For now... Just this moment

Cursed love

Hankyung stretched as he opened his eyes to greet a brand new day. Darkness. He sighed as he fumbled around for his walking aid, hissing as a sharp bolt of pain shot through his head. "You've seen too much, way too much", the sinister voice smirked casually, laughter and contempt lacing its words. This was enough to make Hankyung shoot up instinctively, breathing heavily.

He tucked his knees into his chest, burying his head in his palms. Shivering, he let a soft whimper escape his lips as the menacing glare pierced through the darkness, bright red pupils glowing brightly. Much as he tried, he was unable to clear the vivid mental images away.

"Too much... Too much.... A world of cursed darkness..." Snatches of the haunting sentence echoed in his mind. Hankyung wished he hadn't woken up; he thought the nightmares were terrifying enough, but this was worse.

He'd rather have died.

"Why me? Why? Cho Kyuhyun..." Hankyung trailed off, his voice barely more than a whisper. The temperature in the room seemed to plunge rapidly at the mention of the notorious, dreaded name. The pale translucent skin, the high cheekbones, the darkness that he radiated. Hankyung didn't dare to think further down the dangerous road; he was on the verge of breaking again. 

Almost, but he didn't.

Hankyung was never a weak child. In fact, he was the the exact opposite. Harsh experiences in the past had made the seven-year-old mature much faster than any other child of his age: He had long since learnt what to say and what not to; to set up mental walls and shield his thoughts; to never show any other emotion except for happiness. He didn't want his parents to worry about him. He hated being a burden to them, to anyone.

But the very foundations of the four strong, thick mental walls that surrounded his heart were crumbling. To any other adult or child alike, the knowledge that they were cursed to never see light again would have them sobbing in a heap on the ground uncontrollably. Hankyung's mental strength might be strong, but he was just a 7-year old human after all, and he was very, very terrified.

Lonely.

In despair.

Hankyung sniffed, wiping away the blazing trail his tears had left on his cheeks unknowingly as he uncurled himself, taking deep breaths to calm himself down. He was Hankyung, and Hankyung did not show weakness.

"Lift your chin up, Hankyung. Being unable to see isn't the end of the world. Who knows? It might be even better to live in darkness. You can easily ignore what is going on around you. Maybe even forget all the evils of the world!" He comforted himself, attempting to inject conviction into his shaky voice. 

The nagging thought just would not go away: Maybe... What if the world forgot him too? 

Well, they just might as well do so. He wouldn't be a burden to anyone then. Strangely enough, to this 7-year old child, he'd rather live in the shadows, maybe even fade away one day...

Hankyung snapped out of his thoughts abruptly as he heard three short raps on his door. His brother. Schooling his expression, he put on a blank face, muttering a soft "come in".

"Kyung ah..." Hankyung felt the bed dip and a strong arm wrap around his shoulders. His brother's voice was always so soothing, yet he found it patronizing today.

"Hyung". Hankyung replied, allowing a small smile to appear on his face. He wasn't sure if his family knew about his condition yet, but he wasn't taking any chances. If they weren't aware, it would be best for them to remain in the dark.

In the dark. Hankyung laughed darkly at the irony of it all.

"Kyung-ah..."

"I'm fine." Hankyung responded a little too quickly, and he sensed his brother's change in expression.

"Kyung, it's okay. I know."

"No, you don't know. You don't know a thing." Hankyung thought silently as he fought back tears that were threatening to slip out yet again.

"And don't say I don't know, because I---"

"No, you don't. Nothing's wrong with me! I'm perfectly fine!" Hankyung yelled, hot tears streaming down his cheeks. He reached to wipe them off quickly and forcefully, wanting to pretend that he was okay.

But he wasn't. And more than anyone, his brother knew it.

Hankyung hated it. He hated the fact that his brother could see through him so easily. The latter didn't even need to spend energy on destroying his walls; he'd always been able to see through Hankyung's painstakingly-built mind walls as if they were transparent. It wasn't fair. He didn't want this. He didn't want anyone to read his thoughts or care about him. 

Because they'd only get hurt.

"Kyung-ah... You can cry. It's me. I know you. Just..." Hankyung could hear the catch in his brother's voice as it turned shaky. 

"No, get out. Don't... Just leave me alone, please." By now, he was half begging. He hated feeling guilty more than anything.

"I won't, Hankyung. Let it out."

"No. Get out!"

"You need to-"

"I DON'T NEED ANYTHING, YOU HEAR ME? JUST LEAVE ME ALONE! IT'S BETTER FOR BOTH OF US THAT WAY!"

"I don't-"

"GO! CAN'T YOU HEAR ME? GO! THIS IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!"

"HANKYUNG." The finality in his brother's tone was enough to make the raging seven-year-old shut his mouth. His brother rarely raised his voice, but when he did, he meant business. And no one person could fight the authority lacing his words. 

"Don't you shut me out, kyung. Not me too. I'm not our parents, I understand you. Completely. You know that I don't care if anything happens to me, and nothing will anyway. I'm strong enough."

"No! You-"

"Enough, kyung. I know you're worried for me, but you know it too. Deep in your heart you know it. Stop hiding it. If he tries to take me down, he's in it for a fight. You're getting stronger day by day, but you're still young, and even more vulnerable now that you... can't see now. I'll protect you, I swear." 

His voice was quiet, convincing and soothing, yet stern and not allowing room for any argument. Hankyung could feel his facade slipping and he inwardly groaned.

"No no no... Not now! I can't just let it out!! No. Hankyung, focus. Focus..."

"I... I love you Hyung." Hankyung suddenly burst out, surprising both his brother and even himself. "I love you more than anyone, and I can't bear to lose you too. I've lost too many people in my life, so please, I just can't... Umma and Appa need you. Everyone knows that no one has EVER crossed Kyuhyun and made it out alive. I don't want to drag you into this as well..."

For a long time there was only silence in the room. Hankyung wondered if he had said anything wrong. Did he speak too much? Almost instantly, he regretted showing his emotions.

Nothing good ever came out of it. Not now, not ever. Maybe his brother would think of him as a freak now. He hadn't meant it that way, of course, but... The thought was saddening, but hankyung decided it'd be better if his brother started keeping a distance from him. 

It wasn't just kyuhyun... It was the fact that everyone hankyung had loved had left him... And it was all his fault. 

"It was all my fault..."

Suddenly something splashed onto Hankyung's lap.

"Stop it kyung. It wasn't your fault. And I'm not going anywhere, Kyung. I'm sticking with you to the ends of the earth."

With that one sentence, Hankyung finally broke down.

The young boy was finally letting himself go after all these years.

It didn't change anything; he would still be the reserved, quiet mature Hankyung who carried the world on his shoulders alone after this moment passed.

But at least for now, for this moment, he was just a normal, scared seven-year-old seeking comfort in his elder brother's arms.


Ah idk this felt so angsty D: ofc there's gonna be a backstory but y'all can guess what it is hahah XD

please comment/subscribe ^__^ <3