Chapter 2

A Ghostly Twist

Chapter 2

When Yoona was discharged, she wondered briefly how she was to deal with her family. Not that she could remember them but if they were to act like her mum did, she might tear her hair out.

Yoona really did not want to be so ungrateful but because of her lack of memories, her family may as well be strangers. The troubled girl stared sadly downwards. No matter where she went, who she talked to, her amnesia was a mental scar that she would always have.

Will that scar ever be erased?

Yoona plastered a fake, bright smile on her face. 

“Annyeonhaseyo, choneun Yoona imnida.” She greeted a faceless crowd. Who could she recognize?

Ah…that lady who cried! She went towards the lady and put on a façade. “Umma! Jaljinesseyo?” She wanted to pretend, for the sake of her family, that she was alright. But she wasn’t.

Her mum cried in Yoona’s warm embrace that she had missed throughout the time her daughter had been lying motionless on the pristine bed.

The rest of the family was teary eyed but none were as loud or dramatic as her mum. Yoona briefly pondered how she had previously dealt with such an emotional mother.

  *no way. He looks too young to be a dad... Unless he banged at a young age*

A man with thinning brown hair and a strong frame approached her. “Ne?” Yoona questioned. The man gave her a sharp and long look and pulled her aside. Yoona yelped but followed after the man politely.

“You can’t fool me with that smile, Yoong. I’m your father, I know you too well. So…what happened?” The man did not beat around the bush and cut straight to the point.

Yoona gulped. Her father was a strict man, she could tell. “Appa, I didn’t want to tell the rest but since you are so sharp, I’ll just tell you that I have amnesia.” Her dad collapsed onto a chair nearby, his legs too weak to continue standing after hearing the news.

“Jinjja?” He asked, hoping against hopes that his baby girl would say no.

“Ne.” Yoona answered. She saw how disappointed and upset her dad was and went forward to give him a hug. She held him in her arms tightly.

“Blood runs thicker than water, Appa. Even though I have lost my memories, I can still make new ones right? So don’t be so worried for me.”

Her dad smiled weakly to appease his cheerful daughter. “I guess so.” He said apprehensively.

Yoona returned the smile and told her dad that she would go out and let him think by himself for a while.

Yoona went out of the room and was immediately bombarded by relatives who asked everything and anything. Yoona sighed. As much as she appreciated their concern, their worries only added to her burden and it suffocated her.

Yoona didn’t know how to explain. It was that feeling ofdonning a mask for fear of disappointing someone. It tired you more when the person is genuinely concerned about you. It so badly that tears welled up in her eyes.

Surprisingly, it was her mother who realized it. She addressed the relatives, “I’m sure Yoona is tired. Let her rest.”

The crowd dispersed like the Red Sea and Yoona sent a grateful look to her mum. 

Yoona wandered around the house, unsure where her room was, when Taengoo appeared again. Yoona smiled brightly.

 *Tae Tae has that byuntae face again*

Taengoo waved enthusiastically at Yoona. “Yoona unnie!” Taengoo seemed to beckoned Yoona to follow her into a dark corner. *dark corner to do what* Yoona squinted at her suspiciously but before she could move, she heard someone coming up the stairs. Taengoo ran away and disappeared into the darkness.

“Yah, Taengoo ah. How could you just disappear?” She called out into the darkness.

That someone who came up was Siwon.

Siwon beamed in excitement. “Yoong, I brought you your favourite snack! It’s mungbean pancake!”

Yoona gave an eye smile and murmured thanks. She had a bite of it and nearly vomited. She choked the thing down, not wanting to make Siwon feel bad. But Siwon still picked up on her feelings. 

“Is it bad? I went to your favorite stall though.” Siwon panicked and took the pancake back, sniffing it. Yoona bit back a groan and croaked. “No I think I am just tired. Thank you though, Siwon shii.”

Siwon frowned. “You are tired? Do you need medical oil? How about bringing you to a doctor? Would that be better?” Siwon’s endless questions made Yoona feel irritated. She wasn’t a baby! *she could have if she wanted to*

Yoona remained cool and breathed out. “Aniyo Siwon shii, I’m perfectly fine. Now would you please excuse me and let me rest?”

Siwon froze. “Arraso, Yoong. Annyeongikiseyo. Have a good sleep,” He said, somewhat down.

Yoona felt guilty. She shook off that feeling and climbed up to her bed, which Siwon led her to.

Yoona sighed and she brought her knees up to her chest. She pouted. What could she do? She knew that the overwhelming concern was suffocating her. I need a change in environment. She thought.

Yoona was lost in her thoughts, when an idea finally struck her. "That’s it! I should get a job and make new friends, be preoccupied with work," She exclaimed. For the first time after waking from her coma, she smiled a real, genuine smile.

 

 

 

 

 


*Annyeonhaseyo, choneun Yoona imnida.  = Hello, I am Yoona.
*Jaljinesseyo?  = How have you been doing?
*Arraso, Yoong. Annyeongikiseyo.  = Okay, Yoong. Good bye.