five

Reckless Serenade

 

Meet me at the audio room after first period.

- W

 

I closed my locker as I eyed the letter, obviously knowing who 'W' is. With a smile, I grabbed my textbooks and scurried to the audio room just beside my next class, praying that I won't be late after meeting the not-so-mysterious 'W'.

 

The creaking sound echoed around the empty room as I poked my head into the room. My lips tugged down into a frown the moment I saw that no one was there. The room was still and quiet, the chairs were neatly placed on the corners of the room and there were only one source of light coming from the middle of the room.

 

"Is this a prank?" I put my hands on my hips as I furrowed my eyebrows.

 

"It definitely is," I heard a deep, low voice from the back which startled me to the point that I let out a small yelp.

 

I turned around and was greeted by a chocolate with vanilla creamed cupcake topped with rainbow sprinkles, my favorite.

 

My eyes widened when two lit candles were placed on top of the cupcake. Two lit candles which read : 17th.

 

"Happy birthday, Park Jihye!" Woohyun smiled as he handed me the cake.

 

"B-But h-how did you-"

 

"Don't blame me," he said as he shrugged playfully, "Take a look at your SNS, it's full of people wishing you a happy birthday."

 

"Really?" My eyes brightened, but the twinkles in them dimmed down when I forgot that I left my phone at home today.

 

"Yeah," he chuckled before inching towards me.

 

The candle was now the source of the light in the room. I looked up at Woohyun whose tall body towered over me and was thankful that he couldn't see my flushed cheeks in dim light.

 

"Make a wish," he said.

 

I closed my eyes and clasped both hands together.

 

When I opened my eyes, I was greeted once again by Woohyun who was aiming his Polaroid camera at me. A snap sound was heard and the photo came out from his Polaroid. Woohyun snatched it before breaking into the loudest laugh I've heard so far.

 

"What? What's wrong?" I asked as I inched towards him, trying to grab the picture from his hands as he pried them off between laughs.

 

I jumped and snatched it away from it. "Got it!" I screamed for my victory but my screams turned into a desperate whale sound after I saw the hideous picture of me.

 

"I'm so keeping that," he said as he snatched it away from me again.

 

I pouted as I crossed my arms.

 

"Alright, alright," he smiled, "Because it's your birthday, let's take a picture together for our memories."

 

I nodded eagerly and closed the gap between our bodies.

 

Snap!

 

When the picture came out, Woohyun took a long look at it before handing it to me with his genuine smile, "Keep it."

 

"Thanks, Woohyun." I said as I stared at our picture.

 

I was making a weird face with a peace sign while Woohyun was just smiling. His smile was adorable, charming, handsome, sweet. But there was something off about his smile.

 

For the sweetest smile holds the darkest secrets.

 

I looked at Woohyun who was now grinning at my candid photo earlier. With a sigh, I mumbled my birthday wish.

 

"I wish for us, me and you. I don't care how hard being together is, nothing is worse than being apart."