seven

Reckless Serenade

 

Right after ballet, I walked through the almost empty hall with exhaustion written all over my body. My bangs were wet due to sweat and I was sure my stench was all over the place.

 

I sat on the bench near the parking lot as I fiddled with my phone while waiting for Mom to pick me up.

 

Suddenly, my Pororo ringtone rang and I pressed the green button after seeing the caller ID.

 

I pressed my phone against my ear, "Hey," I said.

 

I waited for a greeting, a voice, anything, but it didn't come. I furrowed my eyebrows and looked at the screen. Our call was still connected for sure, but why was there no reply?

 

I shrugged as I traced the clouds dancing in the orange sky, "You know, you should at least speak something if you want to call me."

 

Again, the person didn't reply. I sighed, my ear picking up the person's gentle, calm breathing, and I was sure that he could hear mine too. I waited the call to be dropped, but it didn't.

 

We basked in silence for five, ten, twenty minutes.

 

Finally, I could hear the person's faint voice as he said, "Goodbye."

 

"Bye," I said, thinking that that person was joking or something.

 

It was then when two girls from my class stood right next to me. I gave them a small smile and a wave as they mimicked my movements. I was about to stand up and walk to the school hall when the girl opened to her friend.

 

"Do you know about Class 2-1's Nam Woohyun?" She asked.

 

I raised an eyebrow, slightly curious.

 

"Yeah," her friend replied, "What about him?"

 

"I overheard his conversation with the principal earlier. He said that he was going to Paris today for his treatment."

 

"Treatment? What treatment?"

 

The girl shrugged, "I don't know, but from what I've heard, he is diagnosed with leukimia."

 

I gasped, making the two gossiping girls turn to my direction with a face. I gave them an apologetic smile before walking away from the parking lot, my mind slightly dizzy and my heart pounding.

 

His riddles have been solved together: our first meeting where he talked to me for the first time, when he approached me with a 'Medication for Leukemia' book, something that wants to go question, his sudden concern about my sickness, his sad smile, and his serenade.

 

They weren't riddles, they were clues. Clues that indicates his disappearance.

 

"Goodbye,"

 

"Bye."

 

First you made my heart beat, then you beat my heart.

 

Why are you so mean, Nam Woohyun?

 

Without a second thought, I ran.