Eric and the holidays II.

Daily Fantasies of Eric Mun

 

Out of the blue a heavy snowstorm swept through Seoul - many said the greatest in the history of the city - on New Year’s Eve, paralyzing the transport and its life completely.

It was so sudden – after all until then only just a tiny amount of snow covered the streets – everyone was shocked by the fact they had to become the prisoners of their own homes, after all the chance they could go anywhere besides using their legs was rather meagre.

Flights were cancelled, on the roads you could find accidents every second steps, shops - that should have been open – closed, and actually it was not advised to sit into a car even on the safest parts of the city, because there was a high chance you won’t move from the spot until you are either saved or the snow melted.

Eric was unbelievably annoyed as he was sitting on his sofa watching the news, loosing more and more hope he would ever be able to leave his home – or at least for a while.

Other times he would not be bothered to be honest, after all on his days off he just lazes around sleeping, eating and watching TV, but this time he wanted to do something different that required him leaving his house:

He wanted to go home for the New Years, he wanted to spend some time with his parents and facing the fact he can’t do this because of this idiotic white, cold and uncomfortable frozen water that had to fall down specifically this day kind of broke his heart.

He felt bad after all his parents were waiting for him eagerly with delicious meals and the warmth only parents can give their children, and when he talked to them about an hour ago he heard in their voices how sad they were and so this did not help Eric’s mood either.

But there was nothing to be done about it, as his mother told him, too: “it’s better to be safe, you can come over once it’s not dangerous to sit into a car. I would worry if we made you come all the way here when the roads are in such a horrible condition.”

In the end he just decided to stay home, sit on his sofa, watch TV and drink a cup of something he finds at home at midnight then go to sleep – once one reaches a certain age they don’t really feel like partying during the New Year’s and honestly, Eric just wished to rest – something that he could have done at his parents’ the most, he would be able to ignore even their nagging about how he should get married and have children.

However, the more time had passed the lonelier it got to sit in his dark living room, him all by himself not having anything to do to pass time.

He was actually very much used to the ‘liveliness’, to be among people and rarely ‘hearing silence’, but only when he was alone at home after a tiring day. It was not a surprise considering his job, also, the members cannot be titled as quiet or serious people bringing peace to Eric, they gave each other hell and loved to bother everyone even when they were not promoting – and it’s not like Eric minded it for even a moment. He was used to this and loved being with the members, he was grateful he had them. No wonder, he thought of them as brothers – well except for Hyesung… one does not have explicit fantasies about his brother.

And so, the cold silence of his home made him feel lonely and he felt miserable feeling like this a few hours before the end of the year. However, he was not sure whom to call, he had no idea what the others were doing – though he was kind of sure they did not have many plans either considering the weather -, and he did not really want to bother them.

Even though they loved to do that to each other, still, there is a huge difference between ‘bothering’ and ‘bothering’. It’s not always appropriate – even among 10+ years friends.

 

He dozed off when he was dragged back to reality by the vibrating of his phone on his stomach. It was already way too dark, only the TV screen – with some typical Christmas movie – gave some light to the room.

He looked at the screen which showed there was only about two hours until midnight (“should I just go to sleep”), then he unlocked his screen only to see he received a text message from no one else, but the almighty Shin Hyesung and this surprised Eric.

It was weird and he did not know what to feel because these days Hyesung was just… well, weird.

Like during Christmas the cake incident – it was the ugliest piece of cake Eric had ever seen, still, the singer, who loved to maintain distance when it comes to Eric, went out his way to give it to him and he even kept him company – and this is how they spent Christmas Eve together, only just the two of them and this never once happened before.

Sure, that idyllic situation did not last long, because Hyesung suddenly got mad at him for a reason Eric had no idea about even until this day. And this kind of annoyed him, because Hyesung stayed mad at him – Eric was sure about this, after all the singer was more rejecting with him than usual and from time to time Eric noticed him looking at him with a frustrated expression, then he just turned away letting out a loud sigh as if he was saying ‘what an idiot’.

And Eric did not have the slightest idea what he did to deserve Shin Hyesung’s anger and so these days he thought he really must be an idiot.

‘Are you home’ No question mark, no anything else, only these three quite raw words came from the singer – and Eric’s loved one, whom he never dared to mention to his parents when they nagged him to get married - , still, this short messages made his heart flutter… just like kind of anything else Hyesung said or did.

He must be drunk or something – Eric thought as he replied to the text saying yes.

Moments later a new text from Hyesung followed Eric’s reply - ‘Come over if you want to.’

Eric lifted his eyebrows again – Hyesung seemed to be full of surprises these days -, he did not dare to believe in his own eyes and so he read the message for like a thousand times before with a wide grin he only texted ‘I’ll be over there in a minute’.

He felt like a dog that jumps only for a whistle, but he did not mind it this time.

At least he won’t be alone.

At least it’s Hyesung…

 

“Come in.” Hyesung said munching on a pack of chips as he opened the door for Eric.

“Hey, I’ve thought you are angry at me.” Eric entered Hyesung’s home, took off his shoes and followed the singer to the living room. “I don’t know why though.”

“You really are stupid, huh?” He replied tired. “Ah, I don’t care anymore. You are a complete waste of time and effort. So disappointing.”

“Don’t be rude.” Eric grumbled as he sat down onto Hyesung’s sofa and treated himself from a snack on the smoking table. “I can’t know what’s going on in that pretty head of yours.”

He only received a smack on his head. “Just for you to know, you were the last person I’ve thought of when I was thinking about whom I should invite over.” Hyesung said in his usual way-too-proud-to-admit tone as he sat down, too, and reached for the remote control to find something watchable.

“Yeah, yeah, I know.” Eric replied and stuffed his mouth with snacks. “Anyway, you did not have anything for today?”

“I had. But it got defunct thanks to the weather.” He mumbled then he suddenly turned to Eric, his eyes were burning with rage and in an indignant tone he continued. “What is this even? What’s with the tons of snow?! It barely snowed like 1-2 days and then melted the whole winter, now the weather makes up for it or what?!”

“I know, I know.” Eric nodded and patted his shoulder as comforting. “My plans were messed up, too. I wanted to go over to my parents’, but they said I should not sit into a car now.”

“You still have public transport, you idiot.” Hyesung said looking at him from the corner of his eyes. Eric kind of got angry, the singer was like he got up on the wrong side of the bed. Anyway, Eric did not like the way he talked to him and did not plan to stay quiet.

“Same goes for you. But… Yah, don’t you think you talk to me quite disrespectfully these days? And anyway don’t you think you call me an idiot way too often?”

For a few moments both of them were silent, then Hyesung just sighed and said “Sorry.”

“Did something happen?” Eric asked honestly concerned after all the singer was surely weird. However, Hyesung only looked at him with a surprised expression.

“No?” He looked confused. “Why do you ask…?”

“You are weird.” Eric shrugged his shoulders. “I’m worried.”

Eric did not get the reaction he wanted – can it be anything. He was not really sure what he was waiting for, like Hyesung breaking down sobbing telling him his life story – though more or less he knew his life story -, or telling him there was nothing going on and it was only his fantasy playing tricks on him… as always.

But this was something he definitely did not except.

Because Shin Hyesung instead of crying or getting angry only threw his head back and laughed, laughed so hard his tears came out and Eric did not understand him at all. Did he say something funny? Or did his friend go mad? He was not sure. The only thing he knew was Hyesung giving him goosebumps and not in the pleasant meaning and Eric now was even more worried about his mental health.

“Really…” A few moments later Hyesung finally stopped laughing, wiped off his tears and still smiling and with shining eyes – Eric could not decide if it was because of the tears or something different – he said. “You just cannot be hated, can you?”

“Jung Pilgyo… did you go crazy? Should I call someone?”

“Idiot.” He mumbled under his nose, reached towards the table, took a bottle and filled two glasses – already prepared beforehand - and gave one of them to Eric. “Let’s just drink.”

“How much did you drink so far?”

“Oh just shut up and drink it while I say nicely.” He growled impatient and gently hit his shoulder when sat close to him so they could toast.

Both of them drank their own fill and Hyesung was already there again re-filling their glasses making Eric look at him worried and ask again: “No, seriously, how much did you drink so far?”

“Not enough... not enough.” Hyesung only replied and for a moment – but only for a really short moment that could have been overseen if Eric was not scanning Hyesung’s face closely – there was a trace of sadness in the singer’s eyes and this was like a sharp knife being slowly pushed into Eric’s heart. It hurt.

And this was the moment Eric was sure something was going on with his friend, something he did not tell anyone…

 

It was only a few minutes until midnight and so, the start of the New Year. Both of them drank quite a handful of alcohol, still, for some weird reason none of them were drunk, they were as sober as if they only drank water until now.

Everything Eric could feel was a weird excitement, no wonder. Hyesung was sitting close to him drinking from his glass from time to time, simply chatting about trivial things. Nothing important, they were just talking and laughing together and for Eric this was a time he was sure he is going to cherish until the rest of his life.

“It’s the new year soon.” Hyesung said after a long silence, while both of them just stared at the TV screen.

He was playing with his now empty glass, his cheeks were slightly flushed and his face was decorated with a pale smile and Eric thought Hyesung was beautiful. In the darkish room being lit by the weak light of the lamp and TV screen he looked like a sculpture carved with heartbreakingly strong love.

“Yeah.” Eric mumbled a reply trying not to make it too obvious he was staring at the singer.

“Do you have anything you wish will come true in the next year?” Asked Hyesung suddenly and this caused the leader have a blank mind.

Well, not exactly blank. He had many wishes, but for some reason all of them were related to Hyesung. He wished to spend more time with him – which will come true thanks to their comeback -, he wished to get closer, he wished for his smile and eyes to be only directed at him, he wished he had feelings for him, he wished to… He wished for Hyesung’s love.

In the end he just shrugged his shoulders and replied: “Successful promotions. And you?”

He rubbed his face – he looked tired -, looked up in the corner of his eyes thinking hard, then he shrugged his shoulders, too, and looking at Eric he replied “I guess the same. And I want us to be happy.”

“Well aren’t you a real saint…” Eric grinned teasing only to receive a hit on his shoulder.

“Should I bring champagne?” Hyesung asked and he was ready to stand up and go to the kitchen, but Eric waved him off..

“Nah, this” He pointed at the soju and beer. “is good enough.”

Hyesung did not reply, but sat back down onto the sofa and watched the time on the screen slowly counting down to midnight.

They heard the fireworks from outside, when Eric turned to Hyesung smiling, lifting his glass saying “Happy New Year Hyesungie~”.

Hyesung smiled back at him and lifted his glass to clink it with Eric’s also saying “Happy new Year”, but when their glasses touched something happened. They did not move from that position.

It was like as if time froze when their eyes met. There was something in the air, something between them and it reminded Eric of the scene in the studio during Christmas, when their noses accidentally touched.

It was the same, but this time it was enough for their gazes to met, to drown in each others’ eyes. Eric’s hand was trembling, he felt hot, his lips were dry and he could not look away, he did not want to look away.

He never realized when it happened, but he started to move towards Hyesung. He knew he should not do it, but he did not control his body anymore. However, what surprised him was Hyesung doing exactly the same. His expression was fogged and his face was coming closer and closer to Eric’s…

‘Ah, it must be my imagination…’ The sad thought came to him suddenly and like this he decided to just go with the flow, after all none of this was real. He just wanted to kiss Hyesung right at that moment and wait for coming back to his senses and realize he was actually at home all along and never was invited over by Hyesung.

But this is not what happened.

Suddenly the doorbell rang throwing off both of them, only to watch each other with widened eyes. They just sat like that and stare at the other as if they had committed (or almost committed) the biggest sin ever, then Hyesung just jumped up and ran to the entrance when they heard the bell again.

Eric was confused. Utterly confused. He was not sure if he was dreaming (being deep in sleep on his sofa) or this actually happened and there really was a spark between him and Hyesung. He was not sure Shin Hyesung actually silently agreed and leaned towards him for a kiss.

An almost kiss with Hyesung.

He did not know anymore what was going on and he felt uncomfortable. Should he believe in the atmosphere they had? Because that definitely was not the kind friends for 10+ have between and around them. Definitely not. That was so much more and Eric was not sure about it, or more like he did not dare to believe it.

However, he had no time to think. He heard familiar voices coming from the entrance and this kind of calmed him and he let out a relieved sigh.

He stood up and walked there only to see all the members entering with wide grins on their faces telling one by one and all at once how their plans were cancelled by the snow and they actually had a huge walk to Hyesung’s home as they met up at various places, even bought some food and drink from home to have a huge feast and drinking party.

Eric did not mind it at all. He was sure if Hyesung and him stayed alone everything would have been extremely awkward… with or without a kiss. He was grateful the members suddenly showed up and he was honestly happy he could spend this night with them – or at least this is how he felt until Lee Minwoo pulled out a mistletoe out of somewhere, held it above him and Hyesung and kissed him right on the lips… making Eric having his until so honest grin freeze onto his face.


The realization of the New Year’s kiss being stolen by Minwoo (and not him, even though he was so close to it) hit him hard.
For the first time Eric Mun wished this was all just a bad dream and actually, he was home all along sleeping deeply on his sofa.

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

A/N:

So hello again *no, it's not like I just uploaded the previous chapter like... a minute ago...*
I just finished this one (this is why it not really nice... OTL but my deadline was Sunday, and Sunday ends in 40 minutes...).
Hope you had fun?
I'm going to be honest here... if you are confused about this chapter and what's actually going on here... doN't feel bad.
Because I'm the one who wrote it, but I have no idea what's going on here either xD I just went with my insticts and wrote whatever came to me and this is how it turned out... xD
Anyway, Hyesung's way of acting is connected to what happened in the previous chapter. And if you understood why Hyesung got angry that time, then this one is more understandable, too. I guess? Anyway, if not, don't worry, in the last chapter Jung Pilgyo will tell us everything himself. I mean to Eric. And you can read it. *it's too night for me, I'm sorry if I sound... weird...*
Anyway this chapter is a bit... depressing? It has a bit of drama, and because all or some of you know that I love drama, so this was inevitable... xD Anyway, the following chapters will have a bit of drama, too, but I'll try to hold myself back, after all this is kind of rom-com in the first place.

Anyway, this and the previous chapter, too, should have been updated on Christmas and New Year's Eve, but you know I'm just bad with schedules and how could I upload something that was not even a thing that time... xD
Also, if there are some typos, I'm sorry. I've re-read it and edited, but my eyes are closing by themselves, so...yeah...

Oh, and PSA:
Even though somewhere I've talked about how this is going to be 12 chapters long, I've decided I'm going to shorten it and it's going to end in 10 chapters + probably an epilogue. You might ask why.

Well, unlike my other stories I plan from step to step, this series is perfectly improvised. This would have ended in 1 chapter if I was not encouraged to turn it into a series. So basically, I did not plan any of these, they all just came to me out of the blue. This is why it was kind of hard to write it, too, after all I had to connect all the chapters still maintain the 'original purpose' - aka the comic one-shot fantasies - which I think I've managed to fail xD. The thing is that I have the last chapter in mind, but I have no idea what to write in 3 chapters without having it forced and 'long-drawn'. So I've decided I can finish up the whole thing in two chapters and add an epilogue as a close

So, I guess this is all I want to say? I think so.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter, too
Take care~
(so sorry, my A/N turned out to be like... half of a chapter??!!)

 

P.S.: I've wanted to upload two M rated one-shots, too, but eh... as I've said a few times now, I'm bad with schedules. xD