Chapter 4

Wo Bu Ai NiLe (I Don't Love You)

The next few weeks, Jing divided her time between her parents' house and her own apartment. She was happy she and her dad were able to talk these days. As long as they avoided topics about Jing's music career or love life, both of them were happy.

Well...happy was relative. Jing had traded her happiness with one of the loveliest women on Earth (Diana) for the false happiness with her family. She had told her mother she'd broken up with Diana, but they barely talked about it. Jing supposed she was expected to be the tough chick with no feelings and just find it a perfect tradeoff going out to a movie or dinner with boring Howie. It was always clear that Diana wasn't part of the family, but Jing thought her mom might at least be alert enough to notice Jing was broken without her girlfriend. But no, it was like someone had waved a magic wand and erased Diana from everyone's consciousness except her own.

Jing had received several phone calls and voicemails from her estranged lover, but she only answered one, via text message. All she'd written was that she wanted to be left alone and to not bother contacting her. Diana had ceased contact, just like the title of one of Jing's popular songs. Jing was relieved, but also hurt that Diana would just accept this arrangement without persisting to get to the bottom of things. Maybe they were better apart after all if Diana wasn't even making an effort to contact her just because she asked her not to. Ah-Jing, you idiot. What do you want? She contacts you, you get irritated. She stops communications and it's all you want!

 

Diana was a wreck. Her friends were out of ideas to cheer her up. They had all been friendly with Jing and wondered why they'd wasted their time making nice with someone who ultimately turned out to back-stab their friend. Diana felt a tremendous sense of emptiness and confusion. There was no closure, there were no reasons. Jing didn't even respect her enough to explain. Had their 2 years together been a lie? Diana had thought Jing was an intelligent, sensitive person but now she just seemed like a .

 

One night, Diana's friends brought her out for some distraction in the form of a movie premiere. One of her favorite film directors would be present for the screening and though she was excited, everything just seemed to pale in comparison to a life with Jing in it.

But of course, fate was a cruel witch. As much as Diana missed Jing, she was not amused when she and her friends ran into her on the way out of the event. She'd longed to see her these past few weeks, but now forced to, she preferred to hide.

Her friends created a human barricade, but when Diana saw Jing acknowledge her, she told them it was okay and to let her go. She slowly walked toward Jing, attempting to ignore the jelly feeling in her knees. She was a bit surprised that Jing stood where she was and didn't break eye contact. She'd expected her to dash.

Arriving in front of her, the wind was blown right out of Diana. My god, she looks beautiful. She was wearing a bit more eye makeup than usual and her hair was tousled into a side clip that gave the illusion of a side faux-hawk.

Diana stammered, "H-hey," and her cheeks probably deepened in color for all to see.

"Hey," Jing's hello was weak. Her voice lacked its usual confidence and her greeting was shortly followed by an equally weak smile.

The silence that followed was painful. Thankfully (or not) Jing's date sprung into action.

"Hi there!" the tall man his hand out at Diana. Reluctantly but somewhat robotically, she shook it without introducing herself.

Jing stepped in.

"Diana, this is Howie. Howie, Diana."

Howie mentioned something about using the restrooms while the girls "caught up". Diana let her gaze slip to the floor. Jing shuffled her feet and wasn't sure what to say. Nearly at the same time, they both tried to initiate a conversation, but Diana's voice was slightly louder, and took precedence.

"Look, can't we talk?" she asked.

Jing's eyelashes hooded her glance as she tried to think of an excuse, but in the end only uttered, "I don't want to."

"Please? Can't you just explain? Don't you owe me that?"

Diana looked so sad Jing could barely hold back her emotions. She bit her lip and said, "I just don't love you." Diana's eyes met her own and it felt like hot spikes were piercing her gut. She had to look away. Fixing her eyes on the random crowd scene a few feet ahead of them helped her keep from crying.

Diana Jing's arm and choked out, "Ah-Jing...I just don't understand."

Jing missed her touch, but withdrew her arm.

"Don't," she pleaded, finally fixing her ex with a glare. "I DON'T. LOVE. YOU, do you hear me? What do you not understand?" she tried to keep her voice down.

Diana stared at her feet. When she looked up again a tear stained her cheek and she blurted,

"Did you EVER?"

 

Jing's stomach hurt. She wanted to vomit. She glanced at the crowd again but her eyes watered anyway.

"No," she threw the one syllable out to the crowd presumably.

Diana prodded, "Huh? Can you talk to ME please? What did you say?"

"NO! No, okay? NO! No no no Enn-Ohh. Get it? No, I've never loved you, don't make me laugh."

Diana felt like the rug had slipped from under her shoes. Was Jing really this heartless? If she was, why did she look like she was crying? Diana sniffled and shook her head. That male friend of Jing's was on his way back, all smiles. Jing pawed at her eyes to wipe away any trace of tears without ruining her eyeliner.

As Howie put his hand on Jing's waist with a "Hi again!", Jing spat,

"Diana, it was nice to see you. I should go. My BOYFRIEND is back." She smiled the false smile that only a liar can smile.

Diana was frozen to the spot as Howie forcefully shook her hand good night as if they were best friends. She stared at their backs as they walked away. Was she still standing? She was in shock and couldn't feel her legs. All she could suddenly think of was Where are my friends? and Are they close enough to catch me? She thought she was about to pass out...

By divine intervention or just coincidence, her tallest friend was already at her side, strongly grasping her arm. Another friend was asking if she was alright, and then too many voices all talking at the same time. She wanted to close her eyes. Just for a moment. Maybe forever.