part 13 [jongin]

Artificial Happiness

'I'm so tired, I haven't slept a wink'
Kyungsoo sighs loudly as he slides down the wall and to the floor. It had took him hours to calm Jongin. He winces as he remembers the crocodile tears that ran down the DOLL's face when Kyungsoo told him he had no clue where Kris is. Despite not meeting the tall man, Jongin held him close to his heart as a child would to a parent, hence why Kris is called 'father.' Well, now he calls him 'father-mother' since Kris took both parental roles in his mind. Kyungsoo is just the Creator (probably uncle or something of that equivalent). Kyungsoo debated in forcing Jongin to go dormant and replace his love wisps with those of happiness.

'I'm so tired, my mind is on the blink'

But he was scared that Jongin would not turn out the same as he is now. Kyungsoo had given Kai his happiness, and look what happened. He sighs loudly once more and rubs his face in exhaustion. He pays no attention to the warm, brown eyes that stare at him with amusement and borderline impatience. The doll maker huffs as the DOLL loudly munches on an apple.

"When will I get to see Father-Mother?" Jongin asked after a moment of silence.

"Once I find him, Jongin, like I promised." Kyungsoo scowls.

"Then what are you waiting for? There is still light outside!" Jongin's lip quivers as he points outside.

Kyungsoo could openly see how different he is from Kai. Kai would never pout or throw a fit (excluding the episode that ruined their relationship) when something did not go his way. Or when he was impatient. Kyungsoo is not sure if he likes this new personality. But Jongin is Jongin, and Kai is Kai. They may look the same, but they are two, different, artificial people. He feels his lips quirk upwards as he looks up at the familiar yet unfamiliar male stare down at him. Jongin is meant to be his companion, yet it would seem that Jongin wished to be with Kris more. It is not jealousy that strikes at his heart, he thinks, but rather territorial at the fact he had to share his newfound love with another. But he held no ill feelings towards Jongin, he didn't have the heart to.

He blinks in surprise as the apple core smacks him right between the eyes. He squints up at the perpetrator and rolls his eyes at the victorious grin that shines brighter than the sun outside. He secretly wonders if Jongin's mentality is that of a five year old, but he suspects, in amusement, maybe seven because of his vocabulary.

He scowls when the stem of the apple is thrown too.

"Two." Kyungsoo grumbles.

"What?" Jongin tilts his head in confusion.

"Your age mentality." He snaps and gets up to his feet, throwing the apple core into the nearest trash can.

He ignores what sounds like a 'what a mean, small troll' coming from Jongin's lips as he walks from behind the counter and to the door.

"Can't I search tomorrow?" He groans. "I haven't slept in days."

"No. Father-Mother is important to the both of us, you must find him."

Kyungsoo glowers at the command but does not answer.

"I haven't stepped out of this shop in weeks, maybe months. I've lost count." Kyungsoo inhales deeply. "I don't know where to start looking."

"Follow your heart." Jongin's voice is suddenly against his neck and it makes the doll maker freeze.

"Your power benefits you as well, don't forget that." Jongin reaches out and intertwines their hands as he holds him from behind. "It is not fully a sacrifice, no matter what you think."

"Could you...?" Kyungsoo sets his mouth in a straight, thin line.

The warmth from Jongin's body most definitely feels foreign and he's not sure if he truly enjoys it.

"You can use me to find him, just feel." The gentle DOLL whispers softly.

"I'm not sure what you mean." Kyungsoo says flatly.

"There are four layers of your magical heart. Anger, sorrow, happiness and love. People would categorize love and happiness together, but then that logic could also be applied to sorrow and anger which is why love is the very last layer to reach. Your hand pushed past the barriers of the other three to retrieve a part of your love to create me because it grew ten times in size than ever before. It steadily balanced what had been killing you for the past five years. Has it prolonged your life? We cannot know for sure but time will tell. But what we do know is that Kris is the reason why that love has grown in size, and the amount of wisps in your body has increased. Without Kris, you'd be dead by now, laying in a lonely grave remembered by no one. Not even your own parents would know if their only son was alive or not. So think about and feel the man that has barged into your life and saved it."

Kyungsoo is breathless after Jongin's speech, feeling the wind sweep through his lungs with ferocity. The fact that Jongin is absolutely correct floored him. Kyungsoo is starting to wonder what else Jongin had received from him in those pink wisps. But Jongin didn't seem like he'd be telling him anytime soon. He shuts his eyes and finds comfort in the darkness that fills his vision.

"Kyungsoo." Jongin hisses and he snaps his eyes wide open.

His gapes at the pink string that extends of his chest and reaches down to the floor. It leads out the door and to the street, almost as if someone had dropped a ball of yarn. The DOLL slowly lets him go and pushes him forward.

"Go, bring him home." 

It's time to make this story end. Time to close the book to this story.