The Accident

Train of Memories

*10 Years Ago*

tumblr_lt6as0z5Vu1ql1l0v.gif

“Hyunnie~, Rachel’s here~,” Daehyun’s mom called from the kitchen. The boy walked into the kitchen with a frown on his face, “I told you not to call me that anymore! I’m 10 now, and Rachel will make fun of me.” Daehyun’s mom crouched down to his height, “I’m sorry sweetie, but you’re growing up a bit too fast for mom to catch up. Besides, I think Rachel would actually like your nickname.”

Before Daehyun could say his retort, a voice spoke that made him freeze.

“Annyeong Mrs. Jung,” Rachel greeted with a small bow. “Hello Rachel. Would you two like some cookies?” she asked as she stood back up. “Yes~,” Rachel cheered happily.

While Rachel was on her tip-toes watching Mrs. Jung get some cookies for them, Daehyun was still frozen. He had known Rachel since they were just babies learning to walk and talk, but it was only a few visits ago, when he noticed that he felt different when she came over. He also noticed a strange feeling when she left. A feeling of loneliness mixed with the hope that she’ll return. Although no words can completely describe it. It was just the worst feeling that he had ever experience, but the feeling when she came back for another visit was just the opposite. His heart filled with joy and happiness; the best feeling in the world.

“Dae-dae~,” Rachel said in her soft voice, as she waved her hand over his face.

Daehyun snapped out of his trance and looked at Rachel. “Huh? Oh, yeah?” he coughed up, trying to focus on her words rather than the feeling he had right now. “Cookie?” she offered, handing him a chocolate chip cookie. “Thanks,” was all he could say as he took the cookie out of her hands.

Rachel smiled, “come on Dae, let’s go to the tree!”

Before Daehyun could reply, his mom spoke up.

“Be careful. I don’t want you two to get hurt,” she said, which answered Rachel’s question for Daehyun. “Okay~,” Rachel said happily.

She wrapped her small fingers around Daehyun’s wrist and pulled him behind her as she ran outside with a cookie in her other hand.

“W-wait...l-let's just...,” Daehyun panted when Rachel finally let go. “Catch your breath?” she asked. Daehyun shook his head, “a-ani...to eat my cookie.”

Rachel rolled her eyes, then smiled as she sat down in the shade of the big oak tree. “Always... food before anything,” she thought.

After finishing his cookie, Daehyun looked up and saw Rachel smiling at him. Then she started giggling, making the boy confused.

“What?” he questioned. “You got some chocolate on your cheek!” she said laughing. “Oh?” Daehyun said as he tried to wipe it off with his sleeve “It’s-, never mind,” she said as she started to lean towards Daehyun.

He flinched back, before she could wipe the chocolate off of his face.

“A-ani, I got it,” he said nervously as he wiped the chocolate off of his face finally.

The two had so much fun hanging out with each other, that they didn’t notice Daehyun’s mom calling for them. It took Mrs. Jung herself running out to them in the backyard to get their attention.

“Rachel, your mom just called. She’d like you to go home for dinner now,” she notified.

Rachel nodded and stood up. Daehyun stood up as well, but with his head hanging low. He knew that the bad feeling that came up every time Rachel left would come again. Although this time, before passing Daehyun to go home, Rachel hugged him quickly, and ran off towards the direction of her house.

Daehyun felt his heart start to beat faster, but he didn’t know the reason why. The feeling started to come up again, but he didn’t want to feel that way anymore.

Without another word, Daehyun turned around and chased after Rachel.

“Daehyun! Daehyun! Yah, come back here! It’s dangerous!” his mother shouted, chasing behind him.

Daehyun’s mind only had one thing on it, and that was to be with Rachel. He didn’t even realize that he had ran right into the street with busy traffic. He froze in place when he saw Rachel turnaround from the other side of the street. She yelled something frantically to him, but he couldn’t hear her with all the traffic noise around him.

It was only when he felt something hard and cold knock him down when he finally heard Rachel’s voice. “Daehyun~!” she yelled. He could hear her small footsteps get closer to him, but it was cut off by his mother’s voice. “Omo! My baby~! I baby boy!” she cried.

He couldn’t see anything, but the last thing he saw before everything went pitch black was a colorful kiddie train, with a sign that gold and red colored letters. Those letters read, “Train of Memories”.

tumblr_lt6aszlPF71ql1l0v.gif