Chapter 06

april.#20

hon·or·if·ic (ˌɒn əˈrɪf ɪk)

He shadowed over his current piece with a dissatisfied frown. When he started the composition, it literally sounded like death was approaching his doorstep. He didn’t trash that one. In fact, he kept it as a future reference if he ever wanted to create something like that in the future before he died. But, it was clearly unfitting for his healthy being (according to his doctor from his check-up last week), and he was not on the verge of dying in any way à la Mozart or Beethoven. If his mother ever got a hold of the piece, or possibly even hear of it, she would most likely pop a cap and go berserk on him. It was better to keep those sheets of paper stashed away where the light won’t hit.

So, he started something that was a lot happier in sound. However, it was just as disappointing. Without a doubt it was an upbeat work. It began with a moderate tempo, nothing fast. In fact, it would slow down just a bit before resuming its normal pace. And then he would speed up, playing at allegro to the end. His right hand barely shifted from the higher notes of the keyboard, and yet it still sounded off. He was never going to get it right.

“Yah, Chae Soo Kyung. You’ve been at it for practically the whole day. Have you even eaten yet?”

He looked over to the intruder of his house with nothing but a dead tired expression, “No, and I’m clearly struggling right now. Save me, hyung!” He latched on to the other male at the waist with a whine.

It was kind of weird for him at times like these. He was naturally an affectionate person, being poured with it as the youngest child, but he had to admit that he looked a bit older with long hair, slightly more mature than his actual age. But, he didn’t like the thought of parting from his long locks. Either way, the hair made him look older than the actual older one.

It’s slightly irritating.

“So, how’s the piece coming along?”

He grimaced, “Progress is dismal, which is not good considering this for our year end.” He pushed himself closer to the keyboard, “Do you want to hear what I’ve got?”

Myung Soo really didn’t tell anyone else, but he held a fascination with Soo Kyung’s playing. Or more specifically, he held a fascination with the expressions that came to his face when he played. The younger male was expressive, don’t get him wrong, but he was one to hide his feelings behind a façade of outgoing cheer. It was different when he was playing.

He’s a lot more... carefree, Myung Soo thought, lacking a better word to describe him.

It’s like the whole world would fade and the only things that exist were the sheets on the stand, the piano, and himself. That was it. Everything else would cease to exist when his fingers pressed down on ivory and ebony keys, creating music that enraptured the listener into the story it was telling through its notes. He always felt like a sappy romantic thinking those thoughts, but they weren’t hard to admit to because Chae Soo Kyung was the female student epitome of your kind-hearted senior with musical skills that would easily woo your heart. It was like a cheesy drama stereotype that he usually mocked.

“You’re thinking awfully hard there, hyung. Are you tired or something?”

He paused his thoughts, looking at his long haired, smiling, albeit weary, counterpart, “Are you going to keep calling me hyung? I thought we would be on first name basis by now.”

Soo Kyung stopped pressing the keys, “Do you want me to call you by your name?”

Myung Soo never looked away, “Sure.”

A title, phrase, or grammatical form conveying respect, used especially when addressing a social superior.

Chapter 06: (say my) name.


A/N: I haven’t even noticed that I haven’t updated this drabble story in a while. I’m so sorry [bows continuously]. To make it up, I’ve been on a spree writing this, so have fun with a multi-update.