Happy Birthday Mom

Arranged Future

SORRY THIS CHAPTER IS SO LATE YOU GUYS!! I'VE BEEN WORKING MY OFF AT STUPID BANANA REPUBLIC!

 

“So your mother’s birthday is on the same day as my mother’s birthday?” Jimin queried with a chuckle and a disbelieving shake of his head. Who would’ve thought? He led the elder by the front of his jacket into the cemetery, both clenching fresh blooming bouquets of pretty pink tulips. Pink tulips were Jimin’s mom’s favorite. “Crazy coincidence, Jiminnie,” Yoongi mumbled as he allowed himself to be yanked along like a child. 

 

“We should go visit your eomma today as well, hyung,” Jimin suggested as they neared his parents’ resting area, “Wish her a happy birthday too, you know.” Yoongi ignored his boyfriend’s suggestion and placed his bouquet on his boyfriend’s mother’s grave, “Happy birthday, Park-eomma,” he said respectfully with a small bow. “Saeng-il chukha hamnida,” Jimin did his best to sing it happily, but it was too hard. He missed his parents so much, they were all he had (before Yoongi). He bit his bottom lip and sullenly ceased his singing. 

 

Yoongi let his hand slide down the younger’s back as he stooped to place his bouquet on his mother’s grave as well. Jimin snagged a trio of tulips from the bouquet and turned to place them on his dad’s s grave, “Don’t think I forgot about you dad,” he said resting his chin and hands on his bended knees, “Mom just gets more because it’s her birthday.” He smiled as he looked back and forth between his parent’s names etched into their respective granite headstones.

 

Jimin turned to glare up at his boyfriend and complained, “You didn’t say hello to my appa, Yoongi-hyung.” Yoongi bowed slightly, “Annyeong-haseyo,” he greeted a little awkwardly. He stooped down beside his boyfriend, “Happy?” he asked him through a smile. “I’d be happier if you spoke to them,” Jimin replied back, he sounded hopeful. He didn’t want to be the only one talking to them. 

 

Yoongi sighed, he didn’t feel the same way as Jimin did about speaking to spirits, but he’d try for his boyfriend. he wanted him to be happy. “I really don’t know what to say to you, except that I’m doing my best to take care of your son and I’m making sure I keep him happy,” he told the younger’s deceased parents, “You don’t have to worry about him, I promise.” 

 

Jimin proudly grinned and nodded his agreement, “He’s taking really good care of me.” ‘But, I take care of you too, hyung, even when you don’t realize it,’ he thought sneakily.


“Jimin, where are you taking me?” Yoongi asked the dark-haired younger curiously, “And, more importantly, why are we abandoning my car?” The pair was sitting in a cozy corner of a westward bound train going uptown; Yoongi’s elbow rested on the large window sill and Jimin had his legs folded pretzel-style in the seat beside him. Yoongi’s car was long forgotten in the cemetery parking lot. 

 

Jimin side-eyed the elder mischievously and grinned. “We’re going to visit your eomma,” he revealed as he propped his elbow on his boyfriend’s shoulder, “And we’re taking the train so you won’t escape.” Yoongi sighed and nudged his boyfriend off of him, “Why in the hell are you kidnapping me?” he asked in annoyance, “I don’t want to see my mom.”

 

“Why not?” Jimin asked through a pouty aegyo. “Because she and my dad have been nothing but complete s all year,” the elder answered and stubbornly crossed his arms. 

 

Jimin laid his chin where his elbow had previously been, “Yea, and part of the reason for that is my fault,” he admitted somewhat guiltily, “If I had minded my own business and not interfered, you and your parents would still be on good terms.” “True,” Yoongi easily agreed, much to Jimin’s obvious chagrin, “but I’d also still be angry, miserable, unhappy, and unfulfilled,” he added.

 

Jimin wrapped a loose arm around his boyfriend’s waist, “I still feel a little guilty about your falling out,” he mumbled. Yoongi pinched the tight skin on the back of the younger’s hand, “Since when?” he asked suspiciously as he twisted the flesh harshly. “Ouch,” Jimin cried out as he snatched his hand away and answered, “Since I found out they aren’t as awful as we thought.” 

 

“What do you mean?” Yoongi questioned, his suspicion-level at an all-time high. 

 

Jimin sighed and twiddled his thumbs in his lap, “The night of Juntao-hyung’s opening, I overheard them talking about the painting they bought,” he revealed glancing at his boyfriend, “They lied about their reason for buying it.” Yoongi knitted his brows in confusion, “What?” he asked crossing his arms. Jimin slowly nodded his confirmation. “How do you know that?” the elder queried. 

 

“I was coming out of the bathroom when I overheard them congratulating each other on how well they made us believe they only wanted the painting to please their clients,” Jimin explained. Yoongi shook his head, his confusion deepening, “Why would they lie about something like that? Why would they make us think they didn’t care?” he questioned, only to receive a small shrug from his boyfriend. 

 

“Maybe they’re still a little upset about you and your brother uprooting, but they’re starting to understand and accept that you two are grown men who can make your own decisions. I think their pride is just keeping them from fully standing behind you,” the younger theorized. “Wow,” Yoongi mumbled with a shake of his head, “You think so?” Jimin nodded with a small smile, “Yea,” he answered, “That’s why we’re going to see your mom. The more you guys see each other and talk to each other, the closer you’ll get to reconnecting with your parents.”

 

Yoongi nodded and rested his head back against his seat, that made sense. His ears perked up when he heard his boyfriend say something else, “Besides, that’s not the only reason we’re going.” Yoongi glared suspiciously over at the younger, “What else have you overheard?” 

 

Jimin laughed and shook his head, “Nothing, I promise. It’s just, she still your mother and they’re still your parents,” he told his boyfriend, “You love them and they love you, don’t take having them for granted. I know how it feels to be orphaned, it’s awful to know I can never see my mom and dad again. I don’t want you to know that pain anytime soon, hyung.” Yoongi sighed and wrapped his arm around his boyfriend’s shoulder and pulled him closer, “OK, I get it. One mom and one dad, that’s all I have,” he playfully said, “I’ll try if they will.”


Mrs. Min looked up from her paperwork when she heard her office door swing open. “What are you doing here?” she asked as her son and his boyfriend filed into her office, hands behind their backs, “There’s no place for you here anymore.” “Relax mom,” Yoongi said stepping closer to her, “We didn’t come to argue, just to wish you a happy birthday.” He pulled a bouquet of white lilies from behind his back, they were his mom’s favorite. She had expensive tastes. Mrs. Min seemed positively taken aback as her son placed the bouquet in front of her.

 

“Happy birthday,” Jimin said as he pulled a cupcake from behind his back and set it on her desk beside the lilies. “Um, thank you,” she said picking up the flowers to smell them, “I wasn’t expecting to see you.” Yoongi grinned and nodded, “I know, I wasn’t expecting to come,” he replied as he reached up to adjust his snapback over his lifeless sandy hair. “So why did you?” she questioned cautiously, “We haven’t spoken in weeks.” 

 

She set the flowers back down and looked at her son wearily. Yoongi shrugged, “You’re still my mom and your birthday is important,” he said to her, “I do still love you.” Mrs. Min seemed touched, her son’s words sounded sincere, “White lilies are my favorite,” she admitted looking at her son, a smile tugging at the corners of her ruby-painted lips, “And I haven’t had a cupcake in a long time,” she said glancing over at Jimin. Seemed she really appreciated the gesture, which was all the couple wanted.

 

I don’t ever think I’ve seen that woman smile. Feels like I’m staring at a female Yoongi,’ Jimin thought with a smile. This was the first Min family moment he’d witnessed with no tension, the air seemed so calm. Yoongi cleared his throat, “I actually have something else for you eomma,” he mumbled as Jimin silently passed over a package to him. He placed the parcel in her hands and took a step back. He shoved his hands in his pockets and watched his mother tear open the thick yellow envelope. 

 

Jimin watched over his boyfriend’s shoulder curiously, he had absolutely no idea what Yoongi had under his sleeve. Mrs. Min pulled a bubble-wrapped frame from inside, “What is this?” she asked as she tore the bubble wrap off. She gasped loudly and covered with her hand, “Where did you find this?” she asked gazing down at the picture she held. 

 

It was the four of them: Her, her husband, Yoongi, and Juntao. It was their family, smiling and happy. Yoongi was young, maybe about 7, sitting in his big brother’s lap and both of their parents were sitting on either side of them. Yoongi’s arms were out stretched, he was obviously holding the camera taking their picture. ‘Aww that is so cute,’ Jimin thought, his insides turning into straight goo. His boyfriend could be so thoughtful sometimes.

 

“I’ve always had this picture, mom,” Yoongi easily revealed. He pressed his palms into her desk and looked down at the picture with her, “Do you remember that day?” he asked briefly glancing at her. She nodded as a few tears sprang to life in the corners of her eyes, “It was the day we bought you your first camera,” she said through a small smile, “You were so happy and excited.” 

 

“That was one of the best days of my life,” Yoongi replied smiling back, “I took that little camera everywhere.” “It was a cheap little thing, I bought it on a whim because I thought the little packaging design was adorable. I didn’t think much of it then, but now I see how that came to bite us in the ,” Mrs. Min sounded a little bitter, “Come to think of it, I think your dad bought Juntao his first paint set.” She shook her head, in retrospect maybe they didn’t have the best ideas.

 

“I kept that picture because it’s my favorite picture of us and because it was the day I was introduced to my passion,” he said as he sat down in one of the seats before her desk, “It’s one of my most valuable possessions.” Or maybe they did have some good ideas. Mrs. Min set the picture down amongst her other birthday gifts. “So why are you giving it to me?” she asked him, tearing her eyes away from the beautiful gift to look at her son expectantly.

 

Yoongi grinned and shrugged again, “I have no money to buy you a real gift,” he impishly answered. 

 

It was the first time in a long time that Yoongi laughed with his mother…and it felt amazing, like a wall was crumbling between them. Jimin smiled and watched his boyfriend and mom have their moment, it made him happy to see them happy. He hoped that this kind of thing wouldn’t happen sporadically from now on, that today would be the start of repairing the Mins’ estranged relationship. 

 

Silence filled up the office again when an employee poked his head inside, his arms loaded with files, “Excuse me,” he interrupted politely. “Come on Jiminnie, let’s go home,” Yoongi said grabbing ahold of his boyfriend’s elbow. “Happy birthday,” the younger called again before he was yanked out of the office. Mrs. Min fought off her smile again and turned her attention to the employee.


“So, clearly you’re 12 steps ahead of me,” Jimin commented as he and his boyfriend headed towards the train station. Yoongi chuckled, “What do you mean by that?” he asked, though he had an idea. “Here I was thinking I was going to have to force you to see your mom, but you already had plans to see her and bring her a heartfelt gift. Why didn’t you tell me you already had something planned for her?” Jimin asked through a smile as he bumped shoulders with him. 

 

Yoongi shoved his hands into his pockets again and answered, “Honestly, I was never planning on telling you because I was never planning on giving it to her in person.” “What are you talking about, Min Yoongi?” Jimin asked pushing his dark bangs out of his face. “I arranged to have that picture sent to her,” the elder explained as they turned a corner, “I had to ing intercept that package at the reception desk. It wasn’t just sitting there waiting on me to pick it up to take it to her.”

 

Jimin laughed at that, “Wow,” he said shaking his head, “No wonder the receptionist was holding on to it so tightly.” Yoongi nodded, “Thanks, by the way,” he said as he reached out and gripped his boyfriend’s wrist to halt him. “For what, Yoongi-hyung?” the younger asked him curiously. Yoongi smiled at the younger, “For forcing me to visit my mother. It was therapeutic to laugh with her again, I needed that…and I’m pretty sure she did too. It wasn’t much, but it was a step in the right direction,” he said pulling Jimin closer. 

 

Jimin grinned and wrapped his arms around the photographer’s torso, “I may not be able to have my family back, but you can,” he mumbled into his neck. Yoongi wrapped his arms around the younger’s shoulders and sighed contently, ‘I guess Jiminnie is taking care of me, too.