part 8 [complications]

Artificial Happiness

Kyungsoo's face is cold as stone, but his heart beats with hope as Kris sets Suho down softly on the counter.

"Well, this is certainly a first." The doll maker grimaces, his hand touching Suho's cold, small one.

"I'm sorry." Kris whispers, looking afraid to look him in the eye.

"What are you apologizing for?" Kyungsoo shoots him a small, believable smile. "I never said it was required of you to fall for him."

"But it was expected." Kris protests, clenching his fists at his sides.

Kyungsoo could see that the taller male felt guilty. Suho did not seem as if he wished to return to the land of the living, so he sets him beside Kai, deciding that he will destroy the DOLL later and return his happy wisp back to his heart.

"Yes," Kyungsoo hums and pats off dust on his pants. "but it is not your fault. Would you like a full refund?"

"I'm in love with you." Kris blurts out, wincing at Kyungsoo's startled expression.

'You gave all you had, and now I am whole.'

"I beg your pardon?"

"I can't fall for Suho, because I fell for you." Kris looks so sincere that the doll maker feels his heart slam against his rib cage.

"Please don't say things you don't mean, you don't even know me!" Kyungsoo seethes, looking away from him.

"You told me your favorite color is purple, you enjoy sunsets," Kris looks hopeful as he walks near him, the counter separating them. "and your favorite food is spaghetti covered in small pieces of bread."

"What makes you think I wasn't lying?" Kyungsoo laughs bitterly, clearly knowing those were indeed true, once upon a time ago.

"What would your gain be to lie to me?" Kris asks, looking a second away from jumping the counter and pulling him into his arms.

"For you to leave me alone, to stop speaking at least." Kyungsoo grits his teeth, blinking the tears away and moves out from behind the counter to head towards the door to hopefully show the handsome blonde that he wanted him out.

"You don't mean that."

"I speak from the bottom of my heart." He snaps and stares at him with a look of anger.

"And I speak from the bottom of my heart as I say I truly love you." Kris smiles and reaches out his hand.

Kyungsoo closes his eyes and looks away, trying to still his thundering heart. He quivers as he feels his mask slowly slip off, and he knows that Kris is watching. Happiness hits him like a brick at the thought of another loving him, but he knows it will be short lived at the look of horror on Kris's face when his mask falls to the floor with an audible thud. Kyungsoo believes that it is the sound of his heart finally breaking.

"What is this?" Kris whispers, staring at his sickly face.

"The truth." Kyungsoo's lips twist in a bitter smile.

Kris slowly walks up to him and picks up the mask, open mouthed as he stares in confusion.

"All of you've seen is a lie. I'm just a small, broken man. You don't love me. You love the mask." Kyungsoo watches as multiple emotions color Kris's face.

"Oh my god." Kris covers his mouth in horror and flings the mask away, watching it break as it collides with the ground.

Kyungsoo breathes in deeply as the wisps fly out of the pieces and back into his chest. He looks as Kris shakes his head repeatedly and steps away from him, his back hitting the counter.

"All this time, it was a lie." Kris's face distorts with anger.

"I warned you to stay away." He says softly.

Kyungsoo does not look phased as Kris seethes with betrayal and rage. He watches as the tall male clenches his fist and the veins of his neck become prominent. He feels a lump in his throat when Kris turns away from him and looks at the shelf where Kai and Suho lay. The doll maker almost believes that he would destroy Suho before he unexpectedly grabs Kai by the neck and storms past Kyungsoo without a word. His eyes are wide as he realizes what just happened.

Kris accidentally took Kai instead of Suho.

Kris had Kai.

"Kai is gone."

Kyungsoo gasps out and yanks the door open, looking panicked as he looks both ways, not seeing any hint of Kris. He ignores the judging looks as he frantically searches for Kris, but finds himself empty handed. He returns to the shop with a heavy heart, twisting the sign to 'closed' and pressing his back to the door as he slides down. Kyungsoo isn't so sure who he cried for as he sat on the floor.

But he did know that his heart began to beat for a new love.

'I said something wrong, now I long for yesterday.'