Absence

Perfectly Imperfect

For two weeks that followed, Hyoyeon was absent from classes. The first few days even though he noticed her absence, Luhan didn’t bother to enquire about her. She probably was caught up with something and it was not his concern. But slowly it started bothering him and by the end of the second week, he wanted to know what happened to her.

.

.

Hyoyeon glanced at the clock that read eleven O’ clock and let out a sigh of relief. Another hectic day at the restaurant was over for her.

“Amber” Hyoyeon called her coworker “you clean the tables. I will wash the plates.” She handed the tomboyish girl a piece of cloth and went into the kitchen. After tying up her hair and putting on rubber gloves, Hyoyeon the faucet but before she started washing the plates, Amber interrupted her.

“Hyo, someone is asking for you.” Amber said with a smug on her face. Hyoyeon rolled her eyes. “Is it him again?”

“Hoya?” Amber raised a brow at Hyoyeon as she removed the gloves. “He is still courting you?”

Hyoyeon muttered a weak yes and dried her hands. “I’ll go talk to him. I can’t give him the idea that something is possible between us.”

“Well, he is a nice guy.” Amber said and Hyoyeon gave her a look which made the girl clear . “But it’s not him.”

“Then?”

“I don’t know.” Amber shrugged. “I’ll wash the dishes. You go talk to whoever that cutie is.” She pushed Hyoyeon towards the exit.

Cutie?’ Hyoyeon wondered as she stepped into the hall. She smiled seeing the guy and slowly walked up to him. “The restaurant is closed for the day sir.”

“I’m new here so I wasn’t aware of that.” The guy said and then took the menu. “I would like to have one nice greeting for starters and for main course reason why you were absent for two weeks.” He showed a smug smile at her.

Hyoyeon pretended to write it down on an invisible note. “How about that’s none of your concern for dessert?”

“Ouch, that hurts.” He placed a hand on his chest acting hurt.

Hyoyeon kept her hands on each side of her hips. “Why are you here Luhan?”

“Just checking up on my classmate.” He shrugged nonchalantly. “You were absent for two weeks. Isn’t that long?”

“Not all people are rich like you Luhan.” She sighed. “Some people have to work to live.” She proceeded to clear the tables and wipe them clean.

 Luhan didn’t interrupt her and simply watched the girl while she finished her works. He was rich but he was never stuck up. He knew the fact that some people were not born with silver spoon in their mouth and had to struggle to meet the ends. But what surprised him was Hyoyeon being one of them. She never looked like a girl who had to work her off to pay for her food. But on a second thought, who was he to judge someone he barely knew.

 

“Isn’t it risky to go home alone at this time of night?” It was five minutes to midnight and Luhan had insisted on accompanying the girl to her home. It wasn’t cold since it was summertime.

Gripping onto the straps of her backpack, Hyoyeon replied. “I choose the safest path to home.”

“Well, you can’t be hundred percent sure about your safety even if that is the case.”

“You can’t be hundred percent sure even if it is broad daylight Luhan.” Hyoyeon laughed. “Besides, I have no other option.”

Luhan cleared his throat contemplating on whether to ask her further about her personal life. He didn’t want to be nosy but he wanted to quench his burning curiosity. He was also worried thinking that it could be a sensitive topic for her. Hyoyeon sensed that he wanted to ask her something.

“You want to ask something?”

“I do but..”

“Ask.” She cut him off.

“But I don’t know if it’s too personal or not.”

“Nothing’s too personal about me. Go ahead and ask.” She urged him.

“Why do you need to work from morning till night? Don’t your parents..” He trailed off.

“Oh my parents are alive and well.” She laughed.

Luhan waved his hands. “No, I didn’t mean it like that.”

“I know you didn’t.” She smiled. “Right now we are short on money. My parents’ business is not doing well at the moment.”

Luhan’s mouth formed an ‘o’ and he nodded. “You are not bankrupt or anything, are you?”

“Oh no, it’s just off season.” She explained. “So they don’t have many customers. Till they get enough customers, they won’t be able to support me financially. This happens every year so I’m used to it.”

“Every year? What do they do?” Luhan asked as they turned around the alley.

“By now, you should be able to guess what it is.” She shook her head. “Use your brain.” She said playfully.

Something that is off season during summer time.’ “Skiing?!” He snapped his fingers.

“Spot on!” She laughed. Luhan smiled seeing her adorable laugh.

“So your parents only do that?”

“Yeah, that’s the only thing that they love to do.”

“Love to do?” Luhan laughed but it sounded to her like he was mocking her.

“What’s so funny about it?” She squinted her eyes to get a better view of his handsome face under the neon street light.

He shrugged casually. “I don’t know. So it’s okay even if there is shortage of money and that their daughter has to struggle to meet her living expenses? Isn’t that living life reckless?”

Hyoyeon gave out a light laugh. “I don’t think I’m struggling. I like being independent and earning money for myself. As for my parents, they are happy with what they have. After all, life is not about how full your wallet is.”

Luhan furrowed his brows. “Then what is life about?”

“Life is all about being happy Luhan.”

“So you are saying that it’s okay to starve as long as you are happy?”

“No, I didn’t mean it that way.” She reduced her pace. “We can’t afford luxurious items but we can buy necessities. We may be poor but when it comes to happiness, we are among the richest.” She said proudly holding her head up high.

“I..I don’t understand.”

Hearing Luhan, she couldn’t help but laugh. “It’s nothing complex Luhan. Despite having high educational qualifications, my parents chose to start a skiing business because that’s what they loved to do. They may not be earning a lot but they are living their life to fullest every single day. They are spending their life without any regrets with the person they love the most.”

Luhan was still unsure about many things but before he could shoot her with more queries, the blonde spoke.

“Since you are already here, why don’t we have the sleepover I talked about last time?”

“Sleepover?” Luhan’s eyes widened. “You mean today?” He tensed at the mere thought of it.

“Yes, today. Now come with me.” She got hold of his wrist and pulled him along with her.

Luhan had never done anything without seeking permission from his parents. This girl was forcing him out of his comfort zone to do things he has never done before. He felt his nerves tingling with slight nervousness and excitement. He didn’t stop her. He let her drag him to her apartment because this was what he had asked for, what he wanted.