Chapter 4

For the Better

 

 

 

 

She couldn't believe her eyes. Why does she have to keep bumping into this guy?

 

 

He was starting to think that fate was playing with him. The person he least expected to see was right in front of him.

 

______________________________

 

 

He stared at the custom-made Kenneth Cole blue sharkskin suit laying out on his bed, matched with a light blue Tommy Hilfiger narrow tie. It was time for him to get ready for the banquet.

 

 

“Alright Changmin, let's do this.” He encouraged himself to do well and to show the power of his company. He changes into the suit and tie with an addition of a Michael Kors Lexington Chronograph bracelet watch and Belvedere Como black Alligator lace-up shoes. He made his way to the banquet hall after he groomed his hair.

 

 

Unlike other times, this time he felt confident in making his family proud. The moment he got to the banquet hall, he automatically started conversing with some men from other companies.

 

 

“Changmin! Nice to see you, my boy. How are you and your family doing?”

 

 

“Hello Mr. Choi. We are doing fine. How are you and your wife doing?”

 

 

“We are also doing fine, thank you for asking. I heard that you guys are working on a new project. If you need assistance, don't hesitate to ask me.”

 

 

“Yes we are. No worries, I'll have you on speed dial and rush you over if we do.” They laughed over the simple joke. Changmin went through this same routine for the next few businessmen before the man of the event arrived.

 

 

“Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you for coming to Queen’s special night. It is time for the man of honor to spend his time with all of you. Give it up for Mr. Alan Queen!” Mr. Queen really was the man of the night as he made his grand entrance while the whole hall thundered with applause. He was a handsome man who was able to grab anyone’s attention just by the way he presented himself. Even though he was already 47 years old, the moment he walked in the room, he brought an aura that was filled with calm light yet a strong sense of power, and aura that could bring all the women’s attention to him.

 

 

“Good evening everyone. Tonight is an important night. It is the 25th anniversary of the Queen’s company. I am Alan Queen, son of Adam Queen, founder of Queen’s Company. I remember when our family started off living in a barn, a barn that was only able to raise a few animals. Due to this circumstance, we had trouble in financial living. However, we never gave up. Our love and pride that we had for each other made us stronger until my father grew a mass production and ended up founding what is now known as the Queen’s Company. I stand here tonight as the heir of Alan Queen and swear upon my father that the company will strive and be stronger than ever! Ladies and gentlemen, thank you coming. Enjoy your evening!”

 

 

Changmin really appreciated the speech. Everything that he had heard stayed in his heart, for he also wanted to manage his company well. It has been a while since he saw Mr. Queen. The very moment he got his chance, he made his way to Mr. Queen.

 

 

“Bonjour Mr. Queen. It’s me, Shim Changmin.” He greeted Mr. Queen, not noticing the lady that was already conversing with him.

 

 

Mr. Queen immediately noticed that someone was calling for him. “Changmin! How have you been? You look well. What a coincidence, I actually want you to meet someone.” Mr. Queen put his attention to the lady that he was with. Changmin was curious as to who Mr. Queen wanted him to meet. He thought that she looked familiar, but he shook off the feeling. However, as he looked more closely, he knew he was right. Before he knew it, he unconsciously pointed at the one in front of him.

 

______________________________

 

 

Victoria headed out right after she was ready. She was excited to see Mr. Queen, her uncle. Yes her uncle, or like an uncle. Before she was even brought into the world, her family and his family were friends. Victoria’s family was the one who helped the Queen’s family get to where it is now. The Queen’s family might be French, but communication was never a problem for them. When Victoria was born, Mr. Queen was always there to take care of her whenever there was no one else. Because of this, Victoria grew a strong relationship with him.

 

 

She arrived on time before his speech. Nothing could express how happy she felt for her uncle. The moment he gave his speech, tears could be seen glistening in her eyes. When the speech was finished, she immediately went to greet him.

 

 

“Guess who this is,” she snuck up behind him and covered his eyes with her hands.

 

 

“Hmm, let me guess, my only favorite niece in the world.” Smiling, he turned around to a smiling Victoria and hugged her. “You look beautiful, darling.”

 

 

“You don’t look bad yourself, Uncle! I missed you! Have you been so busy that you couldn’t visit your favorite niece?”

 

 

“Sorry, darling. I missed you, too, but things got hectic. The company needed me. But you get to see this handsome face right now, right?” He joked.

 

 

“Hehe, of course!”

 

 

“Ms. Victoria, sorry to interrupt, but there is someone who wants to meet you.” Butler Kim informed.

 

 

Victoria turned her attention onto her butler. “Who is it?”

 

 

“It seems that young Mr. Jang from Jang Co. has taken a notice and wants to meet you.” Turning to her left, she could see a man leaning against the wall. With a smirk, he raised his glass of wine her way.

 

 

She knew what kind of man he was right away. Feeling uncomfortable with the thought of meeting the man, she declines the meeting. “Please tell him that I politely decline his offer.”

 

 

“I will inform him of your reply.” He left after giving a small bow.

 

 

Although Victoria had turned her attention onto her butler, there was no doubt that she noticed someone coming up to her uncle during her conversation with Butler Kim.

 

 

“..How have you been? You look well. What a coincidence, I actually want you to meet someone.” Victoria heard as Butler Kim bowed before leaving.

 

 

“Victoria.” Her uncle called out to her and pulled her next to him in a side hug. “I want you to meet Shim Changmin. Changmin, this is Victoria.” She turned her head to the man who her uncle had introduced. Her eyes immediately widened. She automatically recognized the man in front of her. As if something took control of her body, her arm unknowingly went up and pointed at the man named Changmin.

 

 

“The conceited jerk!”

 

 

“The cab brat!”

 

______________________________

 

 

 

“Yah, who are you calling a brat?!” Forgetting where their surrounding was, the two began bickering.

 

 

“Victoria, settle down. This isn’t like you. Wait a minute, so you guys know each other?” Mr. Queen interrupted.

 

 

“Uncle, this jerk here is the one who made me fail my escape yesterday.”

 

 

“Un-uncle?” He has to admit that he is shocked from what the brat called the infamous Mr. Queen.

 

 

“Yes, he’s my uncle, so what? Got a problem with it?” Victoria stuck out her tongue to Changmin.

 

 

“Victoria, Quit it. You’re being so unlady-like, and escape? What escape are you talking about?”

 

 

“Because Mr. Shim Changmin here doesn’t deserve my manners. And it's nothing, don't worry about it.” She emphasized his name.

 

 

Changmin wanted to retaliate, but he didn’t want to look like a fool any more than he already has.

 

 

“Victoria, I’m warning you. Don’t make me have to complain to your parents. You know what they would do.”

 

 

“Alright, alright. I’m leaving now anyway. You’re no fun anymore uncle. So bossy.”

 

 

“Victoriaa.”

 

 

“Love you, bye!” Victoria gave Mr. Queen a quick peck on the cheek before heading off to her room, but not before sticking her tongue out at Changmin one last time.

 

 

“Victoria! Oh gosh, I will apologize on her behalf. She’s normally not like this.”

 

 

Changmin had to admit, even though she was annoying, it wasn’t like he hated her bickering. He actually found it interesting. “No problem Mr. Queen. Who knows, maybe it was I who made a mistake and got her angry without realizing it.” He said a small lie. "I had no idea you had a niece though."

 

 "She's not really my niece. She's the daughter of Peter Song from Faith Company."

 

"What?! Really?"

 

Mr. Queen had to let out a little laugh. "Yes, really. What's up with that reaction?"

 

"Oh nothing, sorry." Changmin got a little flustered with the way he reacted, but he couldn't help it after finding out that that kind of female has the blood of royalty. "Then how come you guys are so close? You act like you guys are really related to each other."

 

"You see, her father and I go way back. We knew each other since we were in middle school. We instantly clicked and were close ever since. Peter always had my back, even when those guys bullied me, saying that I will go no where in life. Of course, that would've been a true if Peter didn't help me when my family was on the brink of losing our house, money, everything. He is the reason why Queen is where it is today. I owe Peter and his family alot. We are still close even until today. I helped take care of Victoria whenever her parents weren't around to care for her. I guess we spoiled her a little too much."

 

"I see. I'm glad you trust me enough to tell me this. Don't worry, I don't hold grudges." He said another small lie.

 

“Thank you Changmin for understanding and thank you for coming. Well, I will attend to my other guests now. Have a great evening.” Mr. Queen said before leaving.

 

 

“You too, Mr. Queen. Have a great night.”

 

 

______________________________

 

 

Victoria was heading back to her room. She just wanted to lay down and let the night pass by, but it seemed like god had other plans in store. After stepping out of the elevator, Victoria could feel herself losing her balance. Before she knew it, she felt herself falling.

 

 

She expected to fall hard on the floor. Instead, she felt arms wrapped around her tiny waist. Turning to face upward, her eyes met the smirking face of the man whom she refused to meet.

 

 

“Are you alright, Miss Victoria Song?” He asked with no sympathy in his voice.

 

 

Victoria immediately got up and got his dirty hands off of her. “I am fine, thank you for your rescue Mr…”

 

 

“Jang, Eric Jang of Jang Co. I requested your meeting, but you refused. Any reason as to why that is?”

 

 

“Oh, Mr. Jang. I apologize, I was unfortunately busy greeting and meeting with important attendees.” She replied sarcastically. “Please do accept my apology.”

 

 

“I see, well it’s no problem as we can talk now.” Victoria could see evilness in his smirk and eyes. She no longer wanted to be alone with this man.

 

 

“What do we do? I am heading back to my room and calling it a night. I have to apologize again. Well, have a good evening.” Victoria wanted to dash away, but the moment she took a step, she felt pain in her ankle. “Ah.” She fell into a dip.

 

 

“What’s wrong? Are you hurt somewhere?” Again, he asked with no sympathy. He began to inspect where Victoria was holding.

 

 

“No, I’m fine.” All she wanted to do was to get away from this creep, but it came to no prevail. He did a little squeeze on her hurt ankle which made her squeal in pain.

 

 

“This is not going to do. It seems like your ankle is twisted. You won’t be able to walk. Where’s your room? I’ll take you back.”

 

 

“No! No.” She immediately refused. “I’ll be fine. Don’t worry about me. Just go on your way. I’ll be able to make my way back.”

 

 

But he kept insisting. “No, you can’t. Here, I’ll take you back.” Before Victoria could react, he began pulling her and tried to carry her.

 

 

“I said I’m fine, now let me go. Do you hear me? I said let me go!” She tried to pull herself away, but he was too strong for her, especially with her injured ankle.

 

 

Suddenly, she felt another hand grab her. Turning to owner of the hand, her eyes widened with shock and confusion.

 

 

“Didn’t you hear the lady? She wants you to let go.”  The dark, fiery glance Changmin gave Eric remained in Victoria’s eyes.

 

 

 

 

A/N: Anyeong!! It’s been a while! Sorry about that, got caught up with school and work and now I got exams coming up again, which means I probably won’t post maybe for a couple of weeks. >_< Don’t worry, I won’t forget my readers and my story. Hopefully this chapter makes up for everything! :)