Chapter 4

Going Against Fate

I. Like. Her.

 

That was it. I said it. I never thought that I would feel this good. I never admitted it to myself though. It wasn't genuine enough. The way I said it to Kim Tan felt different. 

 

The good feeling didn't last long when I felt my jaw hit something.

 

"What did you say?" Kim Tan asks, his voice rising. He tries to punch me again, but this time, I managed to dodge it with my arm.

 

"I like Cha Eun Sang!" I half shout, regaining my balance. Tan stands still. He looks at me as if I am someone who is incapable of loving. I wouldn't deny it, if I hadn't met her. But I did. And this is what she made me. "You hear me?! I'm not playing games not with you. Not her."

 

Tan just shakes his head in this belief. 

 

The room was filled with eerie silence, then she entered, shutting the door behind her.

 

I hear Tan let out a long breath, his eyes fixed on Cha Eun Sang's. In a moment, her hand was clasped in his. A tinge of hope was sparking in my mind that she would unclasp her hand but unfortunately, she didn't. 

 

/Hul/.

 

"Tan-a, you should go home." She says, her voice cracking. "Your... Your father..." She pauses. 

 

We wait for the answer until Tan's eyebrows furrow. "What?" He asks impatiently.

 

"He-- he saw me downstairs." She says finally.

 

Tan punches the wall in frustration, but he didn't let go of Eun Sang's hand. 

 

I wonder how it feels to have her hand in me like that. 

 

"You have to go." I blurt out before I could even stop myself. 

 

Tan's head snaps to look at me as if telling me that this is an opportunity for me and Eun Sang. He looks at me with disgust. "No." He says in a final tone.

 

"You have to." It was Eun Sang now, her voice, urgent but strong. 

 

A part of me rejoices while Tan, didn't cease to look at me with anger.

 

Eun Sang, feeling the cold atmosphere, tried to pry Tan. "We'll talk tomorrow. I promise." She says softly and Tan started to relax knowing that Eun Sang forgave her.

 

Tan kisses her on the forehead, giving her security and relief. "If anything happens to her, I'll kill you." He says to me without letting Eun Sang go. 

 

"Don't be hard on him. He's trying to help." 

 

"Why on earth are you taking his side?" Tan says, agitated. 

 

I smirk. "Because I'm a good guy." I take Eun Sang's hand, pulling her out of his embrace. "Now, come along dear, your boyfriend's gotta go to prison."

 

"Shut up." With one final look at Eun Sang, he left. 

 

I expected Cha Eun Sang to shoo me, that she'd go to sleep but to my surprise, "What happened?" She asked, concern, coloring her voice. 

 

I began to sweat. What if she heard the whole conversation? "Were you eavesdropping?" 

 

She rolls her eyes. "I was at the lobby, you idiot. I saw his father, right?" 

 

I sigh in relief. "Oh yeah. Well, you have to --"

 

"He punched you didn't he?" She cuts me off. 

 

"It was a weak punch. I just let him do that because I know that he's just a weakli--"

 

"Then why do you have a bruise if he's a weakling?" She cuts me off again. What a wise girl. She reaches up to touch the side of my lip. I back away.

 

"Sleep." I clear my throat. "If you need something, just call me."

 

She looks at me quizzically. "Are you okay?"

 

I nod, and reached for the knob.