Thorns

See You | 내가 일어날 때 서로 봐
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's Sunday morning, and I have to do household chores left by my mom. I wonder why all of them aren’t here again.

They're not calling, even just a message about where they went. The last time they left me, they went to a vacation. The second time was when they traveled to Jeju and stayed there for 3 days. This time, they're in Japan, staying there for a week.

I still can't forget what happened that day. I wasn't thinking about how he kissed me and how he wanted me. I'm worried about 'us', something's wrong. His tears make me feel nervous. It’s been a month since that day. He didn’t show up on our 16th month. I never stopped calling him, hoping for him to clear me things but his phone remained out of reach. I never get tired of calling him, before I sleep, after waking up, the same scenario happens.

I came to his place where he told me he's living, he wasn't there, no one's answering when I call from their gate. After a month, how fool am I to not think of going over his house? I cursed myself for being such a dumb, not thinking all the possible things I could do. I hope there’s still a chance to see him. I even hunched, that all through that month we never see each other, he might have forgotten about me. Every after my class dismissal, I go over his house, calling for the same name and the neighborhood, they're eyeing me like, 'what is that girl doing there?'

Another afternoon, after my class, I went to his house again, doing the same. Still, no one is answering. Too desperate to see him, I climbed over the gate, which is as high as my chest.. The place was shaded by the shadows of the beams by the porch at Kai’s house. The door through the living room was unlocked as I continuously tiptoed up to there. I called his name, “Kai?”… No one’s answering, the place was covered with silence, and it seems no one’s around, even Kai. I traveled the whole house, tiptoeing, looking for a room where I predicted he must be lying in there. A door near the kitchen was slightly opened, that made me felt strange, that he might be there.

"Kai?" I called as I opened the door,. I missed him. No one knows how much I've longed to see him after a month without any communications. I entered the white-walled room, clothes were scattered around the floor, clock ticking from the living room made the house turn haunted. Finally, he was there. I saw him, but he doesn't know I'm in front of him. I saw him sleeping like a child who seemed like he spent his whole day playing outside. I walked beside his unconscious body and stared at his short eyelashes.

I went beside him, sitting from the ground, resting my head above my forearms pressed on the side of his mattress, the perfect view from his opened window turned brightening his room. My view from the inside suddenly turned plain white and feel into a sleep.

My dream was farther beyond how Kai and I started as friends, and eventually as 'lovers'. It was like an old film, but I'm sure, I'm there too. I'm at the school library, looking for another novel I could take home and read. I muttered every book title my forefinger pokes one after another. "Taking too long to pick a good one? What type of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter