Chapter 2

Going Against Fate

“What are you doing here?” She raises her eyebrows as I enter the café she works at, her, mopping the floor. “Its closing time.” She mops here and there, taking all the space as much as she could just to be away from me.

I sat on one of the chairs, placing my arm on the table, with my chin resting on my hand. “There is no that this shop is closed.” I say nonchalantly.

“What?!” her head snaps up and she strides to reach the door. “Give it back.” She demands.

“Let’s just say that I gave your boss a little gift to let me in.”

“Ugh, seriously, that old man.” She sighs heavily and exaggeratingly. She goes back to her unfinished interaction with the map, forgetting that I’m here.

“Eun Sang.” I call out. She doesn’t even move to face me. Or did she even hear me? “Cha Eun Sang.” I call out to her again, and again, she ignored me. “Should I break the glass doors then?” I challenge her.

I see her shoulders tense as she hurries to sit across me. “What now?”

“Do I always have to do something bad for you to respond to me?” She shakes her head looking at the floor. “Yah, look at me.” She looks up, her gaze meeting mine. It was the look that unsettles me, the eyes that make me shake. I clear my throat, getting myself together. “Don’t go to your place tonight. Go –“

“It’s not our place.” She cuts my sentence.

I ignore her, “Go to mine instead.” I say slowly, not wanting her to think of something out of the box.

“What did you say?” Her eyes widen in shock. “Are you out of your mind? Why on earth would I go to your house? This is ridiculous, I didn’t expect you –“

I wave a hand as if to tell her that she’s the one who is being ridiculous. “I live in a hotel, and in a hotel, there are many rooms, I already checked you in.”

“Oh is that so?” She plays with her hands absently. “But I don’t have money to pay you.”

“I have a wish.” She looks up, “Don’t ignore me. Talk to me when I call you, hang on to me while Kim Tan isn’t here.” I say immediately before she could even oppose.

She was quiet for a while, but, “It’s a deal then.” She says without hesitation. I feel a surge of hope welling up inside me, but I stop myself before I even fall for my own little lie. “Since your hotel is expensive, I guess it takes a lot of wishes to pay for it.”

“Good.” I say, trying to talk casually. She stands up, getting back to work. “Thank you Cha Eun Sang.” I whisper to no one. It was better doing it like that than keeping it to yourself.

--

“You don’t have to come with me,” she says for the tenth time. “I might be poor, but I know how to walk in hotels.”

I roll my eyes. “I heard you, you don’t have to say that every now and then.” We reached her room and she yanked the door open.

The room was still dark but she went inside anyway, not bothering in turning the lights on. The door closes automatically. And it is only now that I realize why she kept the room dark.

She is crying.

“I can still see you.” I say. Faint city lights were peeking through the window, enough for me to see where she is and what she does. She wipes her tears with the heels of her hands.

“I thought, him ignoring me is hard, but me ignoring him is harder.” She says between breaths. “It’s like stabbing my heart with his own knife.” She sobs quietly. I fight the urge to run and wrap my arms around her. “It chokes me even though I know that this is the right thing to do. What should I do?” I don’t know if she talks to me or she just want to say it out loud. Either way, I still want to comfort her.

“Cha Eun Sang.” I say softly but loud enough for her to hear. “Cha Eun Sang?” I try again.

“Hmm?” She mumbles.

This is it Young Do, do it, a small voice in my head speaks. “I badly want to hug you right now if you won’t stop crying.” I say, almost gulping in every word.

She kept on crying and crying, I wonder if she ever gets dehydrated whenever she cries like this at night. “Eun Sang.”

“Oh?” she responded more quickly than I expected.

“I will hug you.” It wasn’t a question, but a request. It shocked me when I see her nod her head ever so slowly, giving me permission. I walk slowly, every step feeling like years, every breath feels unreal. My heartbeat was pounding hard as if it wants to get out of my body. I stop right in front of her, her head, few inches below my chin. And slowly, I wrap my arms around her, pulling her to my embrace. Her face rests just above my chest, soaking my jacket with her tears. She was stiff at first, but then she released the tension. I feel her relax as I her hair with my left hand while my right rests on her back. I understand why she didn’t hug me back, it is not what matters now, I am already happy that she trusts me, and in times like this, trust is already enough. We stayed like that for a long time and is disturbed when I hear the door creak open.

Damn, sister.

“I can’t believe this!!” She yells. Cha Eun Sang, upon hearing her voice pulled away. Rachel turned the lights on. It took sometime before my eyes adjusted to the light, so does Eun Sang. “You seduced my fiancé and now you’re flirting with Young Do?” Rachel was already in front of Eun Sang before I could even stop her. “You !”

Cha Eun Sang was slapped.

“Yah! Rachel!” I grabbed Rachel’s arm before she could slap Eun Sang again. “What do you think you’re doing?”

“What?” She looks at me incredulously. “Why her, huh? What is with you boys that you like this poor girl?”

“Leave before I regret in dealing with you. Leave before I agree to the wedding.” I warn her.

She yanks her arm back, scowling at me. “I’ll tell Tan.” And before I could even take her away, the door flung open. I feel Rachel smile, contented of what was happening. “Oh, I forgot, I already texted him the moment I saw you two enter the hotel.”

I saw Cha Eun Sang’s hands curl to fists, suppressing the anger, the hurt, the feelings that overwhelms her. I was observing her too much that I didn’t realize I could easily read her actions.

Kim tan stood stiff in the doorway. “Tan, why don’t you come in? The party just started.” I have to do this, I have to act like this, not to hurt Eun Sang, but to take the blame.

“Shut up.” Tan points at me. “I didn’t want to believe Rachel when she said it, but seeing this? You two? Together? Explains everything.”

I was about to say something when I was taken aback by Eun Sang’s voice. “What explains everything Kim Tan? It’s not as if you know what’s happening? It’s not like you know the whole story, right? You don’t even know why I’m here in the first place.” She stops to breathe, to compose herself. “Well, it’s all because of you, and how I live like a ghost in your house, and how me and my mother are maids.” Her voice was so sharp that you wouldn’t think that she cried 10 minutes ago.

Cha Eun Sang is the strongest girl I know, no wonder I like her.

Rachel, who I forgot was here, snorts bitterly. “It’s good that you realize it now, Eun Sang, that you’re just a rug and Tan is a –”

“Who gave you the permission to talk?” Tan says than ask in a deadly voice. “Leave.”

“No.” Rachel opposes. “If it weren’t for me, you wouldn’t know what they’re up to.” She crosses her arms, the boss of her own, irritating.

“Thanks.” Tan says carelessly, “Now, leave us alone.”

Rachel rolls her eyes in defeat. “I’m not done Eun Sang, this is only the start.” She stomps off, shutting the door after her.

Eun Sang’s hands were uncurled by Tan. “Sorry.” He says, prying her hands with his.

“What a show.” I say sarcastically.

“Shut up. Leave before I kill you.” He warns.

“I only follow Eun Sang’s orders. If she says I leave, then I will.” I give Tan a smirk, his face contorting to a scowl.

“Make him leave.” Tan tells her.

“No.”

My heart just leaped with joy.

“What?” Tan exclaims incredulously.

“No, I said no, you want me to repeat it to you?” Eun Sang looks at him with dagger eyes, “No, Young Do’s not leaving.”

Tan looked like he’s been slapped on the face.