part 3 [kris wu]

Artificial Happiness

Kyungsoo can't help but feel miserable as the days go by. It usually takes about a week to fully make the DOLL—which he constantly tells Kris—but the tall blond comes in everyday. It’s not that he doesn’t enjoy Kris’s company, but he grew wary the more he spoke to him. Kris seemed more invested in learning about him than showing any interest in the DOLL he was making.

He is treading into dangerous waters.

Kyungsoo grimaces as he hears the bell above the door ring. He quickly ducks down to put on the mask, wincing as it latches onto his face. He exhales before quickly springing up, startling Kris on the other side of the counter.

“What were you doing down there?” Kris’s eyes light up in amusement.

“I dropped something.” Kyungsoo feels the disgusting smile stretch his lips as he shakes the screwdriver in his hand.

Kris nods before grabbing a nearby stool and sitting on it, “How are you?” He puts his cheek on his hand, studying the doll maker’s every move.

“I’m fine, currently fixing up the body.” Kyungsoo hums, hands shaking at the attention.

“Did you eat yet? Drink coffee?”

Kyungsoo tries not to sigh. He is doing it again, quickly changing the subject to his wellbeing. Whenever he remotely tried to make a conversation about the DOLL, he would be ignored.

“I usually skip breakfast.” The smaller male shrugs, attaching the left leg to the lower torso.

“That’s not healthy.” Kris frowns, furrowing his eyebrows. “Would you like me to get you something to eat? There’s a café next door.”

“It’s fine, I’m not hungry.” Kyungsoo shakes his head, and shoots him a fake smile.

His heart grows heavy when he sees the disappointment flash on Kris’s face. Kyungsoo clearly knows what he is trying to do. The tall blond clearly wishes to befriend him, but the doll maker would rather keep his distance. He is far too broken and damaged to have another person in his life. Kai could not even love him even when he was specially made to. How would someone else even be his friend?

“Did you name the DOLL yet?”

Kris’s soft voice knocks him out of thought, momentarily putting him into a coughing fit. He drops the screwdriver and hunches over, gripping his chest in pain. Kris is quick to react as he jumps out of the stool and hops over the counter to get to Kyungsoo. He repeatedly pats Kyungsoo’s back and places his hand where the doll maker grips his chest.

“Hey, are you alright?” Kris frowns and blinks momentarily when he sees Kyungsoo’s face glow blue before it disappears.

Kyungsoo takes a step back out of his reach and shakes his head. He exhales and inhales deeply, stopping the coughs.

“Sorry, my lungs aren’t the healthiest.”Kyungsoo has that smile on again, and he feels sick to his stomach.

“Do you need a glass of water or something?” The beautiful male looks at him with concern, taking a step forward and reaching out.

“I need you to stay away.” The smaller male closes his eyes and looks away.

Kris looks hurt before dropping his hand to his side. When Kyungsoo opens his eyes and sees that Kris’s smile mirrors his own.

Fake. Shameful. Disgusting.

Kyungsoo wants to rip it off his face. How dare he smile when he doesn’t feel happy?

“Don’t do that.” He blurts out, grimacing as he steps towards Kris.

“Do what?”

“Don’t smile if you’re not happy.” Kyungsoo smiles bitterly at his hypocrisy, but it was a secret that Kris should never know.

Kris momentarily looks speechless, mouth open and closing.

“I hurt your feelings, so say so.” Kyungsoo sighs and motions him out from behind the counter. He had to get back to work.

“And his name is Suho.” Kyungsoo looks up at him through his bangs.

Kris’s face softens, staring at the pieces of the DOLL scattered over the glass counter.

“Suho.” He repeats, letting the name roll off his tongue.

Kyungsoo ignores the pressure building up in his heart as Kris starts to ask more questions about the DOLL, instead of him.

“What will his hair color be? His eye color?” Kris looks on in fascination as Kyungsoo displays various faces and heads in front of him.

“Why don’t you decide?” The doll maker suggests, motioning to the pieces. “It will be your lover, not mine.”

He ignores the bitterness shooting up his spine as Kris smiles at the word ‘lover.’ Kyungsoo wondered how Kris would be as a lover. Probably perfect in every way. He snorts when Kris chooses a head with blond hair and a face with brown eyes and pink lips.

“What’s so funny?” Kris pouts and hands him the pieces.

“I originally was going to use those pieces for Suho, looks like I didn’t need your opinion.” Kyungsoo smiles, not exactly too sure if it was real or not.

“Everyone that you created DOLLs for, they were happy right?” Kris asks hesitantly, fidgeting with his large hands.

“Everyone has been satisfied.” Kyungsoo says nonchalantly, shrugging his shoulders.

“Will I fall in love?” Kris’s voice is below a whisper and the doll maker had to strain his ears to hear him.

“The DOLL is created just for you.” He smiles up at him and tries not to vomit. “You will in fall love.”

“Promise?” Kris almost resembles a child as he stares at Kyungsoo with hope.

“I promise.”

When Kris leaves an hour later, Kyungsoo yanks the mask off his face and throws it into the jar. He screams in agony when he feels his cheek become searing hot. He touches it and pulls away to see blood on his fingertips. He looks towards the jar to see his blood coating the inside of it. He scowls and grabs a tissue, dabbing at his cheek to stop the bleeding. He has a feeling that the happiness he will use to bring Suho to life will be his very last.

Dead eyes stare back at him as he stands in front of the bathroom mirror that night.

“Tick tock goes the clock,” He hums. “my time is running out.”