Chapter 5

For the Better

Not letting go of her, Eric responds to Changmin with annoyance in his voice. “Excuse me? Who are you to tell me what to do?”

 

“I’m her boyfriend, who are you?” Changmin replied in an impulse. Aish what am I doing right now? This is totally not me. It is all this brat’s fault. I was just going back to my room when I heard a commotion. Being my curious self, I turned to the sound of the commotion and much to my surprise, the damsel in distress is the brat. I wasn’t planning to do anything. I started heading to my room, but something held me back. I knew I would regret it if I left a lady in trouble. Realizing this, I rushed back in time to see her face in fright and anger. My body immediately went to her side and held her wrist.

 

“Boyfriend? Ha! You’re joking right? Tell me he’s joking.”

 

What is this guy doing? Why is he touching me? Boyfriend, my . He is the last person on earth that I would want to end up with. Aish, whatever. I have to get rid of this psycho first.

 

“Sweetieee, what took you so long?” Victoria felt disgusted with herself as she forced herself out of Eric’s grasp and got closer to Changmin to hold onto his arm.

 

“Sorry honey, I had some business to take care of. As for you mister, don’t ever let me catch you touching my girlfriend or go anywhere near her again, you hear me?”

 

“You’re going to regret this.” Eric threatened as he walked away in fury.

 

As soon as Eric was no longer in view, Victoria immediately pushed Changmin away. “ert! How dare you touch me? Girlfriend? Don’t make me laugh. I will never, I repeat NEVER will I date you, a ert jerk, even if you were the last man on earth.”

 

“ert? This is what I get for going out of for saving you? Yahh aren’t you too much? Not even a thank you. Don’t worry, I didn’t want to touch you either, and I will never date you either, even if you were the last woman on earth.”

 

“Good.”

 

“Good!” Victoria began stomping away back to her room until she felt a burning sensation, causing her to stop and crouch down. She had forgotten about her injured ankle, thanks to the dispute earlier. She had to embarrass herself at a time like this, in front of the person she least wanted to embarrass herself in front of. She closed her eyes and bit her lip in reaction to her embarrassment. Aishh, why at a time like this? And why in front of him of all people? It’s okay Victoria. Stand up with your back held high. There is no shame.

 

She stood up and tried to walk, but to no prevail. Her ankle gave out and she ended up falling onto the floor. At this point, she wanted to cry. The night was too much for her. Never in her life has she been in an attempted assault. She started feeling tears forming in her eyes. She couldn’t think of anything anymore, nor did she want to.

 

It was in that moment that she saw a shadow come in front of her and knelt down to her level. “Get on.”

 

She was confused. She didn’t understand why this Changmin guy was still here and what he was trying to do. “What?”

 

“I said get on my back. You can't walk right now can you?” Changmin started to lose some of his patience. Seriously Changmin, what are you doing? You keep putting yourself in a bad situation every time you bump into this brat, so why do you keep trying to help her?

 

“What are you trying to do ert? You want to harass me, too?”

 

“I was just trying to help you, but it seems like you don’t need it.” Changmin began to stand back up.

 

Victoria got flustered at what she just did. As soon as Changmin began standing up, her hand immediately reacted and grabbed onto his arm, which caused him to kneel back down. “Wwh-hoo said I didn’t want your help,” she replied in a shaky voice. She knew she couldn’t put up a cold front any longer. She knew she wouldn’t be able to go back to her room without his help.

 

“Don’t you dare try to do anything funny, you hear?”

 

“As if I'll try to do something with you. Just hurry and get on.”

 

After a few seconds of hesitation, she slowly positioned herself in a way to be easily picked up and wrapped her arms around his neck. She then felt herself lifted off of the floor and felt the front side of her body against a very muscular back.

 

“What's your room number?”

 

“163.”

 

“Really? My room is only two rooms away from yours. Heol, there is no escaping from you, is there?”

 

“Yah what's that supposed to mean?” She slightly hit his back.

 

“Just kidding, there is no need to hit me, or I might accidentally make your heavy self fall.”

 

“Jugulle?”

 

“Ani.”

 

“Then be a good boy and go on without talking.”

 

The rest of the way to Victoria’s room was full of awkward silence. Neither said one single word to one another.

 

I still can't believe this situation I'm in. Why do keep bumping into this ? As if my busy life hasn't handled enough. I gotta admit though, he is quite muscular. He complained about my weight earlier, but it doesn't seem like he's struggling at all. His back feels mighty strong but yet soft. Feels comfortable that I could fall asleep right here, right now. Yah, what are you thinking Victoria?! Get yourself together. This guy is a player. You hate these kinds of guys. Remember that.

 

Changmin, Shim Changmin. Seriously, what are you doing? You should've just minded your own business and went back to your room. You and your nosy self. Now look at the mess you put yourself in. She hasn’t even thanked you for helping her yet. It’s no use helping someone like her. You were never soft on women, so why now? Let’s just hurry and get this over with.

 

The awkward atmosphere did not go away even when they arrived in front of Victoria’s room.

 

“Okay, I can go from here.” Victoria broke the silence.

 

“Where’s your card key?” Changmin ignores Victoria’s statement.

 

“It’s okay, I said I can go from here. Put me down now.”

 

“Don’t be stubborn. You were barely able to stand. Now give me your card key.”

 

Victoria sighed, signaling her defeat. “Hold on, it’s in my purse.” Victoria searched her purse for the card key. “Here.” She hands Changmin the key for entry of her room.

 

Once Changmin gained entry into Victoria’s room, he immediately sat Victoria down on her bed. “You can leave now.”

 

“Where is the first aid kit?” Changmin ignored Victoria’s request.

 

“Huh? It’s in the restroom cabinet. Why?”

 

Without replying to her, Changmin headed to the restroom, leaving Victoria confused. What does this man think he is doing?

 

A few moments later, Victoria notices him coming back with the first aid kit in his hand. Once again, Changmin took her by surprise when he took her shoes off and grabbed her injured ankle. “Yah, what do you think you’re doing?! Ahh! That hurts!”

 

“Seems like it got really swollen. Don’t move. I’ll rub some ointment on.” Again, the awkward atmosphere filled the whole room. She was still in shock and couldn’t completely process what was presently happening, whereas he was wondering why he was doing something he had never done before. Soon, he finished rubbing the ointment on, and was beginning to wrap the elastic bandage around her injured ankle.

 

“Okay, you should be good now. Don’t put pressure on it for now. If possible, limit the number of times you get up and walk.”

 

“I know that, Mr. Know it all. Anyway… Thank you.” He does seem different. Maybe he’s not that bad of a guy. He did help me after all when he could’ve just ignored me.

 

“Wahh daebak, seems like you have manners after all. Call me if you need me. I’m in room 161. I’m leaving now.”

 

“As if I’ll call you, I don’t need you. Get out!”

 

“Yeah, yeah okay. Bye.” He waved goodbye while leaving with his back turned away.

 

I change my mind. He’s still a jerk after all.