Chapter 3

Wo Bu Ai NiLe (I Don't Love You)

Diana was completely lost. She didn't know if she was awake or asleep. Dreaming? More like a waking nightmare.

How could this be? There must be some misunderstanding, Diana thought, and willed herself to think of other things. Any things.

She'd asked a friend to meet her that night in hopes of creating ample distraction. But all they ended up doing was discussing various hypotheses about what had happened with Jing. Had she been serious? Was it some kind of sick joke? Jing seemed stressed out lately, so maybe she was just acting strange and would be back to normal in a few days.

Diana tried to stay neutral but she was restless and worried that they were really over.

Why would she break up with her out of the blue like that? There were no warning signs! Or had there been some Diana was just oblivious to? She was crazy about Jing - maybe she'd just overlooked the fact that only one of them was happy?

So confusing!

 

After some snacks, the girls chilled at Diana's kitchen table. Diana slouched into her chair and rested her chin on her arms, which she crossed over the table. She stared out into nothingness.

"Did you call her?" her friend asked.

"No," Diana sighed into her arms.

"This is really strange."

"Understatement of the year," Diana muttered. "Hey, Mui, I don't mean to kick you out or anything, but...I think I want to get some sleep."

"Oh, no worries. Are you sure? I can stay if you like," Mui offered.

Diana sighed again, "I dunno."

"Yeah - I could sleep on the sofa if you don't want to be alone."

Diana paused to ponder the idea and then sat up in her chair. She fumbled with the drawstring of her hoodie.

"What do you think, Jin?"

"Oh, don't call me that," Diana requested. Jin was Diana's English name. People often because it was almost identical to her (ex) girlfriend's given Chinese name.

Jin and Jing bla bla bla, Oh aren't they cute, they have the same name, bla

                                                                                                                       BLA

                                                                                                               BLAH.

"Sorry," Mui said

"Reminds me of Jing," Diana stated the obvious.

"I know," Mui agreed.

"Seriously, you'd stay with me tonight?" Diana looked down at her hoodie strings.

"For sure! If I'm not a burden."

"Oh, of course you wouldn't be. I think I'd like the company, yeah."

 

Diana turned her sofa into a makeshift bed, said good night to Mui and retreated to her bedroom. She was emotionally tired, but far from sleepy.

She had some ideas for a new song and toyed with the lyrics for an hour before hitting writer's block. She noticed she'd been doodling instead of writing for the past little while. She was taken aback when she saw what she'd been scribbling. In disgust, she flicked off her desk lamp and flung herself into her bed.

As she drifted off to slumber, the doodled piece of paper sat on her desk, defiantly boasting its scribbles to the darkened room.

The paper was filled with hearts and one word.

"Jing".