part 14 [soulmates]

Artificial Happiness

To say that Kris is shocked at the string coming out of his chest is an understatement. He frowns, pulling and tugging to see if it were real.

It is.

He blinks repeatedly, wondering if he drank too much. Come to think of it, he had not even drank today. He runs a shaky, pale hand through his stringy hair and sighs. Kris rubs his eyes tenderly and looks back down at his chest.

Still there.

He bites his lip nervously and decides to shower, wanting to steadily ignore the pink whatever it is. He quickly undresses and turns on the shower head once reaching the bathroom. His eyebrows furrow when he doesn't feel the string move or yank when he takes off his shirt. It lays dormant and straight down as he stares down at his chest. Not even the water deters it. He idly stares at the path it leads on the floor out the shower as he washes himself.

Deciding that he had nothing to lose, he plans on following it; to see where it goes.

He quickly gets out and wraps a towel around his waist, searching for clean clothes. He shrugs at the mirror he passes, deciding that his eye bags don't look so bad. Kris lets out a shaky breath as he puts on his shoes and walks out the door.

"Let's see where the yellow brick road takes us." He murmurs and follows the path of the string.

Kyungsoo moves swiftly through the walking civilians, paying them no mind as they look disgruntled at his abrupt pace. He had to find Kris and fast. He pushes away any feeling that makes him want to cower and run back into his shop. He hated going outside if it didn't mean getting groceries or any other necessities.

But Kris did technically count as a necessity.

He feels his chest constrict at the pace of his walking as his legs grew tired. Kyungsoo huffs, how far did Kris even live? He looks down and watches people walk on the string, not knowing of its existence. His lips twitch into a smile when the string remains unhindered and undamaged. That is definitely a good sign.

Kris tried not to panic when he saw multiple people step onto the string. He expected a painful tug but is met with nothing. He takes a peek to see it perfectly okay. Strangely sighing in relief, he continues his journey to find what is at the other end of the pink string.

He continuously apologizes as he bumps into people, a blush dusting his cheeks in embarrassment. He becomes annoyed then, when it seems as if the string goes on forever and ever. As if someone had rolled a large amount of yarn down the street. He tries not to tug at it, almost as if to pull whatever it was towards him. But it would most likely land him in a mental institution if people saw him pulling on something that is invisible to them. A flash of Kyungsoo's face fills his vision and he is momentarily startled. He inhales sharply as he stops and tries to push away the hope that it is Kyungsoo at the end of the string. He thinks that is absolutely absurd.

But he truly wants that to happen.

He misses Kyungsoo's smile. His laugh. His sarcastic attitude whenever Kris never stopped talking. They only knew each other in such a short period of time, and maybe its a silly crush. But Kris did not care. If he was told that he had to die in order to see Kyungsoo's face one more time, he would do it in a heartbeat. A dreamy smile lights up his face as he walks even faster, already picturing their reunion. Kyungsoo would run into his arms and give him a big kiss. Kris would laugh in delight as he swings him around, holding him close. A true happy ever after.

...I wanna mean something to somebody else...

Kyungsoo feels his heartbeat quicken when he notices that the string starts to tug at his chest and he starts running as if he were in a marathon. Kris's face fills up his thoughts and he tries to keep the grin stretching his lips at bay. A flash of images attack his vision, showing him happily reuniting with Kris in what would only be seen in a romantic movie. He knows that he is getting closer, and pushes himself to go farther. He ignores his burning knees and weak lungs to make the rest of the steps that would forever change his life.

He smiles softly as he thinks of the future he will spend with Kris. Maybe they could move far away, where the sun always shines and the ocean sparkles. They could adopt children and have Jongin babysit them whenever they wanted alone time. He wants to walk alongside Kris in front of a sunset, feeling his toes wiggle in the warm sand. He wants a happy ever after. One that he didn't think he'd ever have.

He wants Kris. He wants Kris. He wants Kris. He needs Kris.

The doll maker's lips quiver when he sees the string lead towards the left and across the street. He slowly turns his head and sees a tall figure standing in the middle of moving, animated bodies. He tries to contain the happy noise that escapes his mouth as he sees the man that he loves.

...I'm forever chasing after time...

Kris feels his legs start to ache at the long walk. He keeps his panting to a minimum as he wipes at his forehead and continues to follow after the string while dodging everyone around him. He feels a sudden happiness invade his body when the string starts to pull at his chest. Is he getting close? Despite still being weirded out by the string itself, he felt that it is taking him somewhere where he needs to be.

He sees the string start to slowly move to the left and across the street. He bites his lip nervously as he stops walking and turns to the side. He gasps as he sees familiar black hair moving slowly through the crowd. He tries not to yell out and wave frantically, and chooses to stay put until Kyungsoo notices him.

His eyes widen in delight as they make eye contact, and he stands still as a statue, not sure if his eyes were playing tricks on him. The string is no longer on the ground, now above and leading right to Kyungsoo's chest. The blond male smiles softly as he takes a step to the pavement, never looking away from the beautiful eyes and smile that captured his heart. They both stand at the edge of the sidewalk, not knowing what to do. Cars past by their vision, passing through the string as if it were air. Kris opens his mouth and slowly stretches out his hand to reach the man he loves.

Kyungsoo starts to reach out too, but not far enough for a car to hit him. Kyungsoo pants as he can't look away at the handsome man that won't leave his thoughts. He frowns and his face scrunches up in confusion as black starts to blur sight. Kris's eyes widen when he sees the pink string fade into a dull gray. Cars screech to a stop when Kris steps out into the road, ignoring the angry honks.

He screams in agony when the string snaps as Kyungsoo falls forward into the street, still reaching out for Kris.

...But everybody dies, dies...