Chapter 9

The story of us.

Two months passed and their relationship had been nothing but strong. It was different compared to before. Jong kook called her whenever she was not shooting and Jihyo called him first in between her breaks just because she misses him so. The two months that passed meant that their relationship was growing stronger. It also meant that the drama that Jihyo was currently shooting was halfway done.  It also meant that they were starting to show their closeness whenever they were together.

“Ya! Jihyo ah! Why do you always treat me like this? It’s tiring to be with you! STRESS!” Gary was acting like his usual self, exploding out loud when Jihyo avoided his manly charms.

This time round, Jihyo was following Jong kook wherever he went. At one point Jihyo even put her hand around Jong kook’s arms and held him tight as she tip toed and whispered something to his ear. The other members suspected nothing. Who would suspect a thing? They were, of course, the commander and ace couple. Whenever they were sure that both of them were not the xman, or the Spy, they would always somehow get together to annihilate the other members.

However, on that particular day, Kang Gary of Jamsil felt insecure.

“Jihyo yah! I think we should have a bit of Monday couple moments here! Look! There’s a place with the fake BBQ. Let’s pretend we went camping after we got married!”

“Ah!!! WAEEE? Oppa. We don’t have to do that! We have the mission to finish! Palli!”

“Aniya! I won’t go look for anything until we play pretend!”

It was a reflex but it was caught on camera. Jihyo pouted and showed a frustrated face towards Gary. Still, she went to entertain Gary. Jong kook and Haha who saw the whole thing from afar laughed out loud. Jong kook was laughing at his secret girlfriend’s cute reaction while Haha was laughing at Gary’s futile effort.

The only reason why Gary was working so hard was because he did not know. The whole day, he was left out of the plan. This week’s episode was to trick Gary into believing that he was the spy. All of them were to be eliminated by Gary while they search for puzzle pieces that when put together revealed Gary’s face. So it was expected that Jihyo became very slack that day. All the while when she was with Gary, her back was open, easy for him to attack. And he did. Jihyo was out of the game fast.

“Jihyo! I’m so sorry! I had to do it. You will understand why later!” Gary told her as jihyo was dragged to the jail.

Jihyo turned away and did not even bother looking at him. She sent a kick flying in the air, only to be stopped by the people who brought them to jail and Jaesuk.

“Are you angry at me? Hey! You’ll understand later. Jihyo yah, I wouldn’t hurt you. I love you too much to hurt you, you know that.”

The unknown people just dragged Jihyo away.

To Gary’s surprise, Jaesuk’s hand reached out for his mic and covered it well. He did the same to his own microphone. Gary was confused and he looked at Jaesuk, waiting for an explanation.

“Gary ah. Were you serious when you told Jihyo that?” Jaesuk asked as he observed Gary just watching his Monday girlfriend being taken away.

“I used to play and joke around hyung, I know. But it’s true. I’ve fallen for her. Her cute smile. Her angry shouts and kicks. Her stiff dance. Everything.”

“I’m just advising you, Gary ah. Don’t mix your personal feelings with work. Make sure you know that Jihyo feels the same way too else you will only hurt yourself.”

Gary stared at Jaesuk long and hard, his hands already Jaesuk, trying to pull it away from covering his mic. “Are you trying to tell me something hyung?”

“Just an advice. Now come, let’s continue the game. Our VJs are coming back for us.”

 The game ended easily. Gary thought he had won, and the rest of the members had successfully tricked him. Everyone split their own separate ways, except Gary who was still filming his winning speech. Jaesuk approached Jong kook and Jihyo quickly as they walked out to their cars.

“I think you guys need to tell Gary. He has feelings for Jihyo. He told me. This will not go well if you don’t come clean to him. You all know how rebellious he is. He doesn’t care if he hurt himself. Think about it.”

Jaesuk walked away leaving Jong kook and Jihyo standing side by side speechless yet thinking hard. It was never in their intention to hurt Gary. Neither was it in their intention to give him hope.

“Oppa. I’ll tell him.” Jihyo readily supplied.

“No. He’ll get pissed that his own brother, his hyung did not even tell him about it. I’m coming too. We’re telling him together.”

They held hands for a while before splitting up. Jihyo had to go home and rest due to her historical drama shooting the next day. Jong kook meanwhile had to prepare for his album. What they did not notice was Chang Joo in the car, waiting for Jihyo. He had seen the two of them holding hands and talking to each other as if there was a secret between the two. Jihyo was just about to doze off in the car.

“Is there anything between the two of you?”

“Huh? What? Oppa, are you talking to me?”

“Yes… So, is there anything between you two?”

“Me and… Gary? No way! We’re just a couple on screens. You know that.”

“No. You and… Kim Jong Kook….” Chang Joo’s voice gets smaller and smaller.

Jihyo kept quiet for a second. Before replying, “It’s nothing. We’re just close.” She hurried on, changing the subject, “Oppa, I’m really tired from all the tricking and running around. Wake me up when we reach okay!”

It took her maybe two minutes. The car grew silent and soft steadying breaths filled the car. Chang Joo wanted answers. He knew something was not right, no! It was more like as if something was kept a secret. As the traffic lights were red, he stopped and studied her features. Her big forehead is nothing compared to her eyes. He knew they closed but he could imagine them open, staring and looking at him wide and bright, as if they were smiling and shooting stars. Now, it seems like Jong kook and Gary are in his way. Chang Joo stepped on the gas and took a turn. They were not heading home.

“Jihyo yah. We’re here. Wake up.” Chang Joo shook her softly.

Jihyo squinted. People said she looked funny when she woke; A bit bloated, a bit angry and very, very much blur. Chang Joo had to do it. His fingers already at the forehead, ready to strike. When Jihyo started to yawn hugely, he flicked his fingers, resulting in a very, very, very angry and fuming Jihyo but a very, very, very happy Chang Joo.

“YAH! Opppaaaaaaaa!”  

 Chang Joo was still laughing, his hands clutching his stomach seeing Jihyo’s reaction. But Jihyo had frowned, now that she realised where she was. She looked at Chang Joo, eyes full of questions.

“What are we doing here? Is there anything wrong?”

“No. Your mum and dad wanted to have dinner with you. And your brother and sisters are also home early.”

“Huh… what is this? Is there an occasion that I do not know?”

Chang Joo shrugged and grabbed Jihyo’s bag, leading the way to her parents’ house. Chang Joo knew what was going to happen. Jihyo’s mother had informed him of the plan. How they would have a family dinner and then she and Jihyo’s father would break the news to their beloved daughter. Chang Joo was more than excited. He wanted Jihyo to change first at home before going to her parents place, change into something pretty and nice, like a dress. But he was occupied with the thought of Jong kook and Gary. The idea of them sharing what he feels towards Jihyo is absurd to him. That’s why he wanted the dinner to happen faster, and his dream would also come true faster.

Jihyo greeted her parents brightly, giving hugs to everyone, even to her sister and brother who came out of their rooms when they heard the happy, chaotic noise in the living room. Chang Joo bowed and also laughed along, shaking hands and talking to Jihyo’s family as if he part of it.

Dinner was a fun affair. Everyone was sharing the good fortune they had lately with their jobs and lives. Jihyo was the focus of the talk, mainly.

“Wah! Unnie! You have a boyfriend on Monday, huh? Didn’t know that you are that kind of girl! HAHAHAHA!” Jihye started.

“Yah yah yah! He’s just a couple on screens! Don’t start rumours!” Jihyo retaliated.

“Unnie, I don’t need to start rumours. They’re everywhere.” Jihye calmly argued back. “But unnie…  there’s a new fanbase by the netizens. Have you heard?”

“huh? Fanbase? What exactly??” jihyo was intrigued.

“Bluek! I won’t tell you! Go find it yourself!”

“That’s it. Enough both of you! We have a guest; don’t make him feel awkward with talks like this. Sorry Chang Joo. Pardon my daughters. They seem to have forgotten their manners.” Jihyo’s mother interjected.

Suddenly Jihyo’s phone rang. She took a glimpse of if it at the screen. She felt a small smile crawling up to fill her face but she stopped it. She stood up.

“Umma! Appa! Mian! I have to answer this call. It’s my friend from Hong Kong. I need to tell her something.”

Everyone nodded in agreement and Jihyo walked into the kitchen, away from her family’s sight yet still keeping her eyes on them.

“Yoboseyo~ Oppa!” Jihyo whispered in what she hoped sounded sweet.

“Owh. Yoboseyo! Jihyo ah, are you asleep already? Is that all you do?” boyfriend at the other end of the line.

Jihyo knew that he was teasing. He probably had a huge smile plastered on his face.

“Oppa, you know that’s one of my favourite things to do.”

“Is it? Then what is your other favourite thing to do?”

“Eating…. Urmmm. Urmmm. I guess that’s all…”

“Ahhh. Ok then. I’ll end the call.”

“hehehe. Oppa! Always so sensitive. Calling you, talking to you and teasing you. That’s my number one favourite thing to do.”

“How about loving me, kissing me? They’re not in the list?” Jong kook pretended to sound shocked and hurt.

“hehehe. Owh. Oppa! I have to go. I’m actually having dinner with my family. I’ll call you back.”

“Owh, jinjja? Why didn’t you tell me? Hmm. I’d like to meet them some day. “

“Hahaha. One day, oppa. My sister is coming! Bye! Ohhh. I love you!”

Just in time, as Jihyo ended the call, Jihye walked in. She stood frozen, eyes set at her sister, knowing that there was valuable information within her.    

“Spill it out! Quick before Umma comes!”

“Spill what out?” Jihyo asked affronted.

“Who were you talking to? Your boyfriend? You don’t have a friend in Hong Kong, do you, you sneak!”

“SNEAK?!” Jihyo’s voice was hoarse from all the whispering. She wanted to scream at Jihye and strangle her.

But it was at that point of time that their mother chose to walked in.

“What’s wrong with my girls? Didn’t I tell you there’s a guest! And now you left him waiting!”

“Umma, we didn’t invite him! You did. You should be the one entertaining him.” Jihyo teased.

“Jihyo yah, come. There’s something I want to say. To all of you actually.”

Everyone made their way back to the dining table and took their seats. It seems that everyone knew that Jihyo’s Mother was going to make an announcement. She smiled and then gloriously look at Chang Joo while saying this.

“Jihyo yah. I talked to Chang Joo about this and he agreed. I want him to be my son-in-law. He’ll be perfect for you!”

There was an eerie stillness in the kitchen now. But nobody seemed to notice. Jihyo’s parents were overjoyed. Chang Joo was still smiling serenely back at her parents. Jihyo was beyond shock. Her siblings just stared at the whole situation, flabbergasted. All not knowing what to do.

“No…” Jihyo said softly.

“Umma, Appa. No…” She said this again, unable to believe.

“Jihyo ah. You will and you must. We believe that he is the best for you.” Her dad said.

Jihyo looked at her father, her hero, her everything. She would move mountains, do the impossible for him. Her father had that old wisdom in his eyes and a load of expectation. Jihyo hung her head.

“Yes, appa.” Was all that came afterwards. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How is this chapter? I wanted to hold it, since I just started back. But my fingers just went on and on and brought this scene forward! 

Thank you to those who are still reading! 

My dad told me to write lyrics. I went.... owhhhhh. I should also try that right? hehehe. I have samples. Maybe I should....

But other than that. Go spartace! Go Monday couple! I ship this two sooo much that sometime, I keep swaying. hehehe. 

LoveXD