eight

Reckless Serenade

 

I clutched the slightly crumpled letter in my hands as I brought my knees up, hugging them. I fixed my gaze on the floor with a deep sigh.

 

Dear Park Jihye,

                If you have found this letter, it means that there is a high possibility that I wasn't able to survive my surgery or that I had to continue my studies in Paris. But it also means that you've figured out my riddles by yourself! Isn't that great? You're not a birdbrain after all :]

                Anyway, I wrote this letter before my departure, right before I played the piano for you. I'm sorry for not telling you earlier about my sickness, but I just couldn't help it every time I see your smiling face. It's because of my sickness that I became a coward.

                I'm afraid, Jihye-ah. I'm afraid that you won't accept me after knowing my flaw, I'm afraid you won't accept my one-sided love ever since our first grade together. Don't you still remember? Your hair was tied into two cute braids while your mouth was smeared with chocolate icing. I fell for you ever since. But I was thankful for being informed that I need to disappear from your sight for awhile, for it boosted up my confidence to approach you. I'm stupid, I know.

                By writing you this letter, I want you to know that I want you, but I can't have you, can I? I want you to know, if, just if you feel the same way about me, wait for me. I'll wait for your answer by the time I see you again. I'll fight for my recovery, I'll fight until I can finish my unfinished serenade.

                I'll fight until I can come up with the right words for you. I'll wait for you until I can breathe again.

Love, Nam Woohyun.

 

Four years passed after I lost a friend. All that is left for me were our picture together, his serenade lingering in my ears, and a letter. I would always visit the music room during free period and sit on the corner of the room as I fixed my gaze on the abandoned piano, waiting for his unfinished serenade to play again.

 

But it never did.

 

The high-pitched bell rang and it received a low groan from me. I was now in charge of the ballet class while Eunbyul was away. I walked ever so slowly to the dance room and faked a smile.

 

"Jihye sunbae!" One of the students came to me with her usual cheerful smile.

 

"Good morning to you too, Chaerin." I smiled and clasped my hands together, loud enough to grab the remaining attention.

 

When I saw that all their attention were fixed to me, I cleared my throat before proceeding, "Alright class, we'll continue last week's rehearsal."

 

Chaerin raised her hand and spoke after I gestured her to, "Can we practice with another song?"

 

"And why is that?" I asked.

 

"Because I heard it before and it totally suits our theme," she said.

 

"Alright then," I nodded, "Move to your places."

 

Chaerin pressed the 'play button' on the stereo before moving to her spot. The soft melody echoed around the mirrored room. I observed their movements for awhile before I was frozen on the spot.

 

"C-Chaerin, where did you get this song?" I asked all of a sudden, disturbing the choreo.

 

She shrugged, "Some guy gave it to me saying that we should use it for our dance choreo and I totally agreed after-"

 

I cut her off as I ran out the door. I bumped past students and slightly bowed right after before storming inside the music room. Despite my high hopes, again, the music room was empty.

 

I sighed before turning around, and that was when I locked eyes with two dark brown orbs.

 

He looked at me, that first day, like he had just found something he'd lost a thousand years ago.

 

"Hey," he said.

 

A tear slipped from my eye as I run into his arms, not caring that my tears will surely leave a stain on his white shirt.

 

We looked at each other a little too long to be 'just friends'.

 

After years of thinking, I finally found the right answer for his question. Love isn't affection, love is something that grows and blossoms, something that dies and wilts, something that happens in the beginning and happens in the end, something that can me cry and can make me smile and can make me brave.

 

Isn't that right, Nam Woohyun?

 


hey guys, thank you for giving this story a shot. this is a vomit of words seriously, but i actually enjoyed writing this because i've been spazzing a lot about namu keke. i also wrote this in hopes that any kind of sickness wouldn't let your hopes down; i have an acquaintance who is diagnosed with a sickness and gave up just like that. let me tell you: THERE IS HOPE FOR EVERYONE, DON'T EVER GIVE UP. all you have to do is pray, eat lots of nutritious food, and get treatment done.i hope you like this story and perhaps, maybe,

i hope you like this story and perhaps, maybe, upvote?