Chapter 3

A Ghostly Twist

Chapter 3

 

Yoona woke up bright and early, in an attempt to evade her family…

 

All thoughts vanished when she saw her dad cooking, with her mum supervising him at his side. It was such a cute scene that she stood there, wondering if she would ever belong in such a family. 

 

Her mum turned around and saw the wistful looking girl. “Yoong, come here. Your dad is making pancakes!” Her mum clapped excitedly and her eyes were wild with happiness. Yoona grinned; her mother’s joy was infectious.

 

“Are appa's pancakes good?” Yoona teased. Her father whirled around, in mock anger. “Young girl, are you doubting my cooking skills?”

 

Yoona and her mum burst out in laughter. Her dad had pancake batter splatters on his face. The man stared at the two loves of his life, confused.

 

Yoona’s dad quickly turned around and resumed cooking. Both mother and daughter were chatting. Yoona’s dad felt glad after the gloomy years of waiting for his only daughter to awaken. 

 

Yoona’s dad served the food and dashed back up to his roomfor a change of clothes. He happened to catch a look of himself in the mirror. "Oh. So that's what they were laughing about." He chuckled at his pathetic appearace. When he appeared downstairs a second time, there were no pancakes left. Yoona giggled mischievously, "We devoured your pancakes. Delicious!"She held out a thumbs-up.

 

“Where are you going, Appa?”

 

Her dad replied, “To work. Bye Yoong, bye honey!” He left the house speedily, not wanting to be late. Yoona waved back.

 

She turned to her mum. “Umma, I want have a job of my own. I think it will be better for me to have a fresh environment.” Her mum nodded understandingly. “I understand. You're old enough and should be more exposed to the outside world. Just be careful okay?”

 

Yoona hugged her mum tightly. “I'm sure that Yoona must have loved you in the past, and I still do. Even without memories.”

 

Yoona stepped out of her house and she breathed in the cooling air. She was about to step away from the porch of her house when she saw a figure walking to her house.

 

Oh no! It was Siwon shii. Yoona bit back a pained sigh. “Annyeonghaseyo, Siwon shii.” Siwon beamed at her. “Where are you going?” Yoona felt a growing sense of dread. “Erm, I’m just going to walk around?” Yoona could not lie well and the tone of her voice showed how nervous she was.

 

“Are you sure? You don’t seem very…” Siwon trailed off his sentence.

 

“What?” Yoona snapped, her patience running low. Siwon dropped his head. “I don’t know…you just seem weirder. The Yoona I knew was very dependant on others and was a bit spoilt. She loved the attention I gave. I feel helpless. I don’t how to deal with your changes.” It was the longest thing Siwon had ever said.

 

He was a polite man, respected and awed by many. Though his family background was a mystery, he seemed well off. Girls flocked around him, liking his masculine features and his mysterious background. The girls liked that they knew nothing about him. Siwon only fixed his eyes on one person though. And that was Yoona, the heiress to the Im business.

 

Yoona may come off as a spoilt brat but after knocking her walls down, Siwon came to know her insecurities and fears. They were inseparable. Siwon proposed to her 2 months before the accident and she had accepted. Now…

 

Siwon gazed off into the distance. Yoona studied him. Siwon looked really handsome. Perhaps he was her ideal type before but now, she couldn’t think of why she would like such a naggy man.

 

Yoona sighed deeply and reached her hand out to put on Siwon’s shoulders. “Mianhae, Siwon shii. I don’t think it’s nice of me to lead you on. For now, I suggest that we take a break. I need to do some things by myself and in that period, I don’t want you to wait for me. Go and explore and do the things that you always want to do.” Yoona encouraged.

 

Siwon looked shocked. His lip trembled dangerously and Yoona knew that he might cry soon. “Is this the end? For us?” He managed to swallow the lump in his throat and said.

 

Yoona’s eyes filled up with tears-tears of regret. She didn’t want to hurt Siwon but if she let him stay by her side, he would get even more hurt.

 

She went forward and pulled the shell-shocked man into her embrace. He let out a few sobs but otherwise remained rather silent. When he pulled back, she was surprised to see a steely look in his eyes.

 

He…changed? Siwon suddenly had a somewhat maniacal glint in his eyes. Yoona was not sure but she thought she saw him smirk a little bit.

 

Yoona rubbed her bleary eyes and was befuddled when the man who had been previously been smirking turned back into his normal self. Siwon was smiling, although it was a bit strained. Perhaps Yoona was being delusional. Perhaps.

 

Siwon gave her one last longing look and left. Yoona turned the opposite direction and removed her engagement ring. She placed it in her bag. For memories, she told herself.

 

Yoona walked at the side of the road. The sounds of cars zooming by and the chattering of humans were all mixed into one noise. She walked slowly and looked up at the sky. It was a bright and sunny day. She hoped that it would be a good day and she could find a job.

 

While coming out from a café that she went into because she was really getting thirsty, she got a call from her mum.

 

“Yoong ah, are you done job hunting? I think you had better come home. It’s getting dark!” Yoona’s mum was giving her a hard time. She knew her mother was genuinely concerned but Yoona needed freedom. She craved it.

 

“Umma, it’s not even 1pm yet, how could it possibly be dark now? I’ll be back by 6 okay? I’m sure of it. I’ll call you at regular intervals so rest assured.” Yoona reassured her mum.

 

Her mum was going to argue she could tell and Yoona was getting annoyed. “What else do you want, Umma?” Due to her irritation, she kicked at what was in her way. Yoona admitted that she had a quite a temper. But it only comes out with people who mollycoddled her.

 

Without realizing, Yoona kicked the headlights of a car. And it smashed into tiny little pieces.

 

Oh me.

 

Curse words were flying in her head.

 

“Umma, I got to go. It’s really urgent. Saranghae!” She ended the call before her mum could nag some more.

 

Yoona begged the heavens that the owner was a really nice person who would be kind to her and not make her pay-

 

What in 's sake did you do to Betsy?”

 

-Maybe not.

 

A/N 

Nothing ual here.