four

Reckless Serenade

 

After the small talk at the park, we decided to stop by for coffee at a nearby cafe.

 

"Thanks for the treat," I smiled.

 

"No problem," he said as he sipped his cappuccino.

 

"So..." Woohyun trailed off, like he was hesitating to say something.

 

"What?" I tilted my head a little.

 

"I heard," he began, "No, I know you suffered from a systolic heart failure."

 

I choked on my hot chocolate as I grabbed a napkin from the table before wiping my lips. I stared at him with pursed lips and noticed the serious expression on his face.

 

"I am," I said after a moment of silence. "Why are you so interested in that?"

 

"Because I care about you," he said.

 

I was slightly taken aback by his answer. His tone was cold and dead serious, his expression was unreadable, and he spoke right to the point, no chit chat, no alibis.

 

"W-Why?" I croaked.

 

He brushed off my question with a disapproving sigh, "Why didn't you tell me earlier? Do you know that it was dangerous if you jog around all sweaty like that? What if your heart stopped after the intense exercise?"

 

"It wasn't intense," I murmured softly as I looked down.

 

He softened when he noticed my guilty-for-not-telling-my-best-friend-earlier face. He used his index finger to tilt my head up, forcing me to look right into his dark brown orbs.

 

"Just," he said, "Just be careful and never forget to take medications regularly, okay?"

 

I nodded with a small smile as Woohyun ruffled my hair gently, almost like he was holding a fragile vase.

 

I had a dream that very night.

 

The scenery was peaceful except for the roaring sound of the waterfall. I looked around, my eyes wandering around the green field barefooted. Birds were chirping, singing a happy song as they flew away from the branches. I could spot some squirrels munching on some nuts with their big teeth.

 

My feet stopped walking as I reached the edge of a stream. I stared at the boy whose body was glowing and whose outfits were alike mine, all white. It felt like a never ending staring contest as none of us doesn't seem like wanting to give up.

 

He stood on the other edge of the stream, and with a smile, he said, "Hey,"

 

"Hey," I said.

 

He strode towards me, his posture demanding and graceful. The wind was howling as the tall grass rustled under my bare feet. The boy stopped right in front of me, his hand reached out to tuck a stray of hair behind my ear.

 

I looked at his feet and pants--which the ends had changed into a darker shade of white--that was wet as he stood in the shallow, cold water.

 

He smiled once more before enclosing the gap between us as I felt something soft planted on my forehead.

 

It was a happy dream.

 

I woke up wanting his lips on mine. I woke up wanting his arms around my waist. I woke up wanting our hands laced together. I woke up wanting to gaze in his eyes.

 

I woke up wanting Nam Woohyun.