That One Fateful Night

Manazashi, Sayonara.

It all started this one night because I was so stressed and worried….

Flashback

I had a really busy day at school. Not to mention medical school. Exams, coursework, everything that has to do with medicine and school. 

My friends Watanabe Miyuki and Yamada Nana were trying to calm me down.  Sadly, they didn’t have the same ambition as I did.  Miyuki was attending a really famous business school whilst Nana was attending a law school. So we were all really busy.

“Churi-tan, calm down, there’s nothing to worry about,” Miyuki attempted to calm me down but to no avail. 

“Calm down? Me? Seriously? I have to perform dissections tomorrow, hand in essays, listen to boring lectures and so much more! You seriously think I can calm down right now?”

“Churi, Milky’s right. We’re all stressed out. I have 3 mock trials to do, Miyuki has to bring in five business proposals, two of which are late. I can’t remind you every single time, Milky. Don’t worry, Churi.”

“Gomen, Nana. I know I shouldn’t be like this but I can’t help it.”

“Gomen, Nana-chan.”

End Flashback


Now I’m here walking down the dark, empty streets alone without anyone to comfort me.

“No one seems to care about me. Not even Nana or Milky can understand my feelings right now….” I thought, seemingly upset, “There’s no point in living now….”

I crossed the road, not caring if a car comes, crushing me in the process.

I saw two headlights coming towards me...

“Watch out!”

I felt pressure on my back as I was pushed to the side, watching a helpless shadow get run over by a speeding car.

“Ugh~”

I rushed to where the body of an innocent girl lay. Her body, shriveled and frail….

“Daijoubu ka?”

“Hai, arigatou. F-Furukawa Airi desu… May I know your name?”

“Takayanagi Akane desu, let me help you, Airi-san.”

“N-No, it’s fine, Akane-chan… I deserve this for what I’ve done...”

“Eh?! No, I can’t leave you like this… This is my doing, please let me help you!”

I picked the girl up in my arms and ran as fast as I could to the nearest hospital. I couldn’t just leave her there to die…

“SOMEONE!!! HELP THIS GIRL!!! SHE GOT HIT BY A CAR!!!!”

I could see her blink in and out of unconsciousness, worried sick for her sake. Doctors flooded the place.

“Umm, Airi again…. This is quite troublesome for her...”

“Eh?”

“She’s always feeling suicidal. No-one knows why...”

“Naruhodo...”

“Ah, you’re Takayanagi Akane-chan aren’t you? You’re studying at Nagoya National Medical Institute, correct?”

“Hai~ Nani?”

“Well, we needed more staff here...Specifically Cardiothroacic Surgeons, we were wondering if you were on your last year of training.”

“Eh? I am. Just wondering, how much do I get payed annually?” 

“Annually? 28,000 yen to 40,000 yen. Do you want to start tonight?”

“Uh, sure?”

Now, everytime I see Airi, my heart flutters too many times to comprehend….