The Girl

Train of Memories

tumblr_inline_mfgkzdGUlK1qaw0bs.gif

After Youngjae and Violet settled their argument, by Violet getting bribed by Hyorin with chicken, Daehyun decided to head back home.

“Since Violet shouldn’t be saying much more, considering is full of chicken, I’ll be heading home now,” he said, then looked at Himchan, “you’re in charge of Youngjae now.”

“Fine,” Himchan groaned.

On the way home, Daehyun realized that the library was just a few blocks from his house.

“Might as well stop by to see how Rachel is doing with the clueless kid,” he thought.

He parked his car in front of the main entrance of the library and entered the library. He went to the science section of the library and saw Rachel sitting with Jongup reading. He attempted to walk quietly and scare Rachel, but his planned backfired. When he got to her, he grabbed her by her shoulders firmly, planning to hear a scream or something come out of her, but instead, she just turned around calmly.

“Hello Daehyun. Were you trying to scare me?” she asked casually.

“Um...” Daehyun said awkwardly as he let go of her and sat in the chair next to her.

Rachel smiled, “nice try, but I saw your car pull up earlier.”

Daehyun coughed and tried to look cool.

When Rachel turned her attention back to Jongup, he was fast asleep on a book.

Rachel sighed and looked at Daehyun, “cookie?” Daehyun saw that she was holding up a chocolate chip cookie; offering him to take it.

“Thanks,” he said, then taking the cookie into his own hands.

Suddenly, Daehyun froze as a weird, yet familiar feeling came up.

“Ahhh,” he grunted at the pulsating pain in his head.

“Dae? Daehyun! What’s happening?” Rachel asked frantically as she saw her friend dropping to the floor, clutching his head. “Daehyun!” she shouted again.

“I-it’s...fine,” Daehyun breathed with half opened eyes.

“Daehyun, what’s---”

“He’s having a flashback,” Jongup said suddenly, cutting off Rachel.

Jongup had woken up when he heard Rachel shouting suddenly. Rachel looked at Jongup, then back at Daehyun.

“Oh...,” she said softly, finally realizing what was happening.

She picked up Daehyun’s head and laid it on her lap. His eyes were now closed, as if he was just asleep.

“If 1 flashback hurts that much, how much did he have to go through since he lost his memory?” Rachel asked herself.

*Flashback*

Daehyun found himself standing in a small kitchen. The smell of fresh-baked cookies lingered in the air, but what caught his attention was a woman taking a batch of cookies out of the oven. She turned around, and that’s when Daehyun recognized the woman. It was his mom. She said something, but he couldn’t hear what she said. A small boy walked into the kitchen with a frown on his face, then said something to Daehyun’s mom.

“Who are you?” Daehyun asked the little boy, but of course, the boy didn’t reply.

Daehyun’s head started to throb again, signalling that his flashback was coming to an end. He quickly looked around the kitchen, searching for any clues or memories. The only thing he was able to see before everything went white, was a picture of 2 kids that was held onto the fridge by a smiley face magnet. He tried his best to memorize what the photo looked like, and made sure to ask his mom later when he got home.

*End of Flashback*

Daehyun slowly opened his eyes, but was confused when he wasn’t able to see anything. After his eyes adjusted, he noticed that the library lights were off, and only lamps at tables were on. He turned head and saw Rachel sleeping peacefully. He slowly sat up cautiously, hoping that he wouldn’t wake up Rachel. He stood up and saw Jongup sitting at the table he was previously sleeping at earlier.

“How long was I out?” Daehyun asked.

Jongup shrugged, “I’m not sure, but Rachel insisted on staying here with you until you woke up.”

Daehyun glanced at Rachel, “can you take her home? I have to go home now. I would drive her myself, but it’s urgent.”

“Sure,” Jongup simply replied.

~~~

When Daehyun arrived at his house, he ran in as fast as he could and searched for a certain photo album. He was sure that he had seen that picture of the kids somewhere before. When he found the album, he flipped through the pages uncontrollably.

“Where is it? I know it’s her!” he yelled.

“Is something wrong?” his mom asked, standing at the door after hearing her son yell.

Daehyun finally found the picture he was looking for and took it out of it’s plastic cover.

“Who is this?!” he asked loudly, holding up the picture to his mom.

Her reaction was enough to tell him that she knew something.

“Mom, please. I need to know, who is this girl? I had a flashback with you in the kitchen baking cookies, and this was on the fridge,” he explained in a more calm voice.

When his mom didn’t reply, he sighed and slid the photo back into the plastic cover. Just as he was doing so, his mother finally said something.

“You want to know who the girl is?” she asked in a serious voice.

“Yes,” he answered.

She sighed, “do you have a guess?”

Daehyun took a moment to think, then his eyes lit up, “is she Dasom?!”

His mom paused for a minute, then nodded, “yes. The girl in the photo is Dasom. You two were friends since you were kids, though, I’m sure you remember that part.”

It was true. Daehyun did remember meeting Dasom in second grade.

Before Daehyun could ask anything, his mom walked off to somewhere else, "It’s getting late, you should sleep. Especially after having a flashback. I know those hurt."

“Ok,” Daehyun replied.

After cleaning himself up, Daehyun laid down on his bed and thought about what his mom told him earlier. Dasom. If she was the girl in the photo, then wouldn’t that mean she should know something about his lost memory? Just as he was asking himself that question, he realized that he forgot to ask Rachel what was on her mind at McDonalds. He ruffled his hair in frustration.

“You seriously had to have a flashback!” he scolded himself.

On the other hand, she seemed fine at the library. She could’ve been stressing out about the exams or something. Maybe she’s fine now after studying.

~~~

That night, Daehyun couldn’t get himself to sleep. Dasom was all that was on his mind. He had been dating her for about 2 years now. She knew that he lost his memory and was trying to get it all back, yet she didn’t say anything?

He turned to his side and tried once more to fall asleep. The image of the 2 kids, which apparently was Dasom, and who he guessed, was him, couldn’t be erased from his mind. It was all that he could see before he drifted off finally into sleep.

tumblr_lsbc3l0VC71ql1l0v.gif

I saw that in the comments some asked who was the main character or what role did Dasom play. Just to clear any future questions on that, Rachel is the main character/girl. I know that Dasom doesn't get a lot of main parts here on AFF, but I'm sure after reading this chapter you can tell she's very important.

P.S.: I know the way I wrote this story is kinda weird with the skips here and there and the weird layout, but I actually wrote this story a while back when I hadn't perfected my writing yet. Please understand any errors or just the weird story flow. Thanks for reading~!