dying coals in the night

jogging in the cold

“Hi, what would you like?”

Irene abruptly tears her gaze off of the menu floating in the space above the counter, jolting out of her daze, and realizes that it’s finally her turn up at the counter. “Oh- um,” she stutters, smoothing down her hair. Flustered already and her blind date hasn’t even started yet. Joohyun, you’re pathetic, she scolds herself, before turning her attention back onto the barista. And blanks again once she realizes how gorgeous the barista’s smile is. “Uh,” she replies smartly, eyes wide and hands fiddling with each other.

“This is your first time here, right? Would you like a recommendation?” At Irene’s shy nod, the barista grins. “Great!” Her name tag flashes in the bright lights of the cafe and Irene can’t help but think how pretty the name Seulgi is. “Since it’s kind of late in the evening, I’d recommend the hot chocolate. It’s the best in the entire kingdom,” Seulgi boasts. “I promise. Mage’s honor,” Seulgi winks and Irene lets out a shy giggle. Irene gives an affirmative nod and pulls out her wallet to pay for the drink. “Nervous?” Seulgi asks as she observes Irene’s quivering hands count out the exact change.

“Yeah,” Irene replies with an anxious little laugh. “My friend,” the older woman explains, “she set me up on a blind date and-” she cuts off, pursing her lips as a blush slowly rises to her cheeks. 

“How about a shot of calming draught?” Seulgi asks, already holding up an empty cup to write down her name and order. “Just a little bit to soothe those nerves down.”

The tattoos swirling up the barista’s forearm pulse from black to a dark orange, like dying coals after a fire, and the slow rhythm of it is almost hypnotic. A fire mage, Irene notes, before realizing that Seulgi’s talking to her. She flushes again before considering Seulgi’s question. “Half a shot,” Irene agrees, biting her lip.

“Half a shot,” Seulgi repeats before giving a conspiratory grin. “On the house.” Before Irene has a chance to protest, Seulgi has already rung her up and moved away from the counter to make her drink.

“Good luck on your date,” Seulgi winks as she hands Irene her drink.

Irene takes a sip of her hot chocolate and the effect of the calming draught is immediate. The magic pulses through her veins before Irene can feel her pulse slow down to a normal rate and the previous shake leave her body. “Thanks,” Irene smiles sincerely, leaving to go find a seat in the cafe.

.

Irene frowns as she checks her phone for any messages from her blind date and sighs when she realizes that there were none. Again. She stares out the window with a frown on her face. It’s been two hours; looks like she’s been stood up.

“Your hot chocolate’s gone cold,” a familiar voice jolts her out of her reverie. She looks up to see the cute barista standing next to her table.

“A-ah, hello,” Irene greets. She tries to smile at her, but the corners of her lips drag down and she bites her lip to stop it from drooping down into a full frown.

Seulgi taps the rim of Irene’s cup and Seulgi’s tattoos pulse a bright orange before fading back into the color of dying coals. A small orange ring marked with ancient runes circles the cup and as the light fades and the thrum of magic dissipates from the air, steam rises from Irene’s previously cold drink. “Thanks,” Irene says in a small voice.

“Date didn’t show up?” Seulgi asks softly, eyes warm and caring, as she sits in the seat opposite of Irene.

Irene gives a small nod before looking down, hiding behind her hair. Her eyes are tearing up and she didn’t want Seulgi to see her like this; she didn’t want anyone to see her like this. “He could’ve given a girl a warning,” Irene jokes but it falls flat when the tears are apparent in her voice.

“Then,” Seulgi proposes, “how about I step in for him?” Irene’s head immediately shoots up and Seulgi smiles lightly at the older woman’s bewildered expression. “It’s a simple yes or no question, Irene-ssi.”

Seulgi’s tattoos slowly pulses in the beats of silence that follows her proposal and Irene bites down on her lip in contemplation before she comes to a decision. “Okay.”

 

A/N: This isn't really anything serious, more like an experimentation in the genre since I really like urban fantasy. So. Also, this is cross-posted here.