Chapter 3

The story of us.

“I love her. Help us please.”

That phrase was enough to break anyone. In addition, Jong Kook had said it very sincerely. Too sincerely actually, that it caused a guilty pang in PD Myuk’s heart. Was this what they created in variety shows? Viewers’ happiness and joy in exchange for their own freedom? Never once he thought that this scenario was possible. Yes, they were still human, people… Not just celebrities that he could use for his benefit and he, as a PD, had forgotten about it.

“When did this happen? I’m sorry... That came out wrong. I mean… I’ve been working with Jong Kook since Family Outing. And Jihyo, we were acquaintances since I knew you in Inkigayo. I just never expected this between the two of you.” PD Myuk began.

“It’s a long story PD-nim. And I don’t think it’s safe for us to tell it her. How about, maybe we have a drink after filming today?” Jong Kook offered

“But filming is going to end around 5 in the morning Jong Kook-ah. You’ll be exhausted then. Both of you will be. And doesn’t Jihyo have script reading to attend to in the afternoon? That’s one of the reasons why we decided to change the game a bit for this week.”

“Owh. Well, we still need to meet up and discuss about this. What do you have in mind?”

“How about the day after tomorrow? And I suggest you bring along one of the running man members that you can trust. It’ll help you to keep in check how close you guys get in filming. It’s just a suggestion. Come on… The last game is going to start soon.”

Myuk PD lightly pat on Jong Kook’s shoulder and gave a slight nod to Jihyo before turning around to walk back to the set. Jihyo who was still holding on to Jong Kook’s hand squeezed her hand tightly while shutting her eyes tight. It felt like a death sentence to her.

Stupid. Stupid. It was all that she could say about herself. Who in their right mind would tell the PD that they want to do a love line with someone and then show another story behind-the-scene.  She might as well have requested to do a love line with Jong Kook and stop causing any complications. Jihyo started banging her head on Jong Kook’s thick arms.

“Hey…” Jong Kook whispered, all the while glancing around swiftly for people. “Stop it. It’s ok. We’re going to work his out. We’ll continue after filming ok.”

Jong Kook pushes Jihyo to enter the set first before him and as Jihyo started to walk away, he pulled her back naughtily and kissed her hand before truly letting her go. Jihyo rolled her eyes and stick out her tongue before walking away smiling.

Jong Kook still headed to the washroom instead of walking back to the set. His head was full of thoughts. He was thinking of the relationship, the outcome of it and the thing that made him felt sick was the thought of whether their relationship was worth the trouble.

It was not something new. In fact, he had thought about it more since Running Man started the month back. They were just three months into the relationship. It was supposed to be fresh, exciting and new. All new relationships were supposed to be like that. Well, all normal relationships according to Jong Kook’s mind. But they were not. In fact, they treat each other more like friends. Close friends to be exact… with benefits, maybe. They never did IT. No, not yet. Jong Kook respected Jihyo’s wishes. But yes, they kissed, they hugged and they held hands.

At times, they would call and text to exchange assuring words to one another. Yes, that was it… Assuring words. But it was not loving and passionate ones. Maybe they repeated it too much that it became a habit. Or maybe, he was just too muddled up in his thoughts.  

Jong kook forgot about returning back to the set and continued looking at his reflection at the sink. His mind was definitely somewhere else or else he would have noticed Jaesuk walking in and standing beside him looking at him intently.

“Jong Kook ah. Yah! What’s wrong?”

“Owh. Hyung. Sorry, I had a lot to think. Is everyone ready for the shoot? Let’s go.”

“Yah… How long have I known you Kook Jong ah? I’ve known you from way before. Since Xman.. eh, I think I knew you before then. How can I not know when my dongsaeng needs help? Let’s have a talk after filming today okay?”

Jong Kook nodded and Jaesuk patted Jong Kook’s back before making their way to the set. Everyone was there, already waiting. PD Jo was breaking up the members into teams of two; the mission team and the chasing team. Jihyo, Jaesuk, Gary, Haha and Joongki were in the mission team. Whereas Jong Kook, Kwang soo, Yuri and Sukjin were in the chasing team. They split up to their starting points before further instructions were given.

Both teams were doing well on their own. The chasing team had already eliminated Gary, Jaesuk and Joongki. The mission team had find three receipts and they had two more to go. Only Jihyo and Haha were left surviving. Haha found one of the receipts and out of fear he hid in a storage room. Jihyo on the other hand had little luck. She had fought head on with Kwang soo, to the point where she threw her shoe at him so that she could escape. But this time round, it was the commander. There was no way she could win with her strength.

So she stepped out and walked confidently towards him and then she kneeled on the floor. She bowed and then approached him, locking her arms around his legs. She pouted and did aegyo and she even pretended to cry and beg. Jong kook’s heart softened looking at her act. He could remember why he fell for her in the first place. In the end, he gave up and told her to leave. And as she left, he could not help it. He followed her for a few steps and continued staring at her as she ran.

Jihyo-yah… You can never run away from me. My heart will somehow follow your paths, leading me back to you.

Jong Kook’s walkie talkie sounded, interrupting his thoughts. “Hyung! We found Haha Hyung. He’s hiding in the storage room at the second floor! Quick!”  

The game ended with the mission team’s win and the chasing team heading out for punishment.

“Oppa, will you take long for the punishment?” Asked jihyo as she packed up her things.

“I don’t know. You know what. Why don’t you rest? I’ll call you up later on today, okay?”

“Urhmm. But what about… you know…”

“Don’t worry. I’ll call you up for that later. Now go back and sleep. And… Good luck for your script reading later.”

The members entered the resting room once Jong Kook finished talking and Jong Kook continued packing before heading out with the rest of the members to carry out the punishment. Jihyo felt a small disappointment when Jong Kook didn’t leave a kiss for her and watched sadly as he walked away.

Jihyo too was about to walk away when Jaesuk caught up with her.

“Can I ask you something?”

“Owh… Sunbaenim. Erm… Of course. What is it?”

“Is there anything going on with you and Jong Kook?”

“Mwuh? Eyyy. Sunbaenim… Do we even look like we’re fit to be with other?”

“Yes. And I’m going to have a drink with him later, probably to discuss about this.” Jihyo stopped at her steps and looked at her sunbae, shock filled her face. “I saw it Jihyo yah. How Jong Kook let you off just now. And how you before that. I was just about to walk to the jail. It’s different from how you did to Gary.”

Jihyo kept on being quiet.

“Let’s have a sit there. There’s nobody around and I have to wait for Jong Kook which would take some time. What’s bothering you?”

Jihyo opened and closed it, unsure of what to tell. Jaesuk just continued looking at her, with an air of a patient father waiting to listen to their daughter’s troubles.

“Sunbaenim.  I love him. I know I do. And I’m sure he loves me too. I don’t know. Sometimes… It feels like he’s so far away from me.  And it caused me to doubt him. Sunbae, we’ve been together for 4 months. But the first three months before running man started, we only contacted each other once each month. Yes we had conflicting schedules and we were both busy. But I can't help thinking back to when we first wanted to know about one another. Before that, we were enjoying each other’s company through the secret dates that we went to. Is this even a proper relationship, the current one that we have?”

“Ahhh. I see. Jihyo yah. If you truly mean what you say… You would put in all your effort in that relationship, wouldn’t you?”

Jihyo looked up to study his sunbae’s face. He clearly understood her situation without wanting to get much information. Jihyo respected that. It was her thoughts, her emotions and most importantly, it was her choice. Had she truly loved Jong Kook or was it just a fling? Had she said the words I love you too much that she was afraid to see what would happened if she stopped.

Jihyo smiled and stood up before bowing gratefully to Jaesuk and left. Jaesuk then headed to the restaurant where Jong kook was waiting. By the time he arrived, it was 6 in the morning. Both of them had eye bags, clearly a sign for them to sleep. But Jaesuk knew that this was important and he listened to Jong Kook intently, waiting for him to finish before interrupting.

“Hyung. I don’t know. Sometimes, it feels like our relationship is nothing but at other times, I want her. I need her so bad. I feel like she completes me. She makes me happy.”

“Then Jong kook ah… Can you explain to me what happened during your first three months?”

“What?... How did you know… hyung… did Jihyo come to you?”

Jaesuk smiled. “I came to her. And she told me of her insecurities. She’s unsure of the relationship. Not because of the lack of emotion but because of the lack of effort… Think about it Jong Kook ah. And as for hiding your relationship. That is easy. Leave it to me and I’ll talk to PD Myuk. Jong Kook ah. I have to go now. But the man needs to lead in the relationship. Yah! Can you imagine what  it is like if Jihyo drags you around the house after you get married!”

“What?! HYUNG! I thought you were great being serious and all and now you have to JOKE! Wahhhh. What is this?”

“I’m just saying. You both know that you love each other. But love, Kook Jong ah… Is complicated. It needs to be nurtured. If you leave it like that, it’s going to fade away….” Jaesuk stood up, signalling that he was going to leave. “I’m sorry I can’t wait for Gap jin. I have to go back. My wife needs my love too! Think about it carefully Jong kook ah.”

Jong kook ruffled his hair and picked up his phone. He looked at his pictures and kept searching through it. He kept swiping the screen again and again until he saw the picture that the wanted. It was a picture of him and Jihyo together after the Family outing filming. They were side by side, smiling brightly at the camera, stiff and shy but bright and bubbly. This was what he missed.

“I love you Jihyo yah, that I know. But I need something to make sure of it.” Jong Kook closed his eyes and made a silent wish.

I wish you could show me a sign, any sign for me to know that I still love her as much as I say I do. Dear God, I would love her as much as I could if I knew. Show me, prove it to me.

Gap Jin called soon after and Jong kook got up and left, not knowing what the future would bring him. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: 

Hehehe... and @Sheken got it right! Omo!!! 
but yep.... it's just wrong to leave out Jaesuk and Haha since he's very close to Jong Kook. Haha's part will come up later (SPOILER!). 

thank you @niheoxinh!!! XDXDXD I just love Predascal's writting though... It's just the right amount of cute and sweet. But I hope my style is ok for you! 

Thank you for those who read and guessed! 
What do you think the future would bring to Jong Kook? Well, since he wanted a sign to help him see how much he loves Jihyo...
Jong Kook oppa... be careful what you wish for. ^^