Chicken

Loving the Unreachable

So this a Xiumin Chapter. It has some background on his character with the introduction of Luhan and Chen. Hope you guys love it! Next chapter will be either Baekhyun or Chanyeol. I can't decide yet so y'all have to wait for a bit in some mystery. Hope you all enjoy reading it!

Also italic speaking is Chinese and Italic everything is a flashback. You might have to take readability off to see the italics.


 

Xiumin walked into his last class of the day feeling mentally exhausted as he had a pop quiz not thirty minutes before in his music class. Thankfully his last class was something he enjoyed, Chinese. Now he was fluent in the language as he grew up in China but he loved the language and was interested to see how the Korean college taught the class. And since he was a senior he was looking for an easy class to balance his schedule. His teacher recognizing his dialect told him it was a waste of his talent and forced him to be his TA for the rest of the year. It lead to Xiumin to using the class as a rest period and his professor didn’t mind as long as he turned in his work and helped grade papers and tests.

“Xiumin come here.” The professor waved him over to his desk were another person stood in front of.

“Hello professor what do you need?” Xiumin asked.

“This is Xi Luhan from Beijing. He just moved here and is not fluent in Korean yet. Would you please show him around?”  Xiumin flinched, but it was small and went unnoticed, at Luhan’s name.

“Of course. Hello Luhan I am Kim Xiumin, it is nice to meet you.” Xiumin bowed and prayed to God that Luhan would not recognize him.

“Hello I am Xi Luhan. Nice to meet you Xiumin! You look familiar?” Luhan mumbled the last part as he followed Xiumin out the classroom. Throughout the tour Luhan was half lost in thought trying to remember if he knew Xiumin or not.

“That’s the campus, do you have any questions?”

“Did you use to live in China?”

“Yes.” Xiumin replied with a tight smile.

“Are you Minseok?” Luhan asked and Xiumin wanted the ground to swallow him up on the inside but on the outside he calmly replied a simple ‘no’ before telling Luhan he had to leave for work. Luhan had a troubled expression on his face as he watched Xiumin’s back disappear and leave him wondering if it really was his former best friend.

When Xiumin knew he was out of sight he leaned against the wall blinking rapidly as he tried to quell the tears that threatened to spill. It had been years since he last saw Luhan and it was much too early to see him again, not after what happened. So many things had happened to him in his short life and Xiumin did not need more happening. Xiumin called Himchan and told him he was taking a day off. Himchan expressed worry but agreed as he knew when Xiumin set his mind to something it was hard to change him.

Xiumin ran home and collapsed on his bed as memories of his life in China took over him.

Five year old Minseok was nervous as he entered the first grade classroom, “Class we have a new friend today.” The class quieted and stared at Minseok. “His name is Kim Minseok and he is from Korea. Minseok your seat is by Luhan. Luhan please raise your hand.”

A small boy in the back raised his hand enthusiastically and Minseok walked over to him, “Hi I’m Luhan let’s be friends!” Luhan smiled a bright smile and Minseok gave a small shy smile in return.

~~

Fourteen year old Minseok sat in the bleachers as he cheered his friend on in his soccer match. When Luhan’s team won Minseok was elated to see his friend so happy. “Luhan that was a great match!” Minseok smiled brightly and Luhan returned the smile with a fierce hug. “Thanks Min!”

“Mama is waiting back at home with a celebration dinner if you want to come over?” Minseok asked despite the fact that Luhan would be considered his family’s second son with how much he was over.

Luhan scratched the back of his head embarrassed, “I kind of forgot and promised the others I would celebrate with them.”

“It’s okay Lu. Go celebrate with your team after all it was the team who won.” Minseok smiled.

“Are you sure Min?” Luhan looked at his best friend curiously.

“Of course. Now go before they leave you behind.

“Thanks Min! I’ll make it up to you don’t worry!” Luhan ran off to his teammates and was immediately assaulted with hugs and shouts of joy. Minseok watched them sadly for a moment before leaving.

~~

“I’m sorry Mr. Kim but your father and mother did not make it their injuries were to serious.” The doctor’s words echoed in Minseok’s ears as the sixteen year old stared at the covered bodies of his parents. They were coming to pick him up from his art exhibition at his school when he got the call. He tried asking Luhan for a ride but the other brushed him off so he ran to the hospital. By the time he got there he was soaked by the heavy rain outside and his parents were gone.

~~

Seventeen year old took one last glance at his locker before closing it with a sigh. It was empty as he was leaving. He then looked for Luhan and found him surrounded by his teammates. Luhan saw him and walked over, “Min I haven’t seen you in a while, how are you?”

“I’m leaving Luhan.” Minseok looked at Luhan’s eyes with a dead stare. The Chinese man had ceased being his best friend for quite some time now.

“What?” Luhan tilted his head in confusion.

“I’m moving back to Korea, I came to say goodbye.” Minseok’s dull voice echoed and Luhan’s face went from shock to rage. He grabbed Minseok by his shirt collar.

“What the hell do you mean you’re moving back?”

Minseok glared, “Why do you care. I said my goodbye as a courtesy for your parents. I’m moving back to live with my Uncle. Let me go Luhan I have a plane to catch.”

Luhan punched him, “Fine then go back you dirty foreigner I don’t even know why I was your friend in the first place.”

Minseok’s lip was bleeding but he was not one to be put down, “We haven’t been friends the day you decided that your teammates were more important than my dying parents.”

Luhan saw red and started punching Minseok relentlessly, his teammates pulled him away before he did any serious damage. Minseok stood up from the ground, leaning heavily on his right leg, “I hope we never meet again Luhan.” Minseok limped away and Luhan started crying as his best friend left him. He hurt him and he didn’t know why but what he did know was that Minseok was his and he would search for him in Korea when he could. Minseok could not leave him.

~~

Minseok took one last look at the airport with tears in his eyes. A hand came to rest on his shoulder and he saw his Uncle Jongup, his mother’s brother, with a sad smile on his face. “I’m okay Uncle. Just a little sad that I know I’m never coming back.”

“Don’t worry Minseok you’ll create new memories in Korea.” Jongup said with confidence. “No come one they called our row.” Minseok nodded and walked on the plane ready to leave all the pain he held in his heart behind in China.

“Xiumin-hyung open up!” A loud yell and bang on his door woke him up from his memories. Slowly he got up from his bed and wobbled to his front door. Opening the door he saw Chen, his friend from his music class during freshman year of college who stuck to him like a leech after they became friends.

“What?” Xiumin sighed.

“Hyung were you crying?” Chen asked once he saw how red his hyung’s eyes were.

“Just some dust in my eye Chen-ah don’t worry.” Xiumin lied. Chen narrowed his eyes but decided it wasn’t worth bothering his hyung. “What did you come here for?”

“I wanted to ask if you wanted to eat dinner with me. There’s a really good chicken place nearby and it’s never crowed so I thought I would ask if you wanted to come.” Xiumin’s eyebrows scrunched together in thought, “I’m buying.” Chen added.

Xiumin gave a small smile but for Chen it was like seeing his hyung giving a million watt smile as he rarely sees it. “Okay ChenChen let me go grab my coat.”

“Hyung you’re wearing it.” Chen looked at his hyung weirdly. Xiumin blinked owlishly before nodding to himself and dragging Chen out of his apartment and asking him to lead him the chicken restaurant.