part 11 [cold blood]

Artificial Happiness

'You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are grey'

Kyungsoo weighs the pros and cons in his mind as Kris appears in the shop with a bag of what seemed to be Kai's remains. Killing Kris at this very moment would most likely send him to jail to rot forever or until his death sentence. After the decline of the population, murder had been the highest of offenses, and meant death row, which is ironic. But killing Kris meant avenging Kai and that is perfectly okay in his mind right now.

The only reason that kept Kyungsoo from jumping over the counter and strangling the tall man to death is the look of anguish on his face. The doll maker's mouth is set in a straight line, furrowed eyebrows as he notices the red in Kris's eyes.

He had been crying.

"I didn't mean to." Kris says hoarsely, placing the bag gently on the counter.

"I hate you."

"I know." Kris blinks, unable to look him in the eye.

"Get out of my sight." Kyungsoo spats, ignoring the tightening in his heart that he knew had nothing to do with Kai's demise.

Pain flashed in Kris's eyes before he turned and headed for the door. Kyungsoo felt his lips quiver. That's it? No arguing? No declaration of how much he loves him? No begging for forgiveness? Kyungsoo felt disappointment pool in his mouth. When Kris's hand is on the door, he turns around and gives a small, bittersweet smile.

"Kai said he was sorry, and that he did love you. Even if it was not the way you wanted him to."

And Kris walks out. Perhaps, gone forever.

Kyungsoo's eyes widen and he falls to his knees, hand slapping at the bag and dragging it down to the floor with him. He shakily opens it and chuckles bitterly at the tape that Kris used to attempt putting Kai back together. It had been no use. Once Kyungsoo's happiness returned back to his body, Kai lost his life. The doll maker contemplates making a grave, but knew that the world could no longer hold anymore tombstones. He did not wish to cremate the broken porcelain, so he closed the bag and tied it securely.

He sighs softly as he tries to get up, and realizes that he can't. The realization hits him like an oncoming train and he sobs out pathetically and leans his head roughly up against the wall. Tears cloud his vision as he pushes the bag aside with his foot and he quickly wipes at the tears that fall. As he sat there, he wondered what he had even started crying about. His mind began to cloud like his vision, leaving him languid. He tries to think about his happy moments with Kai, but is rather startled when Kris's gummy smiles invades with full force. He pushes it out, trying to remember Kai's smile but it is Kris, over and over again.

Kris's voice fills his ears, speaking of puns and jokes that he used to make Kyungsoo smile whenever he visited. He tastes the remnants of hot chocolate on the tip of his tongue, recalling how Kris never stopped bringing him hot chocolate once he found out the smaller male loved it.

Kyungsoo only knew him for a short period of time but he destroyed what stability he had left of his life. Or maybe he gave him some back. Kyungsoo had been absolutely miserable, and acknowledged that Kris returned a fraction of happiness back into his body. The days that Kris had visited, Kyungsoo could tell that his eye bags began to lessen, but had returned full force the day he realized that Suho was finished and it meant the end of his friendship with Kris.

He takes in several harsh breaths, mentally unable to handle the feelings that attacked his senses as pictures of Kris filled his vision. He shuts his eyes tight, remembering the day before Suho's completion. The blond male had told Kyungsoo that he was glad to meet him, and that they were friends. He covers his mouth as Kris's voice plays on repeat, telling the doll maker that he liked his smile.

Kyungsoo did not notice that the whole entire time he had been thinking about Kris, he had been smiling.

Thoughts of Kai only brought regret and anguish. But Kris gave him hope, and gave him joy that he had not felt in years.

"I'm an idiot." Kyungsoo whispers softly as he crawls his way to the bag of Kai's remains and grabs it as he stands on two, now strong legs.

Kyungsoo puts on his work glasses and opens the bag and places Kai's pieces in sections.

He had work to do.

Kris lies on his back as he lays in bed. Soft music plays from the radio as agony runs through his veins.

'You never know, dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away
'