic. Unless you also want to tell lies for the rest of the evening.” “Isn’t telling lies what you do all evening?”

A curse escaped Richardis’s mouth before she could stop it. Luckily it was in German. “What did you say?” asked Kim Junsu irritated. “Nothing. But I think if you want to be convincing you should act some more. We should laugh together you know,” said Richardis. Kim Junsu nodded and then also let out a laugh. It wasn’t difficult for her to join in – his acting was pitiful. “He must have had a long day, too,” thought Richardis.

She couldn’t make sense of this guy. He had spoken so friendly at first, almost shy at the same time. Now he wanted her to act... because he wanted to impress his business buddies? Or was it some sadistic thing he did with hostesses, where he tried to make their job difficult? On top of everything he was also annoyingly handsome.

Let me tell you what I really think of places like this,” he continued. “Please tell me,” said Richardis, putting on a fake smile. “I think that this is all one big charade. Everyone here is lying to themselves when they try to believe that this is a natural way to spend one’s nights.” “So you don’t approve of what we do.” “I don’t.” “Then why are you here?” “Because the inofficial rules of society dictate it.” “Sorry, what?”

Richardis’s Korean was limited. She could have a conversation, but if one started throwing around more difficult words, she’d draw a blank. “Nevermind,” said Kim Junsu, now showing her his fake – again annoyingly handsome – smile. “If there is anything unnatural,” said Richardis, “it’s this way of talking!” It really was a challenge to remain composed and have a pleasant and happy facial expression, while arguing with someone.

Unnatural is that people get paid for drinking, singing karaoke and never saying what you really think. That is sickening.” said Kim Junsu calmly. His words were hurting her, because she, too, thought something along the same lines, but she needed this job and he was making everything worse than it had to be. “Excuse me, but you get payed for singing and hopping on a stage!” “It’s a tat bit more complicated than that!” “Hostessing is not as easy is you think!” “It isn’t?” “No! We have to deal with people like you!” “People like me? People who say what they really think?”

I don’t know what you want from me!” said Richardis, trying hard not to sound hysteric. “Is this a joke to you? Do you want me to laugh? Is this your idea of fun? Do you want me to cry?”

Junsu hated himself. He didn’t know where all the bottled up anger came from, but he was extremely pissed. At everything. At everyone. And while he hated the world he had to wear a smile. A smile that he requested. What was he doing? He needed to stop! But who did that girl think she was? She got payed for lazily flirting and drinking! She got to dress up every night and let rich men tell her how pretty she was! She was kind of pretty… but at the same time he couldn’t stand looking at her, with those big brown eyes - judging him.

You don’t know me and I don’t know you. Let’s not talk about each other’s jobs,” he said and she laughed her silvery laugh and shook her head. To someone who had no idea what they had been saying, it must have looked as though he had just made a brilliant joke, but he knew Rie-chan was shaking with anger. Was she right? Did it really give him some sick satisfaction to vent his anger on someone? No, he hated himself for talking like this! Having to talk like this!

“Hey, Kim-san!” said a voice from somewhere far away. “Yes?” It was Yamaa-san, who was waving for his attention. “Everyone listen up,” said Yamaa-san and the group went quiet. Rie-chan immediately turned her head away from Junsu, so that the back of her head faced him. “It’s been a wonderful evening so far – as always!” Everyone clapped and cheered.  “But we originally got the idea to come here, because we want to sing karaoke.” More clapping and cheering.

Chi-chan stood up and walked over to one of the walls, all eyes on her. “I’d like to propose we play a game – you probably all know it – but with our integrated karaoke system it will be even nicer!” Another round of cheers and clapping. “I think it’s time for Karaoke King and Queen1.” Almost magically, as Chi-chan spoke the room darkened, disco lights and the wall parted to reveal a huge TV screen. The party almost outdid themselves with cheers and applause. Iwasaki-san even excitedly jumped up and down, which caused lots of laughter among the hostesses.

Junsu was glad that he did know this game. You had to pair up, sing duets and then everyone else would be the jury and give you points. The pair with the best score would be crowned karaoke king and queen at the end of the game. Usually that crowning wasn’t really a thing, someone just announced the score and then everyone celebrated, but as he could see now, Yumi-chan had entered the room again, carrying two cushions with glittering crowns on them.

“Everyone find a partner!” called Chi-chan and took the cushions from Yumi-chan, who vanished again. Junsu and Rie-chan gave each other one quick look and then both got up to find someone else – anyone else to team up with. Junsu saw Kimura-san team up with Mayu-chan, who had been the youngest employees – Takahashi-san’s requested hostess, so he figured it should be okay for him to team up with someone else. He smiled and waved at Coco-chan, who had been left behind by Kimura-san and she returned his smile and came over to him.

“I’m afraid I don’t sing so well!” she said. “It’ll be fine,” said Junsu, “You’ll make up for it in beauty.” Coco-chan laughed and Junsu felt estranged by himself. He could give superficial compliments with this hostess, why hadn’t he been able to talk normally to Rie-chan? He looked around to see where she had gone and could see her standing awkwardly next to Takahashi-san, who was shyly talking to her.

“Has everyone found a partner?” asked Chi-chan, Yamaa-san next to her. A collective “yes!” sounded from the group. “Kimura-san and Mayu-chan, why don’t you start?” said Chi-chan, handing the karaoke machine controller to the oldest Pearl Station employee.

 

Richardis was glad to get away from Kim Junsu. She was angry that she hadn’t been able to handle the situation better. What if he negatively reported about her to the Mama-san or to Choi-san? She must have really offended him by naming the wrong band. She figured that there was something she really didn’t know… but he had no right to judge her like that! The corners of hurt slightly from keeping up the fake smile. She wasn’t really off to a good start in her hostessing career.

Takahashi-san was a more pleasant fellow: He couldn’t be much older than her, certainly still in his 20s and he was shy, careful and polite. “My singing is not so good,” he told her. “That’s okay!” said Richardis, “I love singing. We’ll be fine. It’s not about winning right? It’s about fun!” He nodded and the two started discussing which songs they would pick.

Kimura-san and Mayu-chan had finally picked theirs and the instrumental of a song started playing. “Wow!” said Richardis, “The sound quality is amazing, right?” Takahashi-san nodded and smiled. Kimura-san and Mayu-chan began singing an enka2 ballad and everyone else swayed in the rhythm of the song. Mayu-chan had a sweet angelic voice which complimented Kimura-san’s deep base neatly, so when they finished they received a lot of applause.

“Everyone one by one gets to enter their score into the controller here!” explained Chi-chan, as the clapping died down. “It’s anonymous, so just pick whatever score you think is deserved!” One by one everyone individually entered their score. After Kim Junsu had entered his score, he looked around to see who hadn’t yet and there was only Takahashi and Richardis left. Not wanting to look at him, Richardis purposely stepped back to let Takahashi-san go first.

“I gave an 8,” said Takahashi-san, as though he needed her confirmation of his judging. “Sounds good,” said Richardis, “I’ll go with the same number,” and she also pressed the button for score 8. It was Yamaa-san and Chi-chan’s turn next and they shook things up a bit, when they choose a Visual Kei3 rock song – quite the contrast to the preceding enka ballad.

Everyone started clapping their hands in rhythm to this song, although Yamaa-san and Chi-chan’s vocals weren’t particularly good. Iwasaki-san and Yoko-chan actually started dancing together, so Richardis offered Takahashi-san her hand and the two also started dancing. It was a little awkward at first, but then Takahashi-san loosened up and actually spun her around the room a little. When the song ended they were breathing heavy and laughing. So hostessing could be fun after all, thought Richardis.

Junsu and Coco-chan clapped along with the fast-paced rock song and for the first time Junsu actually felt himself relaxed a little. This was his thing: Music! They should have started singing karaoke earlier, than he wouldn’t have to have gone through all this uncomfortable talking with strangers. He thought that he would surely agree to go out for Karaoke with Yamaa-san and everyone else again, but if possibly not at a hostess club. He banned Rie-chan from his thoughts and just enjoyed the music.

When the song ended and the disco lights were replaced by the normal lamps again, everyone cheered even more loudly than before. By now at least the men in the company – except Junsu – were at the very least tipsy: When Chi-chan handed the karaoke controller to Kimura-san, the Pearl Station employee actually had trouble pressing the correct button. “Just go with 10,” joked Chi-chan.

Everyone entered their score, Junsu deciding to give them score 7, since the song had been fun, but not particularly well sung. It was either his or Iwasaki-san’s turn next, as they were both 27. Junsu decided to let Iwasaki-san go first and handed him the controller.

While Iwasaki-san and Yoko-chan were still picking their song, Mayu-chan and Coco-chan got into a small argument. “You’re not even supposed to bring it inside here!” said Coco-chan, pointing at something in Mayu-chan’s hand. “It’s important!” said Mayu-chan, “I have to make a call at this time! I promised my boyfriend!” Junsu didn’t want to spy, but Coco-chan was standing next to him after all, so he couldn’t help but overhear.

“You are turning off that phone right now!” said Coco-chan. Yamaa-san who had previously still been bowing in front of the karaoke string joined them and immediately broke up the two girls. “Woh woh, ladies! There is no need for a fight here! Mayu-chan, if you gotta call him, then you gotta call him!” Mayu-chan smiled thankfully, shot Coco-chan a quick angry look and vanished outside. “Just be back in time to rate the next performance!” Yamaa-san called after her.

“Now, Kim-san, are you enjoying yourself?” he asked Junsu next. “Absolutely!” said Junsu. “I saw you getting along really well with Rie-chan,” said Yamaa-san, friendlily nudging Junsu. “Too bad there isn’t enough time for a 2nd round or I’d suggest the two of you join together for a duet.” “Rie-chan was very nice, but she said it would be unfair if the two best singers joined together – so we separated!” lied Junsu. “Oh, Rie-chan can sing?” said Chi-chan, “I wanna hear that!” Junsu prayed that Rie-chan really could sing or that Yamaa-san and Chi-chan would have forgotten about his little lie by the time it was actually her turn.

As Iwasaki-san and Yoko-chan began their Western R&B number, Mayu-chan hastened back into the room. Coco-chan vanished from Junsu’s side again and confiscated Mayu-chan’s cellphone who protested quietly, but then gave up. “Kim-san,” she said when she came back. “Do you know Possibility by Boa and Miura Daichi4?” “Of course,” said Junsu, “Let’s sing that.” Coco-chan smiled and he could see her eye the two crowns on the cushions which stood on the kotatsu.

 

“I found a song,” said Richardis to Takahashi-san. “Oh, great, which one?” “How about… Grotesque by Namie Amuro and Ken Hirai5?” “Why not!”


1 Karaoke King & Queen = that is not a real karaoke game, I made that up :D

2 Enka = traditional Japanese pop, usually in ballad form

3 Visual Kei = Japanese rock-meets-metal-genre, emphasizes eccentric flamboyant fashion on top of the music

4 Listen to the song here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdFbRLVcPZM

5 Listen to the song here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUhACyZIH1s

I totally just noticed I named 2 character's Mori-san. omg! rookie mistake! I'm going to rename the Pearl Station employee! Don't get confused that was totally not supposed to be the same guy, as the host that Ayame has a crush on! So, the 2nd Mori-san is now going to be Iwasaki-san. Hope that didn't cause any confusion. O.O Yay, Junsu and Richardis have finally met! How are you liking their chemistry? :D