Run

If My Heart Should Fail...

“What do you mean he’s got to go back to work?” Suho completely forgot to keep his tone polite as he stared in complete shock towards their manager, “He’s not even been officially discharged from the hospital yet, how can anyone say that he’s got to go back to work?”

 

Their manager sighed, “Look, I know it’s not ideal...”

 

“Ideal?” Suho just about exploded at the man, “Not ideal? He had a freaking heart attack on stage and nearly died! He needs rest and time to recover, not yet more performances.”

 

The manager shook his head, “It’s not my decision, it was what the CEO advised when I updated him on the situation.”

 

Anger boiled through Suho and he saw red. Before he could hold his tongue or act like the mature young gentleman that he was, words spilled from his mouth in such a long spew that it amazed that he didn’t choke on them. “Do they want to kill Kris? Do they seriously want to put all of the fans and us through that constant worry and hell that something could happen? Do they want to watch as one of their artists literally drops down dead on the stage? Because sure if they want to do that then they can but right now they’re being completely idiotic!” he paused to catch a breath for a second, “I don’t want to watch my friend die in front of me and the others will back me up on that fact! How can they even suggest that?”

 

The manager held up his hands, “Like I said before, I’m just passing on what was given to me and due to contract regulations...”

 

“Contract regulations?” Suho virtually screamed, “Are they seriously going to pull that after nearly killing him?”

 

For the first time in a while the man in front of him was struck silent by the words before a frown rippled across his features. He went to open his mouth to ask the question which was plaguing him but Suho shook his head, “He told me. Kris told me about telling the company and how they said that he had to keep on performing.”

 

“When?” the manager asked, his voice cold and devoid of emotions.

 

“Just before Overdose started promotions,” Suho answered honestly, “He wanted to let me know in case anything happened so that I would not panic. He told you and the management that he was having medical problems and yet you still kept him performing. Now that he’s had a huge heart attack on stage and nearly died, you expect him to go back onto that stage and perform after just a week? You’re insane, that’s the only way that I can think to describe you right now.”

 

“Suho I think you need to calm down,” the manager said, taking on the supposed tone of an adult who thought that he was in charge of a situation, “Look I shall talk to the Management and see if we can get him a little longer off.”

 

Instead of exploding once again, because clearly the man just didn’t understand, Suho stood up and walked away from the man. He ignored any calls that were sent his way and for a second thought about going back to the hotel room to check on the others but instead found his feet leading him straight to the hospital. There were already tears pricking at the corner of his eyes at the thought of what he was going to say but even he knew that it would be the best thing right now.

 

~*~

 

“Joonmyun?” Yifan asked as the other entered his room around ten thirty in the morning, completely out of usual visiting times and looking as though he was about to burst into tears, “What’s wrong? Did something happen?”

 

Joonmyun shook his head, “No...well not to the others if that’s what you’re worrying about.”

 

Yifan blinked, “Then what? You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

 

For a few seconds, Joonmyun tried to work out how best to say what needed to be said. He thought about being subtle at first or just prodding with leading questions but his heart just wouldn’t let him do so that that moment in time. “Yifan...if you’ve got a plan to run...do it.”

 

“What?” Yifan blinked, completely caught off guard.

 

“From SM, from Korea from the entertainment industry...even from us if you have to,” Joonmyun clarified, “If you have some form of plan in place then go with it and don’t look back. You’ll have my support even if it has to be silent.”

 

Silence filled the room for a few long seconds and then Yifan blinked, “What happened?”

 

“They want you to go back on stage,” Joonmyun said quietly, “Even though you’re still ill. Manager was going to see about getting you a few extra days off but...”

 

Taking a gulp, Joonmyun shifted his view down so that he didn’t have to look at the other, “Yifan, I want you to run. I want you to get away from this mess before it really does take your life. I can take care of the others and make sure that they’re okay and that they understand but the thought that every single second of the day I would be watching you, fearing that this would all happen again but this time your eyes would never open.”

 

He didn’t notice that there were tears rolling down his face until a soft tissue ran across his cheeks and he looked up to Yifan with a worried expression. However all that the other did was simply smile softly at him and say, “Thank you.”

 

Despite his image and trying to keep cool, Joonmyun leapt forward to wrap his arms around the other in a deep and tight hug. His tears did not stop falling for a long while and Yifan just quietly held him, feeling a mixture of emotions as he thought about what the other was giving him permission to do. It was not going to be an easy time, not in the slightest but it somehow knowing that Joonmyun approved of his actions made it just a little bit more on the easier side.

 

~*~

 

The news had broken like a damn and had immediately cascaded everywhere. Kris had filed a lawsuit against SM and had been discharged to a hospital nearer to his home with his mother. The media were in an absolute frenzy over the whole situation, SM were coming up with all sorts of different explanations whilst trying to cover their tracks up as best as they could and the fans, including the anti-fans, were in a complete frenzy over everything as well. All sorts of rumours started flying about the web and across the various entertainment shows and it was almost perceived to be a massive shocking revelation.

 

The only corner which was fairly quiet and devoid of any real comments or stirrings was EXO itself. Ever since the news had broken they had kept themselves separated from everything, made very few comments and tried their hardest to just keep on going with their promotions and concerts. If the fans asked they gave simple answers that revealed nothing and changed the subject. Naturally there was concerns that it was all the companies doing but the group just opted to silently stick together and go with the flow.

After finishing yet another concert, around two months after Kris left, the group tiredly made their way back to the hotel and seemed to gravitate to whatever the softest available surface that hadn’t been hogged by some of the other members who had way too much energy even after their very hectic show.

 

Suho found himself being the cuddling pillow for Kai and Kyungsoo whilst Yixing ended up playing the mother to both Tao and Luhan despite being the middle one in that little group. The others headed off quietly to their own respective bedrooms to relax and a soft silence engulfed everyone. Until Suho’s phone started ringing with a bright and rather chirpy tune which startled everyone. Fishing the device out, Suho glanced at the screen before a sunburst bright smile crossed his features as he answered it, “One second, just need to get you on speaker phone.”

 

Kyungsoo frowned and twisted his head up to look at the other when the phone was placed on the coffee table in front of them, “Suho what on earth?”

 

“You didn’t tell them? Man Joonmyun you are so mean sometimes,” Yifan’s voice drifted from the phone, immediately driving any thoughts of exhaustion from those who had remained in the main section of the hotel room as they let out a chorus of happy sounding cries at hearing the other.

 

“What are you doing calling us right now?” Kyungsoo chided playfully looking at the time, “Shouldn’t you be asleep like other ordinary people.”

 

“How you doing didi? You still taking your medicines?” Luhan asked, sounding generally concerned.

 

“Yo is it true that you got cast in a movie, sly little devil that you are.” Kai said, grinning brightly.

 

“Gege!” Tao complained, “I miss you. When are you going to meet up with us again?”

 

“Did you get the package that I sent you the other day?” Yixing asked, sounding concerned.

 

“Whoa,” Yifan’s voice and chuckle silenced them, “One at a time, I know I’m good but dealing with a like six way conversation that’s a mixture of Chinese and Korean is not easy in the slightest.”

 

Suho rolled his eyes, “Are you okay?”

 

“Yeah, I’m a lot better but still taking it easy. Looks like I’m going to get the all clear which’ll be good for filming,” he could almost imagine the smile on the others face right now, “Oh you guys were good tonight too.”

 

Tao blinked, “Were you watching via webcam, gege?”

 

“Nope,” a giggle accompanied the words as he paused.

 

“Oh my god!” Kyungsoo squealed, “You were actually there? I mean like actually in the audience?”

 

“Where were you?” Yixing and Luhan demanded at the same time.

 

“I didn’t see you!” Kai joined in on the complaining too.

 

Yifan chuckled again, “I would be surprised if you did. I was up at the back, had to get the cheapest tickets but it was still good to see you guys performing like that. Made me smile so much.”

 

Suho couldn’t help but sigh, “It still doesn’t quite feel right without you.”

 

“Part of me did want to be there but its better like this,” Yifan smiled, “At least we’re no longer worrying about one another, right?”

 

The conversation did not last much longer before time and exhaustion caught up with everyone and quietly they said their goodnights before retiring to bed. It was comforting to know that they were all still one, even those who had gone to bed earlier got to listen to a couple of mini sound bytes which had been caught and it felt as though they were merely moving back and forth between subunits just like it had been in the old days. 

 

Authors babbling:

I remember at the time of the first couple of concerts in china there being a thing about Kris supposedly being spotted but it could have just been some fan feels that were going around at the time. But I couldn't resist using it for this bit and it was just easier to have only a select number in the room. 

One more chapter to go and then this one will be complete. Thanks for all the subs and comments, they keep me going ^^