04. A cup of tea for my soul

Let's stop to live for a second

Waking up to the sound of my alarm clock wasn't the greatest way to wake up in the vocation.

But my mood was still miserable, so the clock didn't even bother me.

I sat on my bed, staring holes into the air and thought about how much I didn't want to go to work. If I would not have to work, I would be already in front of Taehyung's home and begging on my knees, that he should forgive me. If I ever had a serious dispute with him? Only the little ones where you don't have the same opinion over a topic or the ones where you steal the other ones toy as a child, but never one where you hurt the opposite there feelings.

I don't even know how to handle a fight with a friend. I never fought with either my best friends nor my girl friends. I always try to please the people and be neutral. I rage behind there back for myself. So I don't have a clue how to approach him and I mostly cannot tell if he even wants to see me. How much time do I have to give him to think over? Do you buy anything?

Seriously I don't even wanna tell Hoseok about it, because he is very sensitive when it comes to us. He is the mother of our little group and would give me a roasting, but I think I have to go through it since I ed up.

Hearing a 30 minutes lecture about how actions and words can hurt someone is more tolerable, then your best friend hating on you.

I sighed, still got some time till work time. I had the afternoons shift from 4 pm till 10 pm. Normally I work around 4 hours twice a week, but since I got vocation I got the chance to earn some extra money for working several more days and longer shifts.

To clear my thoughts I took a long shower and made myself breakfast, while being in the kitchen I noticed the little yellow post it notice on the fridge. Mom wrote, “Sorry to read it, Minhae. But let me say you, that the true and long friendship you got will survive it. But you have to make the first move to show your sincere regret. Love, Mom”.

I guessed she was right, the first move has to come from my side. I made the mistake and I have to apologise for it, but I have no intent to bother him and will wait another day. He needs time and I am working late today. Taking my purse and a little bag and went down to the supermarket to buy a few ingredients for lunch. Since I haven't cooked yesterday I wanted to cook today for my mother. She is working hard, that the flowers grow and the business is working.

Again at home I prepared everything so she only has to heat it up after work and made myself it comfortable on the couch, watching tv and napping before I was on my way to work.

 

At work I first got greeted my boss. A very friendly 28 years old woman. She is owning the cafe and helps a lot, baking the little cookies and cakes back in the kitchen. She took then her bag, patted my shoulder, leaving the responsibility towards the baker, who is her boyfriend. The whole cafe had a light vintage, home flare which I loved. Beside me 4 other people work here. A baker, my boss which I an all-rounder and two barristers. A male student earning a bit money here in a part-time job like me, working around 4 times a week here and a young woman working full time.

I like my co-workers. They are all very gentle, beside the male barrister, everyone is talkative.

Minhae-yah, how was your holiday in the countryside?”, ask Soyeon.

Soyeon is the full time barrister, 24 years young and working since she is 21 here in the cafe. A very bubbly person, but she is a bit creepily, when it comes to customers. Whenever we talk to each other with costumers around, she can guess on the behaviour of a guest what this person intention is. Either studying, on a date, meeting friends and if they have something behind there backs. An example, ones where a couple here. She seemed very happy and I would have said he was also very happy in the relationship. But Soyeon pocked my shoulder and whispered, “He is going to break up with her. Watch it.” And so did he. He broke up and left her crying in the corner of the cafe. Soyeon went there with a little cake and tissues, sitting there and talking. She didn't knew her, but helped her anyway. I like her from all co-workers the most.

I smiled, “It was nice. Great weather, a lot nature. Like always, but I am happy to be in the city again.” She nodded, smiling as well and dried a coffee mug with the dish towel.

The cafe was semi full, but we all knew that around 5 and 6 pm the most people come over, drinking an after work coffee or relaxing before working the night shift. I went back towards the kitchen, greeting the baker and second chef Minsoo, bringing my stuff to the staff room.

Back in front of the counter I grabbed after a dish towel and rag to clean the tables.

Woah, Minhae slow down. I know how a workaholic you are, but you just came here after 2 weeks vocation. Take things slow, you have enough time to do it today, since you work longer”, Soyeon stopped me. She was right. I even came around 10 minutes to early for work, so I should really start things slow. I put the towel and rag back to there place, “Good girl”.

I didn't know what to do, because I never stood at work without doing anything, I started to play with my hands. “Oh Minhae-yah, you truly are a workaholic. Put your hands on the counter and wait till I say you can work”.

Soyeon eonnie... I don't thi-”

Hands on the counter! I try to give you a therapy! You are young and don't have to work your off right away!

I slowly place my hands flat on the counter, standing like a punished kid ready to get beaten on the fingers. At this moment Minsoo came from the kitchen with a plate of fresh cookies, placing the plate in the cake and cookie counter. He saw me, “Oh ~ someone got punished?

I GET IT!”, I said with a louder tone, but not annoyed, more amused.

Both, Minsoo and Soyeon, started to laugh. Minsoo stood beside me with the empty plate and oven mitts, “Take things slow. You are the next 8 hours here, Min”, going back to the kitchen.

Soyeon continued to dry the dishes and placed them in the shelf. “I am lucky, that you are back. The last two weeks I had to work with the quiet one. He is no fun to talk. One word replies”.

Mhm”, I only said.

I know what you are trying to do!

Really?

Minhae-yah!

Yes?

She lightly hit my shoulder, laughing. After 20 minutes into my official work begin she started to let me off and give my workaholic personality stimulation.

Making my way through the cafe and slowly cleaning the tables. Humming a tune for myself.

Work continued like this and after 4 hours I started to watch the clock whatsoever asking why time is so slow suddenly. Gladly the past hours where the (how we call it) 'Rush hour time'. People one after another come and order – either leave or stay a bit and our little cafe gets fuller and fuller.

But now the rush hour ended, I slowly start to get bored. I already cleaned every table, cup, re-filled the coffee machines and so on. I leaned over the counter. What I hate mostly to have nothing to do it, that then I got time to think about anything and since I hurt Taehyung, my mind and thought are full about it. Thinking of how I can apologize.

When I was about to get insane, Soyeon suggested me to take my half hour break.

I nodded thought, that it would be the best if I did and went into the kitchen towards the staff room, searching after my phone. I looked if I got any messages. Only a message of Hobi asking if work is doing well. I sighed, he said that he needs some time, I should have thought there will be no message. I went back to the kitchen grabbing after a water bottle, sat on the kitchen counter and sipped on the beverage.

Mhm something is bothering you. Nothing good. Take a cookie and say what is”, Minsoo walked around, cleaning the kitchen slowly and saw me with a droopy mood. He grabbed after the plate with the newest cookie, holding one in front of my nose.

I stared at the cookie, slowly grabbing after it, nibbing at the edge. Minsoo meanwhile walked with the fresh cookies outside to the counter and came back with an empty plate.

Since you started to eat a cookie, now tell me what is going on

I made a friend sad. Or mad. I don't know. I cannot tell. He said I don't trust him with serious topics and said I would only see him as the goofy one

Do you?

I shrugged my shoulder, “He is my best friend since childhood and I love him to death, but... I never actually tried to talk about serious stuff. He always seem happy, that he got no problems. Only the girlfriend problems”

But girlfriend problems are problems as well and you have to take it serious as well. It seems like you don't take him serious like he said. He wouldn't point it out if this wasn't bugging him since a while

And why didn't he speaks abo-

With you? Didn't you said you never talked about serious stuff with him? Why does he has to make the move? He waited for you to come and talk to him and since you did not he said it when he reached his limit as a friend. Minhae... you said he is your friend since childhood. You never had a serious talk? You are at an age where it starts to talk seriously. Don't you trust him?

More then anyone... but I never spoke alone with him. Our other best friend is always with us when I talk seriously, but he never gives me advices or helps me out”

How do you know it? Maybe he does everything in the background?

I slowly ate my cookie. Thinking about every word Minsoo said and felt how my heart dropped. He is right, I am the bad one in this story.

And... and how to I apologize?

With sincere. How you do it... it depends on the person. You know him the best

With these words I started to think. And with every new idea that came up it got more romantic and cheesy. Drinking my water and came back to reality, when I started to here laugher and girly giggles from outside. I looked over to Minsoo and he shrugged his shoulder, not even bother to look what happened. Answering finally Hobi's message and looked at the clock which said I took a bit over half a hour break. Shaking the thoughts around Tae off and made my way to Soyeon.

Feeling better?

Yes. Why did you laughed so loud a while back?

Oooooh. You heard it? I laughed, because here was a very friendly costumer. He had a busan accent and I pointed it out, saying it was cute and he said that he heard it for the second time this week, that he got an accent. A girl said it while laying in the fontaine.”

I knitted my brows and then my eyes widened, “A BUSAN GUY?!? DID YOU ASK AFTER HIS NAME?”

Soyeon was obviously confused. “I asked... it was something with J.... J... I cannot remember. He was cute tho." I sighed frustrated.

Why do you ask?

He saved my phone!”, I face palmed, frustrated about that I missed the busan guy.

I felt down while playing at the fontaine and he was the first person I grabbed after and he gave me the tip how I can dry my phone. I did forgot to ask after his name. He saved me from buying a new one.”

Sounds like destiny.”

Sound more after bad timing!”

And with it work started to get a bit quicker. The break did a little wonder. And hour before official closing time, we started to clean the cafe so we can go home very quickly.

Half an hour before the cafe closed, someone I didn't expected came into the cafe.