two

Reckless Serenade

 

Nam Woohyun and I got closer as weeks passed. We exchanged small talks about random things and held short conversations along the halls almost every day; introductions amongst secrets. 

 

One evening, I ate lunch as quickly as I could before running to my locker. I opened the steel barrier between gasps and pants as I searched frantically for particular white bottle - which I found was sitting on the edge of the second base. I left out a relieved sigh before twisting the cap open and gulping down one tablet. Medication is a must take after lunch hours, but I forgot to bring one to the cafeteria today. 

 

I've always had a weak heart, a systolic heart failure to be exact.  It , really, when my heart loses some of its ability to contact because it weakens me, both physically and mentally, and this was the only secret I kept hidden from Woohyun.

 

I looked at my wrist watch that read: 10:11. I decided to borrow a book from the library since I still have exactly 18 minutes and 56 seconds left to spare until English starts. Sliding the door open, I walked slowly, preventing any disturbing noises as my eyes travelled up and down to find my favorite book.

 

I frowned as I saw that it was placed right at the highest shelf. I blew a raspberry before tiptoeing and reaching out my hand to get a hold on that book.

 

A bigger, darker arm with veins reached up and grabbed the book down before I could reach it. I turned around and gasp at the closeness of that book thief's grinning face.

 

"Hey," he said.

 

I pushed him lightly so that I could breathe again before muttering, "What are you doing here?"

 

"What? Do you not want my company?" he asked, his eyebrows creased together as he clutched his chest, pretending to be in pain.

 

I rolled my eyes, snatched my book from his grasp, and walked to one of the tables. I was halfway through the first page when Woohyun walked over, stopping at my table.

 

I raised both my eyebrows playfully as I watched him pulling out the chair in front of me. "Who said you could join me?" I asked.

 

"I did," he simply replied. "Plus, you don't have the heart to shoo me away."

 

It's because I literally have a weak heart, I thought.

 

Clearing my throat, I proceeded back on reading until I felt a heated stare on my face. I looked up from my book, only to see Woohyun's face resting on both his palms with his eyes fixed on mine.Woohyun's face resting on both his palms with his eyes fixed on mine.

 

"Is there something on my face?" I asked, slightly uncomfortable at his gaze.

 

"Nope," he said as he leaned back. "I'm just wondering on why you, out of all people, would want to waste your precious remaining lunch time on reading Twilight, rather than chatting with your friends."

 

I shrugged. "Maybe it's because I find myself enjoying getting drawn inside a book than hanging out in the cafeteria."

 

"But a teen love story like that is ridiculous," he pointed out with an annoyed look on his face. "Vampires and werewolves don't exist, and there would be no happy endings for a vampire and a human. It's ridiculous, it's madness."

 

I agreed with him on that but having those words come out from Woohyun, it doesn't seem to be right.

 

", I'm late. Now Bald Lee would surely kill me," he grunted.

 

Woohyun stood up and ruffled my hair with a smile on his face. "See you later, Jihye-ah." he said, slightly waving coolly as he walked down the reading corner.

 

I smiled and waved back before finally coming up with a remark at his earlier statement, "Maybe it's not about the happy ending, maybe it's about the story. Maybe while you call it madness, I call it love."