Chapter 12

The story of us.

It was 2 in the morning. If you were to walk in the streets, everything would be peaceful, quiet. But it was nothing like that where Gap Jin was. Music was pulsing, blasting loud and clear. There were neon lights and lasers everywhere, if you were to look at it for too long. People were still dancing as if the night just began, but Gap Jin… Gap Jin took his 8th beer and gulped in down, one shot. No – two.

“Are you that upset that I am getting engaged first before you?”

 Gap Jin shook his head, slowly then looked up. His eyes were red. “I never thought that you would ever get married.” He shifted in his seat to face Chang Joo. “Hey, Jihyo readily accepted your proposal? She said yes?”

“Ya. I was surprised, myself. But maybe spending all those days together; sending her to work, getting food. She must have seen how sincere I was.”

“Well, in any case, congrats. I need to get back. I have work tomorrow.”

“You can’t go back in that state! You drank 8 beers. Get a cab or call Jong Kook. He’ll drive you back.”

Gap Jin stopped for a while. He seemed to be thinking but Chang Joo reached ahead and grabbed Gap Jin’s phone.

“Owh. Jong Kook shi. It’s Jihyo’s manager, Chang Joo. I’m with Gap Jin. He drank a little too much since we’re celebrating.”

Back at home, since Gap Jin had went out for a drink he and Jihyo took over the living room. They were watching a cheesy romance film but Jihyo, who had been exhausted lately, fell asleep in her boyfriend’s arms. Jong Kook was too afraid to move in case he woke Jihyo up. So he let the movie run and looked at Jihyo most of them time, just watching her as she sleep.

But now he had to move her and leave her for a while. True friends don’t ditch each other and he knew better than to leave Gap Jin alone. He was more than a manager to him. Slowly, carefully, Jong Kook carried Jihyo to his room and put her on his bed. She squirmed when he lifted her but was in deep sleep to notice anything. He made sure that she is covered with a blanket so as to not get cold, place a kiss on her forehead before heading out.

“Kim Jong Kook shi!” Chang Joo walked out alongside Gap Jin. “So sorry to disturb you at this time. I know you have Running shoot later this afternoon.”

“It’s no problem.  Lucky I was still awake. We’ll better get going then! Gap Jin ah, let’s go.”’ It was all formal talk. True, Jong Kook was never close to Chang Joo but the fact that he was going to be engaged to Jihyo made him look at Chang Joo as a rival. With a nod, both of them went separate ways.

The ride was silent at first. Jong Kook thought that Gap Jin would probably sleep soon enough since he was drunk and looked worn out. Instead, drinking that amount of beers was considered mild to Gap Jin. He was thinking of how to phrase his words to Jong Kook.

“Hyung. You know I’ve worked with you for so long, right? I only want the best for you…” He started to thread the line.

“Gap Jin ah. What’s with all the mushy stuff? Sleep. I’ll wake you up when we reach. You’re drunk anyway...”

“I’m not that drunk. I just wanted to think.” He paused. Jong Kook turned to face him for a split second.

“Think about…” Jong Kook asked.

“You and Jihyo.”

The atmosphere in the car suddenly became cold. The silent was different as it was a few minutes back. Jong Kook’s forehead wrinkled in confusion and anxiousness. He tightened his grip on the steering wheel and kept his focus on driving, waiting for what is to come.

“I don’t know if you know…” Gap Jin continued again slowly. “Jihyo… She’s… She’s engaged to Chang Joo. I don’t think you should be with her right now or ever. You’re going to destroy her relationship and your image. You worked hard for this, hyung.”

They just continued driving, the silence after Gap Jin’s proclamation stretched on and on. They past traffic lights and more buildings and soon enough Jong Kook parked his car. Both of them were about to leave the car when Jong Kook grab Gap Jin’s shoulders.

“She doesn’t love him.” Jong Kook looked seriously at his dongsaeng manager’s eyes. “The engagement has not been set yet. It was just an arrangement Jihyo’s parents’ set.”

Gap Jin looks lost. “So? Even if it’s just an arrangement, it’s her family we’re talking about. You having the relationship with her is just going to hurt the both of you. Wake up, hyung. There’s more girls out there. Moon Geun Young? You like her don’t you. Why don’t I set…”

“You don’t get it yet, do you? I’m not breaking up with her. We’ll fix this. I’ll make her parents see our relationship. I’ll make them see how upset she is with their decision.”

“Hyung…”

“I’m tired and there’s a shoot later on.” Jong kook snapped at him and left. “Lock my car door and bring the key up.”

Jong kook headed to his room straight and Jihyo was still lying peacefully in deep sleep, away from the problems of the world. However, he couldn’t help but to smirk seeing her sleeping, now curled like a ball hands tucked in and below her head.

“Try to fool the world with how innocent you look when you sleep, Jihyo shi. But you can never fool me.” He joked. He knew the moment he disturbed her sleep, she’ll send flying kicks to his face at the first chance.

Slowly, he lay down beside her, giving space between them in case she was not comfortable with him sleeping with a man. Jong kook could hear the door closing outside and he knew Gap Jin had just entered after what he assumed giving space so that both of them could cool down. Jong kook kept looking up at the ceiling and finally, he drifted off to sleep.

Gap Jin, on the other hand noticed that Jihyo’s shoes were still in the house.

“God, she still has the nerve to sleep over at another man’s place even when she’s arranged to be married with someone else.”

He sat on the living room couch, his head resting at the back rest and his eyes closed. Maybe the beers were starting to take effect on him. He couldn’t think clearly. Or maybe he was too angry. He was Jong Kook’s manager after all. Why doesn’t he listen to him? He knew the answer to this. It was all due to that woman. The woman who was in the room. Song Jihyo.

“I’m going to make things right.”