Sometimes I Cannot Stay Away From You

Manazashi, Sayonara.

“Airi-chan, I’m back,” I said to her as I walked into her hospital room. It’s been three days since the accident. I was neatly dressed in my Scrubs outfit, with my pager attached to my shirt pocket.

 

“Oh, ohayo, Akane-chan. You work here now?”

 

“Un. I work at the Cardiology ward, as a Cardiothoracic Surgeon.”

 

“I’m sorry for what I said three days ago… I guess the staff told you I’m a suicidal person...”

 

“Why? Why are you trying to kill yourself everyday?”

 

“I can’t tell you! I can never trust anyone again! Too many people have betrayed me! I cannot take it anymore! Ah, itai!” She started to yell at me, before grimacing in pain.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

“Stay away from me!” she said before pushing me away. “I’ll take the painkillers… Just leave me alone.”

 

“Gomen...”

 

I left her room, wiping away a tear that dared to fall down my cheek.

 

What caused her so much pain?

 

Nothing can stop my curiosity, I ignored the beeps that were coming from my pager for a minute, before taking a look and rushing back towards her room. Sweat was pouring off my face, my breathing becoming rough.

 

“Stay away from me!” Her voice screamed in my head. I can’t take it, whenever I see people in pain…

 

As I rushed to the door of her room, screams and bangs could be heard….

 

“Furukawa-san, stop!!!” One of the nurses yelled, “If you don’t someone will get hurt!”

 

“No! Please, I just want to move on from this world!”

 

As I opened the door, I glanced at Airi, the nurse and back to Airi.

 

“Airi-chan, this will get you nowhere!” I ran towards her, trying to grab the knife off her hand, “If you want, take it out on me. I was the one who caused all this.”

 

“No, Akane-chan. I just want to die freely! No more worries, no more pain!”

 

We were both fighting for the knife unaware of the dangers. By the time I had gotten the knife off her, I felt a searing pain on my lower abdomen and liquid trickling down my body.

 

“Akane-chan!” She saw me lying on the floor, withering in physical pain. Whilst she was withering in emotional pain, “Akane-chan please wake up! Please! I’m sorry….”

 

“W-When I g-get better, I-I want to k-know why y-your like this- Itai yo!” I had to cut myself off because of the pain, it was too… Excruciating to bare right now…

 

“AKANE, NO!!!”

 

Then, everything turned dark...

 

By the time I regained consciousness, I was in a different room, where Airi was not present. The nurse told me she was taken all the way to a mental hospital where I couldn’t visit her until she was released.

 

Now I had to wait longer than ever… just to see her.