part 10 [denial]

Artificial Happiness

And in the end, the love you take
 

Kris refused to believe that the love of his life is dying. He out right denied it. Kyungsoo is healthy and fine, he is not dying.

But it is the truth.

"No." Kris croaked out, the voice of a thousand broken hearts tumbling out of his mouth.

"I'm sorry, but it is better that you find it out from me than from Kyungsoo's tombstone." Kai's face hardens, clenching his fist in his lap.

Kris could only bitterly chuckle. Of course Kyungsoo wouldn't tell him anything until he'd be right on his death bed. Would Kyungsoo have ever told him that he is dying to begin with? Or would he run away, and disappear to wilt into dust on his own. Kris's chest clenched at the idea of never knowing what happened to his beloved if he up and left. It would have left him in pieces. He sighs, all the energy in his body feeling drained. His shoulders hunch and he runs his hands through his blond hair.

"What are you going to do?" Kai looks at him, head tilted in curiosity.

"What can I do?" Kris grits his teeth. "Kyungsoo has been pushing me away."

"So push him back." Kai snaps, getting up and glaring.

"How?" Kris gets up too, reminding the DOLL how much larger the human is.

"Grab him." Kai says breathlessly, reaching up and grabbing Kris by the collar. "Remind him, remind him of a love that he'll remember for centuries, even while his body rots beneath the ground."

Kris's eyes widen as he stares down at the DOLL in shock, "How do I remind him? I've already told him I loved him."

"Like this." Kai's eyes brighten as he grabs Kris by the back of his neck and crashes their lips together.

Kris chokes, leaning over in shock as the warm lips connect with his. He stays frozen for a couple of seconds before crashing back into his chair and harshly wiping his mouth. He looks up at the DOLL with distaste and shock, not knowing what to say.

"You didn't want that kiss, but it's something you'll remember for a long time, hm?" Kai hums and winks.

He splutters, stuck between punching him in the face or having a panic attack. But before he could utter a complaint, Kai returns to his dormant state in the blink of an eye. Kris in a sharp breath as he drags his hand down his face in frustration and disbelief. He feels anger boil through his veins at what Kai just did.

"You kiss me with the most horrible of explanations and just turn back?" Kris growls and grabs the DOLL by the neck.

He repeatedly shakes it, hoping that Kai would return back into his human form. He scowls, feeling his rage burn in his chest and his face would remind someone of a fire breathing dragon. He lets out a noise of complete and utter desperation as he throws Kai with new found strength at the wall of his office room. He chokes as Kai crumbles into pieces, his porcelain body too old to withstand the impact. Kris panics as he trips over his long legs to get to the pile of what was once Kai.

"No, no, no." Kris attempts at putting him back together, and gasps as the pieces softly glow.

Small wisps escape the broken porcelain, floating through the air and disappearing out the door. He gets up and quickly and chases after them, looking at them squeezing through the cracks of his front door. Kris could only stop and look in despair as he figures out where the wisps head to.

Kyungsoo is going to hate him from now and to his death bed, not love him.

The said doll maker grumbles in his bed as a massive headache hits him like a brick. Still tipsy from drinking the bottles of vodka hours ago, he gets up sluggishly and rubs his temples. He had believed that the hangover was supposed to come the morning after a night of drinking and not a couple of hours, but it didn't look like Kyungsoo would be returning to slumber anytime soon either. He had been forced into the small nap, after repeatedly losing his breath from coughing. He slowly makes his way to the bathroom, scavenging for aspirin behind his cracked mirror. He vaguely remembers throwing an empty bottle at it, realizing that if he wouldn't do it with his bare hands, he could use other measures.

He hums when he finds the bottle, sighing in relief to see that it wasn't empty. He downs two pills and turns on the faucet to gather water into his palm. He takes a large gulp and grumbles when the relief isn't instant. Damn lying aspirin. His eyes widen as whispers fill his mind, voices of happy memories once forgotten. It could only mean one thing:

"My wisps." He whispers as the familiar, blue entities fly through his bathroom door and shoot straight into his heart.

He wheezes and takes a step back, gripping his chest as happiness fills his mind for a brief moment and happy memories flash across his vision. He blinks back tears, pushing the voice of his mother to the back of his mind as he shakily looks at his broken appearance through the cracked glass. The wisps could only mean one thing and he feels dread fill through his chest as fast as the happiness did.

"Kai." He rasps, misery chilling his bones.

Kai is gone. Permanently.

For the first time in years, Kyungsoo feels fury escape through every pore of his body as his hands ache for the need to kill and search for what was left of Kai. Kyungsoo was going to die, yes, but Kris would join him in a grave right next to his.

 

Is equal to the love you make