Queen & King

Tokyo Nights (HIATUS)

As the beginning of his own performance grew nearer and nearer, Junsu got calmer and calmer. He had come to Japan to make music and this was his opportunity to show the Pearl Station employees what he was capable of. While Iwasaki-san and Mayu-chan were still singing their number, he was already singing his choice of song in his head, thinking of parts where he would be able to demonstrate his vocal skills well. It wasn’t his intention to show off, he just wanted to demonstrate that it was worthwhile for Pearl Station to invest in him.

When Iwasaki-san and Mayu-chan had finished, everyone seemed to grade them a little quicker than they had graded the other duos and then heads expectantly turned to him and Coco-chan. “Now I’m nervous!” said the hostess, letting out a giggle. “Let’s do this,” said Junsu, receiving a microphone from Iwasaki-san.

The instrumental of Possibility by Boa and Miura Daichi started playing. They hadn’t even started singing, but everyone was already swaying in the rhythm of the JPop-R&B number. Coco-chan started off the song. Her singing wasn’t bad – it was a little bit nasal – but she hit her notes quite well. While singing she smiled at Junsu, who returned the smile to encourage her, so she too began swaying with the rhythm of the song. As the bridge began, he joined in and they sang together until the 1st chorus ended. Then Junsu began the 2nd verse.

 

Richardis was dumbstruck. She knew a few idols from the Korean music market and too often than not had she seen pretty faces with average singing abilities. Kim Junsu however captured the entire audience the moment he hit his first solo note. Coco-chan dancing next to him faded out into oblivion and his presence and voice filled the entire room with its beautiful husky resonance. The party guests around her started cheering and whistling in awe and she had joined in before she knew what was happening.

When Kim Junsu and Coco-chan had finished, they received the biggest applause by far. Takahashi-san turned to Richardis: “There’s no way we’ll be able to beat that.” “I don’t think so either. Never mind winning, let’s just enjoy ourselves.” Everyone started passing around the controller for grading. When Richardis received it, she hesitated. Kim Junsu had been very good, but Coco-chan had been a little weak. Richardis decided to give them 8.

“What did you give?” asked Takahashi-san. “Don’t let me influence you. That would be cheating!” “Hm, ok.” And he typed in a double-digit number. There was no way they were going to win, but Richardis wanted to contribute something worthwhile to the evening and singing was something she knew a little bit about.

“Are you ready?” asked Coco-chan holding out the microphones for Richardis and Takahashi-san. “Yes!” they said together, took the microphones and positioned themselves in front of the screen. The fast-pace instrumental of Grotesque started playing, while the title of the song flashed on screen. Then the lyrics of the first line appeared on screen and Takahashi-san began singing.

Junsu again found himself staring at the back of Rie-chan’s head and the curly strands of hair that were falling over her back. When the title of the song showed on the screen, Junsu snorted involuntarily. He had seen her and Takahashi-san pick their song, before he and Coco-chan had performed, so they couldn’t have known what he was going to sing… nevertheless they had picked a song that was the exact opposite of what he had chosen: Possibility was a medium-paced R&B number about never wanting to leave the one you love, while Grotesque was fast-paced dance track about a couple whose love turns into hate and who blame each other for their divorce.

Takahashi-san opened the song. His voice quivered a little and he shot an insecure look at Rie-chan, who shot an encouraging one back. After half of the first verse it was Rie-chan’s turn and she began to sing. “Wow!” said Coco-chan next to Junsu, shouting a little to be heard over the music, “We might have a rival!” And Junsu felt he had to agree. Rie-chan’s vocals were strong and her voice thick like honey. When she and Takahashi-san started singing the bridge in union, he got encouraged by the whistling and applause of the party and put more force into his singing as well.

By the 2nd chorus the two really were a sight: Both had lost any previously existing insecurity and were singing with full strength, which – supported by the excellent sound system – sounded quite impressive. Both apparently knew the song by heart, because they turned away from the screen, faced each other and started singing their lines leaning forwards and leaning back, mimicking the way the couple in the lyrics was fighting.

 

Richardis decided to completely loose herself in the song. She was angry and the song was angry. They were perfect for each other. The clapping and the whistles from the party told her she was doing it right. When her solo part came between the last two choruses she gave everything to deliver it with both her voice and body. Takahashi-san smiled at her and she smiled back, which reminded her of her conversation with Kim Junsu earlier: A happy facial expression and angry words. But this time she bitterly enjoyed it.

When the song ended Takahashi-san and Richardis bowed under massive applause. As the applause slowly died down, she raised her head to take a peek at what Kim Junsu was doing. He was applauding, but looking at the wall somewhere left of where she was standing.

The controller went around and Takahashi-san and Richardis waited while everyone graded them. “This is going to be a close one!” said Yoko-chan excitedly. “Yeah and it won’t be us winning,” said Iwasaki-san, “You’re my queen anyway,” he told his hostess and she giggled.

“That was amazing,” said Takahashi-san, smiling from one ear to the other. “It was!” said Richardis, “Oh, but let’s be careful with the self-praise and not jinx it!” “Understood,” said Takahashi-san and held out his hand for a high-five.

Junsu saw Takahashi-san and Rie-chan high-five, then someone nudged him and he turned his head. “Your turn,” said Coco-chan and handed him the controller. “Thank you,” he said and turned his attention to the machine. It wasn’t a 10, but it was better than a 7. 8 or 9? 8 or 9? Whatever difference in personality there might be between him and Rie-chan, he wanted to grade her honestly. Takahashi-san hadn’t started off well, but his and Rie-chan’s voice had complimented each other nicely and the later part of the performance had been quite fiery. He hovered over the space between 8 and the 9.

“Hurry up, Kim-san, we wanna know who won!” said Iwasaki-san. Junsu sighed and pressed 9. It didn’t matter who won. It was a game. He might as well give the higher score. “Thank you,” said Iwasaki-san, receiving the controller from Junsu and without hesitation putting in a double digit. Yoko-chan also graded the performance and then Chi-chan took the controller from her. She clicked something and the room darkened again, while the TV screen lit up in white.

An animated a chibi1 wearing a crown appeared on the screen and began speaking in a pleasant – slightly electronic sounding voice: “Place 5 of tonight’s karaoke championship is… Iwasaki-sama and Yoko-chan with 50 points of 80!” The TV screen showed animated confetti and the two names of the contestants. Everyone clapped, laughed and Iwasaki-san and Yoko bowed again, waving off the applause. “Next time!” Iwasaki-san said to Yoko-chan and they did the pinky swear.

“Place 4 of tonight’s championship is… Yamaa-sama and Chi-chan with 58 points of 80!” Everyone clapped for them, too and Yamaa-san hugged Chi-chan, when she looked a little disappointed. To no one’s surprise Kimura-san and Mayu-chan came in 3rd with 65 points and then it was time to reveal the winner and the runner-up.

 

The screen darkened and a drum roll sound played. Someone took Richardis’s hand and she turned her head in surprise, seeing Takahashi-san smiling at her excitedly. She smiled back; squeezing his hand in a manner she thought was friendly.

The screen suddenly went from black to white. After Richardis’s eyes had adjusted to the sudden change in light, she read “Kim-sama and Coco-chan 76 points out of 80.”

The room exploded in applause and then real confetti started falling from room’s ceiling. Takahashi-san gently pulled Richardis’s hand, while she still stared at the screen which was now showing her own name alongside Takahashi’s with a score of 77. Once she had successfully convinced herself that what she was reading was true, she let the noise and the pulling on her hand enter her mind again. She turned her head. “We won!” shouted Takahashi-san and he began a little victory dance. It took Richardis a second to realize that she was probably supposed to join in, so she did.

“By one point! So close!” said Coco-chan to Junsu in a disappointed voice. “You can’t always win,” he answered feeling a little numb. He was fine with not winning. This wasn’t an important victory. Rie-chan could get all the plastic crowns she wanted; he had no problem with that. He watched her and Takahashi-san do a little victory dance and then Yamaa-san and Chi-chan picking up the cushions with the crowns and presenting them to the winning team. Like a well-mannered Japanese lady Rie-chan bowed, while Chi-chan placed the crown on her head and then bowed again to the rest of the party, thanking everyone over and over again, while behind her on the TV screen a little animated chibi king and queen were jumping up and down.

It had been a stressful and a strange evening, thought Junsu. But this was maybe the strangest thing… he had ended up at a hostess club, requested a Caucasian hostess… then gotten in a fight with her… and then had been beaten by her in Karaoke King and Queen. He was going to remember this night for sure. Not really fondly, more as a life-lesson, which main-point it was to never ever again enter a hostess club.

He realized he had been quietly thinking and ignoring Coco-chan, when she showed an exasperated expression and went looking for Kimura-san. “It’s getting late!” said Yamaa-san coming towards Junsu. “It might be time to go home. What do you think, Kim-san?” “It has been a wonderful evening, but I’m afraid I must agree. I think it’s time to go home for Iwasaki-san at least.” He and Yamaa-san turned to look at Iwasaki-san, who was having a drunken laughing fit, which actually made Yoko-chan look worried.

“Are you leaving us?” said Chi-chan joining the two. “I’m afraid so, my love,” said Yamaa-san sending Chi-chan a sad smile. “But you will come back soon, won’t you?” asked Chi-chan, “Of course!” said Yamaa-san.

 

When they had ended their little victory dance, Takahashi-san started showering Richardis with compliments for her performance and her commitment. Around them people were getting ready to leave. “Everyone, I think we should call it a night!” said Yamaa-san and the hostesses let out a collective “oh, no…”. Every couple of guest and hostess argued friendlily over where to stay or to go, except Kim Junsu who was standing quietly next to Yamaa-san.

Richardis tuned her ears to listen to Takahashi-san’s babbling again, just as he started saying: “This was probably the best night of my life, Rie-chan! I’m really glad I met you!” “I’m glad, too!” she assured him. She could see Iwasaki-san, supported by Yoko-chan heading for the exit, and others following them. “Do we already have to go?” asked Takahashi-san disappointedly. “I am afraid so,” said Rie-chan. “But you are welcome to come her again anytime!” “Really?” said Takahashi-san and leaned forward to engulf her in a hug. Richardis carefully hugged him back – not too tight as too suggest anything. He pulled away from her and said: “But you will show me out, won’t you?”

Junsu felt completely exhausted. He could have fallen asleep next to the kotatsu, but instead decided to follow Yamaa-san and Chi-chan, again arm in arm, exiting the private party room. He flipped some left over confetti from his jacket in the hallway and absentmindedly took his coat that Coco-chan handed him. Every hostess and guest had already said goodbye, but Takahashi-san was still talking to Rie-chan. Junsu saw him hand his calling card to the hostess and her bowing gratefully.

He turned his head away from the sight. Takahashi-san might plan on returning, but he sure as hell wasn’t. Never again was he going to pay for this kind of fake niceness or in – Rie-chan’s case – … huh, he didn’t even know what to call his experience with her. He decided that he would simply keep himself busy in the coming days and forget about the evening spent at the Shiroryuu.

As he tried very hard to think about anything but the sight of Rie-chan wearing the glittering Karaoke Queen crown, he saw the automatic doors to the reception room part and a young woman come in. Something was odd about her thought Junsu, but he couldn’t pin point what it was. Oh right, she was carrying a microphone. Why was she carrying a microphone? Now the young woman was scanning the crowd and then she spotted him. Behind her a camera team appeared.

 

“Thank you very much!” said Rie-chan and took Takashi-san’s calling card. The night hadn’t been so bad after all – she just might have managed to get a shimei customer on her very first time at work! She gleamed around at the other hostesses, to see if they approved, but when she looked up, everyone was staring at the entrance door. She turned her head to see why and saw a reporter and camera team standing in the door way.

For a moment she wasn’t sure if they were supposed to be there or not. Then havoc broke out around her and it became clear that they weren’t! “Everyone out!” shouted Chi-chan and every hostess and guest in the entrance hall either ran for the main exit door past the camera team or through one of the ‘staff only’ doors – all trying to shield their faces from the cameras. Takahashi-san looked at Richardis with big eyes, completely frozen in action. Richardis – sure she was supposed to vanish as well – told him “I gotta go!” and ran after Chi-chan, who had stayed behind covering her face, making sure everyone was gone.

When they squeezed past the camera team with their faces covered, Richardis risked one more glance behind herself and caught a glimpse of Kim Junsu being dragged out of sight by Yamaa-san. No doubt the news team was here because of the Korean singer. But how had they found out that he was here?

Richardis and Chi-chan arrived in front of elevator slightly out of breath and Chi-chan began hitting the button calling for the elevator. They had to wait because someone was still going down with the elevator, so they both looked back: The automatic doors at the end of the corridor were still open and now the camera team was being denied further entrance by Hata-san and another doorman. The news lady was arguing with them, but then the Mama-san arrived and threatened to call the police, so the news crew gave up. They must have had recorded a fair amount of footage nevertheless. Richardis hoped strongly, that she wasn’t on it.

The Japanese media had him on tape in a hostess club. Junsu couldn’t really believe it. He stood their dumbfounded, while people were running and shouting around him. Next to him Takahashi-san didn’t seem to know what to do either – the junior Pearl Station employee just stared after Rie-chan, who had fled the scene already and was heading for the elevator.

It was so surreal. Why was he in a hostess club? He didn’t belong here! He hadn’t even wanted to come here! He was going to be all over the gossip news. He should just explain it to the news reporter right now! Explain that it was all one big mistake, but it really hadn’t happened on his initiative! He had just bowed his head to social convention!

Before he could begin to act, Yamaa-san shook him out of his stupor: “Kim-san! Get out of here! Don’t say a word to the news reporter!” Slightly abrasively he felt his arm being pulled by his manager towards one of the ‘staff only’ doors and his feet follow. Yamaa-san pulled him further through a smaller corridor, until they ran into Yumi-chan. Yamaa-san and Yumi-chan talked very fast and nervously and Junsu - feeling too drained of energy to pay attention – just stood next to them feeling numb.

Yamaa-san and Yumi-chan came to some sort of agreement and Yumi-chan vanished. “We can’t exit through the front door, so the owner of the Shiroryuu will be getting us out of here some other way,” said Yamaa-san, wiping sweat of his forehead. “Kim-san, I don’t even know what happened there. It just doesn’t make any sense! Are you okay?” Junsu looked up at him. “I… I don’t know.”

At this moment a tall man in his mid-thirties came into the corridor and hastily introduced himself: “My name is Choi Sungrok. I am the owner of the Shiroryuu. Please follow me. I apologize dearly for this situation and will be taking you home in my private limo. It’s garage faces the streets on the opposite side of the building, so the media won’t know it’s you leaving the building.” Yamaa-san nodded at Junsu and the two followed the host club owner out of the corridor, away from the room where they could hear the news team arguing with the doormen.


1 Chibi = a cute simplified manga figure, usually with oversized head, something like this:

          

Thank you to everyone who has read this far! It’s been lots of fun writing this story and there’ll be plenty more chapters if you are up for reading it! What are you making of the developments? Do you have a suspect as to who called the news crew to the hostess club? :D