Unrequited [Epilogue]

Unrequited

 

Unrequited [Epilogue] - 유키 님

 

 

 

 

As we sat smiling inside the café, none of us opened up about my sickness. Avoiding how are you or how have you been questions, by talking about someone else’s lives. Like how Baekhyun is living with his girlfriend, and who knows what they have probably done, spitting out ideas on what could have happened in a night. Or about Kyungsoo and his boyfriend, imagining inappropriate things on how they could have probably done ‘it’. Laughing like idiots, we spent that day like any normal day.
If there was something I definitely noticed.
He gained weight, focusing on his tummy, it seemed like it’s the only thing that got flabby, he has now larger circles under his eyes, and that… It seems like he cried last night, due to his obviously swollen eyes. And one more thing that I definitely noticed… He’s not smoking. I guess he kept his promise that he wouldn’t smoke anymore… I should tell him then…
That I’m dying.

In Kyungsoo’s place we celebrated for my return, Mrs. Byun was there along with her son, even Jongin and Rein, Kyungsoo’s and Baekhyun’s lover… And of course, Chanyeol. I explained why I was alone for now, but my mother will be staying somewhere near. The thing is, I told everyone, but Chanyeol. I really appreciate them, trying really hard not to break down any moment, and just kept on going with their big happy smiles. And for that I am thankful.
We ate and had fun like kids gone wild without anyone in charge. Just like little toddlers at recess. The only mess we made was the plates and dishes, other than that we had confetti’s on the ground.
We were just like kids, asking me to sing and all…
I’m not as good as Kyungsoo or Baekhyun, so I protested. Ans yet they insisted…
I sang them the first song that came into my mind.
And that was ‘Smile’ by Uncle Cracker… It’s a great song.
The Jongin and Rein were not awkward at all; we actually had tons of fun together. All the while and after the party, Kyungsoo was taking photos non-stop.

 

 

 

 

 

“20150326 01:25pm

Hyemi’s back!”

 

 

“20150326 01:32pm

Hyemi meets Rein and Jongin <3”

 

 

“20150326 02:12pm

FOOD!!”

 

 

“20150326 03:45pm

Hyemi sang us a song! :D”

 

 

“20150326 04:52pm

Hyemi and Chanyeol is <3”

 

 

“20150326 05:00pm

Friends. <3

*Kyungsoo, Jongin, Mrs. Byun, Baekhyun, Rein, Chanyeol and Hyemi”

 

 

Time went by so fast and it was time to go home, Mrs. Byun still needed to go mind the store, Baekhyun and Rein had a date, Kyungsoo and Jongin also had a date… so we couldn’t really stay much longer, and so we left.
Bidding our goodbye’s we hugged.
Rein gave me a peck in the cheek and so did Jongin. Both giving me wishes and words of encouragement. I just smiled and thanked them. The Byun’s took a different cab from me and Chanyeol. We headed nowhere else but my flat. We stayed there and had a little chit chat. Before I told him…

 

“Hey, Chanyeol?”

“Yeah?”

“What would you do… if you found out I was dying?”

“…… What?”

“What if I was dying?”

“Hey, hey. Don’t say that. You’re not dying. You’re back aren’t you?”

“Yeah… But, Chanyeol—“

“Shh… No, you’re not dying. You’re healthy, and well and—“

“Chanyeol… Listen to me.”

“…”

“I’m dying.”

“…”

“This is my last month.”

“I’m sorry I broke my promise.”

Chanyeol just kept quiet. He hugged me and asked me to sing him a song.
I nodded and did so.
I sang him the first song that entered my mind, which was ‘Silver Ecstasy’ by Never Shout Never.

“Silver Ecstasy.
You, gave to me.
Wasted so much time, saying good bye.
Searching for you and I.

You and I, will always be together.
You and I, will always be together.”

 

I felt Chanyeol sobbing and I stopped. I started patting his back. I chose the wrong song to sing… For that song it would be probably best suit couples only…

“Why did you stop singing? Sing another one. Please.”

The crying Chanyeol was too much for me to handle and I couldn’t help but just do what he says. I sang him another song. This time it was in Korean. “Eyes, Nose, Lips”
At the end of the song, I too broke out in tears. 

 

“I’m sorry.”
I whispered.

“I love you…”
He said with a hoarse voice.

“I love you too.”
I said and chuckled.

And we just sat there and just kept on crying.

 

 

 

That last month with Hyemi passed by peacefully. After that night, we just continued on spending time with each other. Sometimes it’ll be her with only Kyungsoo and Jongin, sometimes it’ll be her only with Baekhyun and Rein, sometimes only just with Mrs. Byun, and sometimes alone with me. One time her mother came, it was awkward at first but then, I found out Hyemi told a lot about me to her mother, and it wasn’t that awkward anymore. I still don’t know how Mrs. Song kept on her smile, while facing me. Considering I was the one at fault for her daughter getting cancer.
After that, Hyemi told her students about everything, she got really positive comments and some tear-jerker ones. It made me shed a tear, I was quite surprised. I thought I cried my eyes dry.  That’s when I was wrong when I got Hyemi’s letter on that Summer evening.

 

“Dear Elf,

Hey~! I just saw the weather forecast! The lady said it’ll be sunny tomorrow! With 30% of cloud and 0% rain!! It’s all go to the beach tomorrow! It’ll be fun! You have to come, of course you’ll come. Right? I’m looking forward to it.
Don’t forget!

Love, Hyemi.”

 

Just hours after that letter, I heard sirens coming from outside.