one

Reckless Serenade

 

The skies were grey, decorated with wisps or clouds here and there. The cement sidewalk is still damp from the short, sudden shower earlier this evening and the grass is a bit darker than its usual color. The smell of fresh rain lingered in the air as I took a deep breath.

 

This is my favorite part of a rainy day: the aftermath.

 

There weren't many people left in school, due to the fact that it stopped raining barely an hour ago. I stood outside the school hall, waiting for Mom to pick me up under an awning. While impatiently grunting every now and then, I felt something wet splash on my nose, but when I look up, it doesn't seem to be raining.

 

I shifted my gaze a little bit to the left and saw a huge tree with its leaves dripping some raindrops to the ground. Slowly, I stretched my hand out on the open, catching them with a smile on my face. It was then when I felt another presence beside me, his hand sticking out on the open just like mine, catching the raindrops.

 

Without withdrawing my hand, I turned my head to his direction, staring at the lean, muscular, brown haired boy.

 

For what seemed like hours, I couldn't bring myself to snap out from staring at his perfect side-view. The boy sighed before turning his head towards my direction without withdrawing his hand either and smiled. "Hey," he said.

 

Ah, I thought I've seen him somewhere - which in fact I did. He goes to the same school as me and after being enrolled in the same school together for the past nine years, never once had we had the same class before. We also hadn't held a conversation before though he acknowledged me, but we exchanged silent greetings along the hallways - sometimes a quick nod and other times a quick glance.

 

For what I knew, there's also a reason on why we hadn't shared even the tiniest talk before. He was plenty popular, as he was part of the student council and our school volley team's MVP, and if we add his smoky, y look, he could even rule this school. But he was also popular due to his title, 'The Mute Freak'.

 

The rumors were that he would only open his mouth to his close friends and sometimes, very rarely, in class for answering the teacher's questions. Other than that, he would only nod and isolate himself in the school library.

 

Apparently, Mute Freak had a name. Woohyun, Nam Woohyun, the only boy in school who has managed to capture my attention. He wasn't like the others and that's what makes me want to know more about him, simply because he intrigue me.

 

"Hey," I said with a smile that reached my eyes.

 

"It's nice, isn't it? The aftermath." Woohyun said as he withdraw his hand and buried it inside his pocket as he shifted his gaze to the dark grey clouds surrounding the sky.

 

I nodded and copied his movements. "Yeah, it has always been my favorite part of a rainy day."

 

"Guess we have something in common after all, huh?" he said while grinning.

 

I smiled.

 

Just then, my Pororo ringtone rang. I took my phone out from my bag and pressed it against my ear. "Hello?" I said, and after a few nods, I hung up and turned to look at Woohyun with a smile, "I got to go."

 

He too, smiled at me before nodding as I left him.

 

It wasn't love at first sight, it took a full five minutes.